“Okay for a quick lunch”

The Sailor's Galley Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Bay Bulls
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Open June through August The Sailor's Galley Restaurant is conveniently located on the upper level of O'Brien's Whale and Bird Tours seaside chalet. Relax and take in the views of the stunning harbor while enjoying a delicious meal that will satisfy all of your senses. Whether you are waiting to take a boat tour, docking after one of our excursions, or looking to enjoy a meal in a relaxing environment, the Sailor's Galley Restaurant is just the place. We proudly serve a wide selection of Newfoundland cuisine along with a more traditional menu. We are told our Seafood Chowder, Pan Fried Cod and Fish & Chips are amongst the very best, seafood is our specialty after all. Don't rush out, our fresh, homemade desserts are delicious and not to be missed! Patio dining available.
Columbus, Ohio
“Okay for a quick lunch”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stopped by for lunch after a whale watching tour. Overall we were happy with the service and food. Most of the group ordered fish and chips, which were average. Two in the group ordered the lobster roll. If you are expecting a Maine-style roll, with chunks of lobster in mayo, then do NOT order the roll at this place. What we got: lobster shredded into very small pieces, overwhelmed by the flavor of red pepper. The quality was fine but ask ahead to make sure you are not surprised!

• Visited July 2013

Stafford, United Kingdom
“The restaurant - poor service”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having arrived at the restaurant at 6.30 we were told that it closed at 7 ordered food which was ok but it was obvious they wanted to close -very unfriendly or perhaps we had just got used to the hospitality in the north of the country, they either want tourists or they don't, but one thing is for certain would not recommend and will definitely not return

3 Thank Alrewas1
Corner Brook, Canada
“A major disappointment”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Since I was staying in a local B&B while whale watching in the area, I ended up here for lunch. I ordered deep-fried fish but substituted a salad for the ubiquitous french fries. The salad was completely inedible: a heap of black, slimy spinach. The fish itself would probably have been quite good, but the batter was completely without seasoning and was flat-tasting. The large piece of fish had folded over when being dropped into the fryer, though, and when I cut into the center of it, the batter was still cold and liquid. The server was understanding and helpful and didn't charge me for this unfortunate mess, but the meal was terribly disappointing. When I'm back in the area, I'll definitely be avoiding this place.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank NLfoodie
Kate J, Manager at The Sailor's Galley Restaurant, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we are terrible sorry you had such a bad experience here with us at the Sailor's Galley Restaurant. I would encourage you to come and visit us again the next time you are in the area as I am confident you will not be dissapointed. We often receive rave reviews for our fish and chips and I believe it must have been an off day when you were here. I apologize for the inedible salad, the kitchen never should have sent out what you have described here. Our salads are made using fresh ingredients however during your visit it appears to not have been the case and we are very sorry for that.
St. John's, Canada
“Great food”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Galley has a limited menu selection but the food is fabulous and the atmosphere and view are great! A perfect lunch or dinner venue.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank 159FernB
Barrie, Canada
“Restaurant-Bad Experience!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I spent 8 glorious days in NL and the only bad experience we had was at O'Brien's restaurant. We had made reservations in the morning for 6:00-6:30 p.m. that night for 2 lobster dinners. We arrived at 6:10 p.m. and there were only 2 other couples in the restaurant at this time, so it wasn't busy. The waitress confirmed with us that we were having the lobster dinners, served us our water (no other drinks were ordered). We then waited for at least 45-50 minutes and we had still not been served our dinner. It should be noted that it takes 20 min. only to cook the lobster! By this time, the restaurant was full. My husband finally got up and approached the waitress asking her where our dinners were. Not more than a few minutes later, she came out of the kitchen with our orders. When we began to eat, we found the lobsters to be warm, not hot, and tough. Hailing from N.S., I know what a fresh lobster tastes like and this was not fresh. It had little taste. Before paying the bill, we asked to speak to the manager who, apparently, was not there. The waitress asked if we wanted to speak to the cook and we said we did. About 10 min. later, the waitress came to us advising that the cook was too busy to come and speak with us but that we could go to the side door and see her on the way out. We paid the bill ($81.34 and this is why we actually finished the lobster) and spoke to the cook. When I advised that I am originally from N.S., her response was that these lobsters were, in fact, from N.S. as the NL lobster season was finished; that no one has 'ever' complained about their lobsters in the past and that the lobsters had been steaming when she brought them out of the pot. There is no doubt that they were probably steaming; however, how long had they been sitting in the kitchen before the waitress picked them up to bring them to our table? The only apology we received was from the waitress who said, 'Sorry about that'. Where was the customer service and hospitality conducive to Newfoundlanders? Granted, the restaurant, at that point, was busy. However, since the manager was not there, couldn't someone have found a way to try to make the customer (us) happy? Could she have suggested perhaps coffee and dessert on the house? Or, could she have taken 10% off the bill as a good gesture so that, if and when we come back to NL, we would return? My husband and I are not 'high maintenance' people and we do not complain about things unless it is warranted. We were very, very disappointed in the food, the service, and the cavilier mentality of both the waitress and the cook. When we visit NL again, we will not eat at this restaurant!!

DW - Barrie, ON