“Great Hotel and Staff”

Kassandra Bay Resort & SPA
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vasilias
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We Spent 10 Days at the Kassandra Bay Hotel and I have to say this has to be one of the nicest locations I have ever been too!

Positives - Staff are very nice, helpful, attentive and really genuinely happy / smiley (often hard to find), location next to the beach, bus top next to the hotel which goes to main beaches of the island, views from the room incredible, pool awesome, bar next to pool brilliant, restaurant / pool bar food very good, great selection for breakfast buffet - though I’m sure about chips every day, wifi works pretty much everywhere on the premises, Staff well presented all the times, Bedrooms / bathroom are amazing and felt luxurious, very clean and felt very comfy and homely! Great to see the GM (Efi) taking his time to say hello to customer, checking they are OK, he like his staff made our holiday special - so thank you for this!!

Negatives - Restaurant Manager (I presume) - scruffy compared to staff (combat shorts, shirts looks non ironed, overgrown beard, lacked empathy (which was addresses by the GM of the hotel). Gym well the equipment is about 20 years old, there is no running machine working, some bikes are really squeaky, no water facilities for drinking, air con is very poor, no towels, some equipment broken or dangerous to use. No Spa open. Downstairs toilets stink and no locks on doors. No drink making facilities or alcohol in fridge, plus once the comp drinks were drunk they were not replaced - though this may have to be requested. No Pool service.

We really enjoyed our stay at Kassandra Bay, we certainly got what we wanted in terms of a relaxing and lazy holiday by the sea.

But do feel that there are some areas as highlighted above that would be worth addressing to really be considered a 5 star hotel. I know times are difficult and most hotels prices are being dropped in Greece at the moment, and we did not pay 5 star prices here but I would expect a 5 star hotel to have complete / working order facilities ie the GYM and the Spa that is coming.

Would we come back again, YES it was a great stay and came away happy and relaxed and would not be put off by some of the faults.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marcus W
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear S.A73,
thank you for taking time to post your review on trip advisor I am glad to hear that your holiday in overall was what you expected and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
Just a quick comment to add on your review; the guy you thought is the restaurant manager is our outsource consultant brought in at the hotel to improve our standards of service and operation. He is strict and precise as well commented by you but not involved in hotel's daily operation; thus not in contact with clients.
As far as the mini bar is concerned this is hotel's complimentary service and not refilled after first consumption. Our room service is always at clients disposal for ordering food & beverages.
Our Spa is not in operation, but will be later on this year. Comments about gym have been taken into account and passed on to maintenance department. On our continuous effort to improve we hold your feedback to heart and promise to have these abovementioned faults eliminated.
We hope to welcome you to Kassandra Bay Hotel in the future!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We had an enjoyable week at this hotel and would echo all the postives listed by previous guests. However we would also agree that the thing that lets this place down is the appalling pool/beach side drinks service and the negative attitude of some of the waiting / bar staff. We love the island and in the current economic situation hotels must surely want to retain its tourist client base. However, as return visitors, the hotel still seems 'in denial' when it comes to turning this aspect around, insisting they don't have a problem. Visit the Aphrodite Hills hotel Cyprus to see how it should be done.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Kalaitzidis, Manager at Kassandra Bay Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Dear Elliemaykent,
thank you very much for taking time to post your review on trip advisor.I have read your review as posted here on TripAdvisor with great sadness.
We strive in offering our guests exceptional service at great value. It is obvious from your comments that we failed you in this aspect. Please accept my apologies for the challenges you experienced whilst staying here.
Greece indeed is in an economical crisis but not better than Spain, Italy or other European countries, and this cannot be an alibi for guests requesting very low prices. Be assured that hotels have cut down from their profits especially this year by giving big discounts and offers to cooperating tour operators which clients have taken advantage of whilst booking their holiday.
I have passed your comments onto the team here with the trust and belief that it will assist us in making sure we adress these areas in more depth.
We really do hope to have the chance to welcome you to Kassandra Bay Hotel and to our beautiful island in the future.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

My week at the Kassandra Bay Hotel started with a warm welcome from the friendly staff. The cleanliness of the hotel and rooms was a very pleasant surprise. Our holiday was also the venue for my son and his fiancé wedding. All the wedding guests enjoyed the sea view from the lawn and private decked area, were we all partied into the night/early morning. Drinks and food are not the cheapest but for a 5* hotel its what you expect. We stayed bed and breakfast and could not fault the choice of food from traditional cereals, eggs, bacon, sausage etc, plus cold meats fruit. The reception would always oblige to help, booking taxi to take us to the town what was 4 mins drive around 6€ or you could catch a bus for 1.6€ from outside the hotel.

