“Total Disappointment”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Comala
Kelowna, Canada
“Total Disappointment”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I had done a fair amount of research on this B and B, and it sounded lovely.We left Carayes to experience a small village. We arrived mid afternoon, Jupiter was the most unfriendly host i have ever dealt with. The rooms were ok, the bathroom sink had streaks of toothpast all over, Breakfast was uncomfortable, felt like were were invading their home.There was not a place to have dinner in Comala, after 8pm.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Karate-Di
ComalaHostessMara, Owner at Casa Alvarada, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Dear Diane and Joel:

Thank you both for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our bed and breakfast.
We are certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been.
We would like to apologize on behalf of Casa Alvarada and its team for your disappointing experience.
Our team has being instructed to stress on the cleanliness situations you mentioned and will make our best effort to raise our standards. About dinner time after the “botaneros” are closed at 18:00, there are at least 5 different options to choose; those are mentioned in a the booklet guide of the town we have in our rooms. We noticed that your experience was also affected by the fact that the rooms are connected to our house and the breakfast is served in our dining room, but that’s a defining characteristic of a bed and breakfast and we struggle ourselves to keep a maximum of respect of our guest privacy, so we will work on apply a kind of refurbishment to create much thicker underlay which we believe will soften any noise coming into the rooms via any doorways.
In regards to our service to you during your just one night stay and from those hours you were here, we can’t be sure of what we did or didn’t do to make you feel that way, but we are nothing else than sorry about it and can do lees to invite you to accept our apologies and do hope that the memories of the rest of your trip to the Mexican pacific coast were more enjoyable.
Mara y Júpiter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Corrales, NM
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Casa Alvarada in September of 2009 (I'm a bit behind on reviews, sorry). We decided to stay in Comala to see the smaller village side of Mexico and we weren't disappointed. Jupiter and Mara were very gracious hosts. There were a few guests staying when we were there and it was great interacting with everyone during breakfast.

I did a tour with Jupiter that included a hike and a tour of a local coffee farm. We also did some driving around as well. Jupiter is exceptionally knowledgeable about the area and rightfully proud of the area as well. His English was outstanding (thank goodness, my Spanish stinks!).

Their recommendations for what to see and where to eat were spot on. I would highly recommend this place, great value and a truly wonderful little pueblo.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ComalaHostessMara, Manager at Casa Alvarada, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thanks so much for your review, when our guest write about us like this, we have an smile in our face for a long time.
We share this with all the staff an allow us to keep the effort, we will wait for a comeback.
Saludos desde Comala
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Jupiter Rivera is a gentleman, outdoor enthusiast and now I consider him a friend.
He and his wife have a stunning bed and breakfast and he runs amazing bicycle / kayak / educational hacienda tours

Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Excellent place. Stating anything would be just repeating what other people say. We will come back, highly recomended.

Room Tip: Book tours with Jupiter during your stay, you will be glad you did.
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I have learned that good service and quality rooms take hard work and a lot of care. After a 3 night stay at Casa Alvarada, I can say that the owners/mangers must be very hard workers indeed! The attention to detail is amazing and they have turned hospitality into a science. We left feeling satisfied and very happy!
Beyond that, I would give the highest marks in every area. The rooms felt homey and clean. Jupiter (the owner) was a local expert about everything in the area. The meals were tasty and a delight. We left this place feeling richer for learning about Comala and fortunate for staying choosing Casa Alvarda!

Room Tip: Get the suite!
Austin, TX
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We had read numerous reviews that were very complimentary and that set our expectations. When we booked a room and paid a deposit we were told that there would be a kitchenette however when we got there that room was no longer available!
The room we got was quite large but with a really small TV on the far side of the room. While we didn't go there to watch TV it was nice to have for later in the day since the town was really quiet after ~ 8.00pm.
One thing we were looking forward to at this B&B was the 3 course breakfast since this was featured on their website. We have stayed at numerous B&Bs and this breakfast was disappointing when compared to others. The 1st course of fresh fruit was nice but the juice was from a can of highly sweetened something but certainly not from fresh fruit. 2nd course was some sweet breads and 3rd course was a small serving of egg (single?) scrambled with minced chorizo and a tortilla, the same for each of 3 days.
Aside from the B&B it was fun to walk to the local plaza and sample the tapas bars - they keep serving until you say no mas - all for the price of a drink. They do close up at 6.00pm though. The ex-Hacienda Nogueras Cultural Center is well worth visiting as is the volcano if the weather is clear. We couldn't see it due to the heavy cloud cover.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
ComalaHostessMara, Owner at Casa Alvarada, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
We defenitly will take care of your comments making sure the situations about the breakfast will not happen again. Theanks so much for the feedback
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have stayed at this gem of a B & B several times over the years and I have brought friends with me and sent friends there on their own. I have also recommended it to several people who have asked me where to stay in Colima or Comala. I have never had a bad experience at Casa Alvarada and I have always had an excellent sleep. It is very quiet and peaceful at night. None of my friends have ever been anything less than very pleased with their stays there either.

The hosts Jupiter and Mara are very welcoming and the rooms have always been very clean and in good repair. In my many visits I have at one time or another stayed in all of the rooms. My favorite is the blue room, the one they call El Mosaico Rivera just because personally the colour scheme appeals to me the most. The other room El Murmullo Rulfiano done in an orange colour scheme is is also very nice and the suite which they call El Moñar Rangeliano is great if you are more than two people or if you want more space and a kitchenette. All accommodations come with a private bath and all have wifi internet access.

The grounds outside of the rooms are private, secure and very nicely landscaped. They have a swing bed that is great to lie back in to take a nap or star gaze. The grounds have space for secure parking for about two vehicles.

The breakfasts are excellent. Host Jupiter says that even if you stay 30 days you will have a different breakfast for each day of your stay. I have had several of his breakfast selections over the many visits I have made there and all have been excellent.

I have stayed in other hotels in Colima and for me the only place I will stay again is Casa Alvarada.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nan N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Comala
Hacienda de San Antonio
#12 of 21 in Colima
Fiesta Inn Colima
Fiesta Inn Colima
#2 of 21 in Colima

Been to Casa Alvarada? Share your experiences!