“Mother's Day - What A Treat”
Review of The Boathouse

The Boathouse
Ranked #1 of 2 Kilsyth B&B and Inns
Solihull, England
“Mother's Day - What A Treat”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Family treat and surprise booked for Mother's Day. We travelled 300+ miles to join in the surprise element. We could hardly have been more pleased with the attention of the staff nor with the choice or quality of the meals delivered to us with no fuss. The waitress was happy to offer small tweaks to the menu as displayed - superb.

The restaurant was very very busy but at no time did we feel abandoned by our waitress nor were we rushed to vacate the table.

A thoroughly enjoyable time was had by all. The Glenskirlie could learn a tip or two from The Boathouse.

Room Tip: This is a Restaurant.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Travelling for business as I do I have had some real horror stories in the past. Needless to say I didn’t find one here.

The location for me was great just down the road from Glasgow and with good links to the M8.

Being on the canal and at the foot of some beautiful hills its surroundings are breath-taking to say the least.

Warm welcome and friendly staff compliment the very clean tidy well laid out bar area, I was shown to my room and was just so impressed the size the layout, the standard of fittings, bathroom all of it was great clean and not dated.

My room looked out over the marina which is a postcard in its self.

After a hard day’s work out with a work colleague who lived 10 mins up the road but had never been here before. We met for dinner and a few beers before.

The service was very attentive but not intrusive, we worked at our table and were looked after well, the dinner arrived and I can honestly say it’s pretty much perfect, lots of it hot and delicious and the price knocked me over.

Great night’s sleep and onto breakfast, being a true Englishman I hold our breakfast in high regards...........well I did, the full Scottish at the Boathouse shows we are just playing at breakfast, I now have a favourite brekka and its here no doubts at all.

To conclude you will have already gathered this place is just about as good as it gets, but wait there can’t be more you ask, B&B was £50-00 all in, when I go back in Feb for 2 nights its gone up to £60-00 a night down south they could charge double and still be full.

Keep it up Boathouse and see you in a month.

Spence

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Booked for one night's stay and meal for Hogmanay and have to say it's definitely one of the most memorable New Year's eve -nings I've had. My wife and I were given the Clyde room, all rooms are named after canals, and found it spacious, clean and very well presented. I tend to judge a bathroom on its shower and this one, over a bath was exceptionally good, the type that can drill needles of hot water through you. The view from the bedroom across the basin of canal boats to the hills was a great setting. The lighting was well thought out around the room and particularly over the bed, spotlights allowing reading in bed easier than most others where you tend to have strain your eyes leaning over to a little side table lamp. A flatscreen wall tv had plenty of channel choice. The only drawback I could find was having to walk outside round the building to get to the restaurant, which could be a real problem in bad weather although we were lucky and it was quite dry. The restaurant was great with a high standard of cuisine and friendly staff. A brilliant way of seeing in the New Year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carluke, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I had the pleasure of visiting The Boathouse on Friday 12 October with a friend for lunch. A first for me, but will definitely be repeating the experience. Not having been here before I had no pre conceived expectations. The location on the canal basin is inspiring with beautiful views of the hills and surrounding countryside. Inside, the restaurant was very well presented and relaxing. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. Our starter of Stornaway black pudding with poached egg and mushrooms was presented beautifully and tasted like an angel had made it. (The best poached egg I have ever seen or tasted, quality of the highest degree) I had Haggis Neeps and Tatties for my main and the waitress did ask me if I wanted a half or full, of course I asked for full, as soon as it arrived I understood why they give the option! Big portions. This was a first class eating experience which I would recommend to everyone. Top marks to The Boathouse.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Having read a lot of these reviews, I was really surprised at the negative content. I have been going to The Boathouse since it opened and I have never had any reason to complain ( friends and family are amazed because I like a moan!) I have found the standards of food and service have been excellent, even on Saturday night when I dined with my wife and her family. There was a child's birthday party just winding down as we were seated and the remainder of the restaurant was extremely busy, but our waitress did a sterling job getting us drinks and taking our food order.
Despite the place "bouncing", the service and food were as good as ever and we will be back soon. I must be really lucky!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Can't really comment on the rooms this visit, but we stayed overnight back in April. We had a ro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Scottish friends recommended a weekend stay at The Boathouse hotel and restaurant. The room was well appointed. Everything was clean with towels changed each day. There was good strength Wifi. We had booked for a Friday evening meal, which was excellent food well presented, and with a good selection of wines. Pleasant décor in the restaurant. The hotel is set pleasantly on the small marina on the canal side. Kilsyth itself is not so picturesque but is within reasonable distance of some very pleasant places, including the Trossachs National Park. My mate from college days was our excellent local guide. We saw some beautiful sights during the weekend. The Boathouse was a good base, and I wish we'd returned for the Saturday evening meal, rather than the tack Indian in Stirling. If touring in the area I'd certainly return to stay and eat at the Boathouse.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank muso90_12
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

I eat here on a regular basis but was really disappointed today. Service was really poor. I think when the weather is good and there are lots of people earing outside they just lose track. Waited 45mins for our meal. People who came in after us had a starter and main course before we were served only with a main. The same thing happened last time I sat outside. Poor show folks. The people I was with we're there for the first time and won't be back.

Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Firball2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilsyth
The Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
King Robert Hotel
King Robert Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bannockburn
Glazert Country House Hotel

Been to The Boathouse? Share your experiences!