“Interesting Tour - Shame about the tasting!”
Review of Torres

Torres
Book In Advance
More Info
$92.20*
and up
Wine and Cava Day Trip to Jean Leon, Torres and Freixenet Wineries form...
More attraction details
Owner description: Torres winery is only a 40 minute drive from Barcelona, surrounded by one of the most emblematic vineyards of the family - Mas La Plana - the birthplace of the prestigious red wine with the same name, and is an ideal place to experience a variety of unique activities, such as wine tastings, different wine and food pairings, blind tapas and personalized visits.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The tour of the vineyard is very interesting, multi-lingual and takes you to the main part of the vineyard. Lots of information, and well presented (although I am not sure about the 'senses' part at the beginning!)

However...
...I would have liked to have known more about the grapes & vines (and maybe taken into a part of the vines to see)
...The wine tasting was a bit lacklustre. Only 1 white tasting was on offer (included in the price), and you had to pay for more. The white was exceptional, but I wasn't swayed to buy as I am more of a red drinker. I would have been more tempted to buy some bottles if there had been more tastings on offer.

1  Thank OnTheCoastAl
bodegastorres, Director de Recepción at Torres, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear “On the coast”,

First of all, thank you for your comment about your experience at our Visitors’ Centre, we are very glad you liked the tour.

Secondly, the basic tour is 1 hour long and designed for people that have limited time but would like to get to know a little bit more about the winemaking process, the history of the Torres family and the life cycle of the vine – presented in the tunnel of seasons – and finish their visit with a glass of wine, white or red, according to the season. We offer many different tours and tastings that offer something for everyone.

We are very sorry if your fist stay with us was not up to all of your expectations and hope you will come back and maybe enjoy another type of experience that will be more to your liking.

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I visited here and were fascinated by the winery tour. Well worth a drive from Barcelona/Sitges.

Dear Mrs. ALove,

Thank you so much for your kind comment, we are glad you enjoyed the visit. We hope that every time you open a bottle of our wines it will bring back nice memories of you stay at our Visitors’ Centre.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I participate in a day tour from Barcelona that included visit to 3 wineries and Torres was the highlight of the tour for me...

We first started with the little train tour of the facility with the recorded history and explanation...It was cute and interesting but a bit long in my taste...We followed up with the tasting. We had 3 wines...1 white and 2 reds paired with cheeses and tortilla. They explained about the wine and which cheese it was paired with. I was also glad they provided another ''set'' of cheeses so we can try different combo for ourselves. I really enjoy the 3 wines we sampled. The white wine (esmeralda) was great and cheap so I bought a bottle. I was also really glad to find out i can have it at home as well...Light and Fruity wine, perfect with soft cheese and a hot summer day...I wish the english of the guide was a bit better as i feel her explanation would have been more complete if i understood spanish...i did receive explanation though and since i'm not really knowledgeable as far as wine is concern, it was good enough for me...

After the tasting, we had time to go to the bar and sample other wines and brandy. The brandy is good but i loved the Mas Laplana their flagship wine. A bit expensive but worth it in my taste...I also bought a bottle (this one is too expensive at home for me to buy so good savings even with the price it was...)

A short stop at the shop to get the bottles at the end of the tour and i was very happy!

1  Thank Jean-François N
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was one of the most boring tours I have ever been on. I like wine (I am a student after all), and was looking forward to the tour, particularly tasting the wines. But no, there was only a tasting of ONE red wine. It was ok, but I wasn't in love with it. I thought free wine tasting involved tasting several wines, but apparently it does not. If you want to pay an additional 2 euros you can taste another wine.

We were also herded round a museum of wine making paraphernalia, which was mildly interesting at best. After the disappointing wine tasting, we got the pleasure of watching a film I can only assume is titled "All Hail Torres", because that is what it was. Torres family propaganda about how wonderful they are. Finally, we took a cramped bus tour round the vineyards, into some sort of giant concrete car park and through where the wines are stored. None of it was scintillating.

At the end we were given the chance to purchase some wines from the extensive shop. We chose not to, as without a tasting, how were we to know what they were like? Very disappointing.

4  Thank tinyfairy91
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We went here as part of a Busplana tour. What does "Wine tasting also included in the price" mean to you? If it means a mouthful of red wine splashed into a glass AND NOTHING ELSE, then this is the tour for you. Yes, that's all. One mouthful of red wine. And no choice of red or white - it's take it or leave it. I repeat - one mouthful. You can pay for more wine to taste - at the cost of 2.50 for a part glass. Oh, I almost forget. You get a mini breadstick, too.

There is a museum of wine-related paraphernalia, which is mildly interesting. You are taken into a theatre and shown a film which tells you time and time again how wonderful the Torres family is - innovative, forward-thinking, environmentally friendly - and so on.

Then, we were herded onto a trolley bus. I do mean herded. Adults were made to take their children onto their laps, even when they were aged around 11, and we all crushed on. You are given headphones to listen to a commentary. This has some interesting points to make, but mostly in continues in the "Torres Family is Wonderful" theme. You drive into what looks and feels like the ground floor of a multi-storey car park where the bus stops and you sit in the dark. Well, you do if you were on my side of the bus. Unbeknownst to me, a film was being projected onto the right hand side wall. I just couldn't see it because of the children sitting on their parents' laps. Then we moved, drove past some barrels and it's into the shop. In a thoroughly bad mood by now, we bought nothing (this was just as well - it's much cheaper in the supermarkets or duty free). All the Russians on the trip were seriously impressed, buying up armfuls of stock.

The whole experience was dull, superficial and sterile. At no point did I feel connected to the world of wine-making. There was no intimacy and no sense of being welcome. I came away feeling cheated. Time spent on holiday is precious, and this place wasted mine. Many years ago, I visited the Cordorniu cava caves nearby. That was a wonderful and fascinating tour and I still buy their Cava to this day. I left this place feeling so annoyed that my one mouthful of wine is all I will ever taste.

2  Thank Asthenia_12