1  Thank john R
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We just spent a week at Kassandra Bay Hotel. My mother, age 80, joined us and was the reason that we chose this hotel, since it was right by the beach.
What we didn't know was that there are a LOT of steps and slopes. We had our rooms almost on the top and two days the elevator was out of order. That almost knocked my mother down, I can say. The slope from the pool area to the beach was also too steep for her to manage on her own.

The beach was nice and and quiet. Our 8 yrs old daughter also enjoyed the pool (salt water), but the black floor around the pool got really hot. There was a small pool for the very youngest, one pool with depth 1.40 m and one deeper pool.

The rooms were spacy and nice, but the beds and pillows are hard as stone, which unfortunately is common in Greece. Bring your own pillow if you have problems with your neck.
The view from the balcony is stunning, the best ever! But three nights out of seven there were so loud entertainment at the hotel's pool area that we couldn't stand it.(it didn't help that the singers respectively the saxophoneplayer sang/played out of tune...) It was impossible enjoy sitting on the balcony, so instead we chose to sit in our room. Not what you're looking forward to on a greek vacation...

The breakfast was nice. The personnel welcoming and helpful. But the breakfast room is noisy and it was really hard to hear what we said sitting at the same table.
Except for breakfast, we had our meals on other restaurants. Right beside the hotel, at the beach, there is a really nice bar with great omelettes, salllads and greek food. One day Goldie Hawn with family and friends sat at the table next to ours. :-)

Skiathos is a beautiful island, the tenth Greek island we are visiting and we will come back. But then we will chose a hotel in the charming town where we found a lot of nice restaurants. It is easy to take the bus to different beaches and inexpensive to take a taxi, if one prefer that.
We loved Xanema beach for example.
Also it was a very smooth transfer to the hotel from airport.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Apollo
Kalaitzidis, Manager at Kassandra Bay Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Dear Akhallgren,
Thank you for making the time to review our Hotel and its facilities.
First, i would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvience caused due to elevators working failure. We tried to to do our best to fix the problem but the situation was more serious; thus it couldnt be fixed locally so we had to bring technicians from Volos. This why we had this two day delay. I fully comprehend your comment but upon request we could have transferred you to a low floow room.
We do hold live nights one or two times per week but it is in the context of soft entertainment and not loud music. Most of our guests enjoy these live nights many of which are accompanied with one of our themed buffet nights.
Breakfast area welcomes up to 200 people at times, it is buffet style so you cant really expect peace and quiet in a full hotel.
We take your comments to heart and we would be happy to welcome you again to Skiathos and our hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a one week stay at the Kassandra Bay Hotel on the Greek island of Skiathos. When we arrived at the hotel we were pleased to learn that we had been upgraded to a room with a seperate mezzanine floor.

The room was modern, bright, airy and spotlessly clean and the views were simply stunning.

The staff in reception were excellent, as were the staff clearing up breakfast in the morning. Sadly the staff who worked by the pool during the day serving drinks were inefficient and had the unique ability to be able to look straight through you when you were trying to get their attention. The bar staff (those working behind the bar) were friendly and efficient.

Breakfast was adequate no worse or better than I would have expected.

The pools were lovely (salt water) but I would like to mention 2 points. Firstly the decking around the pool is black which obviously absorbs the heat from the sun which makes it EXTREMELY hot to walk on, and secondly the sun loungers (due to their design) are very uncomforable and both myself and my partner experienced back pain.

The hotel is built on the side of a hill which means the views are breathtaking, but I am not sure how suitable this hotel would be for elderely or disabled clients although in fairness apart from the many steps there are lifts and slopes (but the slopes are steep).

Drink prices are what you would expect for a 4/5 star hotel for examble 6 euro for 2 diet cokes.

