“Hillhead lets...”

Ranked #2 of 2 Bannockburn B&B and Inns
inverness
“Hillhead lets...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Ideally located for investigating the local area we picked this venue as oppose to choosing the usual hotel chain we normally use for short breaks.first impressions were positive as we got checked in with relative ease.the room was very clean and tidy.however as in other reviews we found the beds to be ultra uncomfortable,with the kids sleeping on camp-style fold downs.there was a skylight in the roof which had no blind and so from 3 am,bright light filled the room and made it difficult to sleep.another disappointment was that our room was not restocked with fresh towels and tea,coffee and milk which is a basic requisite of any accomodation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Alasdair M, Manager at Hillhead Farm Lets, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Puzzled by this review!

The customer refused fresh towels etc as they did not want disturbed!

The camp beds they refer to are actually quality fold away beds which are only in our family room and are for SMALL children as is advertised!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Huddersfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Certainly not my first or last stay at Hillhead Farm Lets; better value and less noise than the Premier across the road at Pirnhall and I get a warm welcome from Alasdair. I had the benefit of the loft, family room on this visit which gave me plenty of space to spread the paper work out and catch up on the e-mails (free wi fi); eventually learned that there was a sloping roof (ouch!). Very clean and comfortable and no need to pay too much for unwanted breakfasts. Fridge in the room if you wanted to do healthy cereal/milk. Extra bonuses of visiting in July; the chance to stretch my legs in the countryside and not have to dig myself out of the snow drifts (happy memories!)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here on Saturday 22nd of June with 7 other people. We booked all four of the rooms so I had a chance to look at them all. Firstly I'd like to say that we all found the mattresses to be perfectly comfortable as I had read previous reviews saying this was not the case and also read the owner had replaced some of them.

There are three downstairs rooms and one upstairs, all had flat screen tv's, electric shower and hair dryer provided, the upstairs room has a fridge in it as we'll which was fab. Everything is very modern, clean and spacious. We were lucky enough to a nice spell of weather so we were able to sit out in the garden area, there's a bench as well as a grass area to sit.

The location is perfect, it's only a few minutes from the motorway but set in a nice peaceful area so no noise whatsoever. It's only a short drive, bus ride or taxi into Stirling itself and there's plenty of space to park.

For breakfast the next morning, we went across the road where it was all you can eat for around £8 and there was plenty of choice.

I would definitely recommend staying here and would stay again myself, it was more homely than staying in a hotel and great value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Stafford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I stopped here for the night on 3rd June on our way through to Skye..

I'll be honest and keep this short and sweet, we had no problem or issue with the location and cleanliness of this accommodation but, if you want a comfortable bed after a long journey, DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS PLACE!
If you don't mind mattress springs prodding into every part of your body, making your night long and restless, THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO STOP OVER.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank timford111
Alasdair M, Owner at Hillhead Farm Lets, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
June 18th

Thanks for the review!

We have taken this review on board and others similar to it and have replaced our single mattresses with brand new memory foam ones.

Travelers are raving about these Bannockburn hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed one night lovely room. In response to other comments you can hear other guests but they can here you too! The bed could be alot better more pillows, alter the angle of the TV. My advise would be for the owner to spend a night in each room and tweak accordingly. This has the potential to be even better. A great location :)

• Stayed June 2013
Kilkenny, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

First impressions were poor and we should have turned around and left. Took 10 minutes to find anyone to help us and a further 10 minutes before they actually came out to help.

Water was pouring into the room from outside, wifi didn't work, electric heating is stuffy and horrible, could hardly turn around in the bathroom never mind the shower. The beds were soft and lumpy, doesn't get much worse than this.

Never again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your review.

Sorry you felt like this but we have a new manager in place and have put steps in place so that it never happens again.
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is conveniently close to the motorway. Unfortunately, that is the only thing I liked about it.

My first impression was not good, as there was nobody at reception to greet us. As I stood at the door knocking, my partner spotted a note to us on the adjacent notice board, stating that the proprietor had gone out, and that we were to let ourselves in (the key to our room had been left in the door). Due to the heating, the room was uncomfortably hot (when it had been snowing outside), but that was preferable to it being cold. The room was adequate, but small, and felt smaller due to the heavily sloping roof. The television was small and so far from the bed (having been attached to the opposite wall, above the stairs) that it might as well not have been there. The television also had no DVD player, but that was not expected anyway.

The bed was hard and the pillows were very flat, which did not help me sleep. What made trying to sleep worse was a cover over the ventilation duct in the shower room. This cover flapped around in the wind (which was admittedly very strong) during the night, and was loud enough to wake me and my partner up periodically. In the morning, as the skylight had no proper curtain, the light streamed in, so there was no real chance of a lie-in. The shower room does not have a bath (hence why I am calling it a shower room), which is clearly stated on the website, but I prefer a shower anyway. More annoying was the lack of a towel rail, or indeed anything on which to hang my towel.

The hotel offers no dining facilities, and instead our room had a menu for the Premier Inn which is literally on the other side of the road. The hotel was upfront about this; I just found it be an amusing way of advertising their primary competitors.

Parking my car in the first place was easy enough, but getting it out again required more manoeuvring, as the owner had parked their car in such a way that it made getting out of the exit very difficult.

Free internet access was apparently available, but I had no need for it, so I cannot comment further on that aspect. The views from the hotel were lovely, but this is more a feature of the area than the hotel specifically.

I would have mentioned some of these issues to the manager (who I assume owns the place), but as he wasn't in when we left, I didn't have the opportunity to. I did briefly see him once when entering my room, and he seemed very friendly, but I hadn't accrued the above list of faults at that time, and there was no other opportunity to mention anything to him in person. Unfortunately, friendliness doesn't compensate for a poor stay at the hotel.

I stayed here because I was visiting a friend in Stirling, and if I was visiting Stirling again, I would stay at the Premier Inn on the other side of the road rather than at Hillhead Farm Lets. The price is about the same (cheap), and the Premier Inn offers more. That is a real shame, as this hotel could offer a much more cosy experience, if they sorted out the problems.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DrPaP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bannockburn
Stirling Court Hotel
Premier Inn Stirling City Centre Hotel
The Barn Lodge
The Barn Lodge
#1 of 2 in Bannockburn

Been to Hillhead Farm Lets? Share your experiences!