There is a little taverna by the sea right next door to the hotel and I would HIGHLY recommend it. The service, food and views are perfect. In fact this place is so good, while we were having lunch there one day Kurt Russell, Goldie Hawn and Kate Hudson were at the next table!!! Apparently they are regulars when they are on the island! And don't worry, the prices are not A lister category!

For my personal choice the hotel is a little far out from restaurants shops etc and it is necessary to either get a taxi (8 euro), the bus (1.60 euro p/p one way) or the water taxi (2.50 euro p/p one way). But if you are the type of person who likes the peace and tranquility you will love it.

The spa is still being built so we could not use it. I was told by reception that they could arrange a massage (50 euro for 50 minutes), however if you are on the beach massage is offered (not by the hotel) for 40 minutes 20 euro which was not only good value, but a good massage as well.

I would recommend this hotel particularly for couples or families with young children.

Room Tip: Rooms in 600s and 700s have best views
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelledLondon

Dear TravelledLondon,
thank you for taking time to post this review on trip advisor.
In regards to your comments i would like to add the following:
The decking area is not black its dark wood and it gets darker as it is wet all the time due to the fact that both pool are surrounded by decking area and people jump in and out of the pools. Sand,deck everywhere with no shade it is hot to step in barefoot. All sunbeds have mattresses but for your comfort we could have provided you with extra mattress.
I have noted your comments about the lack of attention at the bar area and i have passed on your feedback to our team.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us overall and really looking forward to welcoming you to beautiful Skiathos and our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I can only compare this property to those of similar ratings as I am world-wide travelled and my expectations are always harmonised with the local culture. I have travelled throughout all parts of Greece so base my review on experience of similar:-

The good things:-
Very helpful and accommodating Reception staff.
Deluxe Ocean view rooms are just that - deluxe with all the mod cons, fluffy towels and power showers, kept very clean. Beautiful views of Kassandra Bay.
Overall cleaniness of hotel is excellent.
Location - if you just want a nice little beach for a swim and not much else.
Bus top - directly outside hotel so convenient for visiting other parts of the island.
Pool & Beach towels provided fresh every day.
Free wifi - 2 pc screens available at any time for guest use.

The not so good things:-
The bathroom floor tiles create a VERY slippery surface as they are the same tiles used on the walls - very pretty but are not suitable for the floor (which will unavoidably get wet). I would advise to step onto a floor towel when coming out the bath/shower and make sure the floor does not get wet.
Alot of steps & slopes (not always with a hand rail) - so ditch the heels for Fit-Flops! Certainly not suitable for anyone with walking difficulties or the elderly.
Bar & Restaurant Staff - limited understanding of English, mainly young female waitresses some of whom gave me the impression they were doing me a "favour". Service - generally appalling - one occasion I was totally ignored when standing at the non-busy bar.
Prices - fair to expensive. House wine by the glass is local and not the best. I did find some very nice local wine outside the hotel.
The hotel has evening functions which take up the best eating areas of the hotel which are then closed off to remaining hotel guests. This happened on 3 of the nights I was there so I am lucky I did not book half board as those who did were told they could only sit in the "breakfast canteen and at a specific time"!
Breakfast - limited offerings in self service style (nothing cooked whilst you wait). Hot offerings ranged from scrambled or fried eggs, plain omlettes and undercooked fatty bacon. Other offerings were pastry based, cheese filled. Cold buffet was some local cheese, cucumber, tomatoe. Limited cereals, plain yoghurt only and fresh apples (bananas only on request). Self service tea & coffee machine. Not a "good morning" from staff!
Evening Entertainment - none!
The hotel public rest rooms are not very private - they are joint male/female - ultra modern in design athesetically pleasing but use toilet divides which are frosted/tinted glass and means you can see the outline of people in the cubicles - say no more!
If you want a kettle in the room then you need to ask for it as this is classed as a special request.
Slope and steps to beach area very steep.
Children use both pools freely despite there being a special "childrens area" so not for those wanting peace and serenity.
Generally an unhospitable and rather "impersonal" ambience about the whole place so not ideal for the solo traveller, like myself. The Reception staff are a real credit to this hotel but most of the time I felt like the invisible guest.

I was considering this hotel for a business conference but the conference rooms do not have natural light.

Room Tip: The ocean view deluxe rooms are in a separate block and have unobstructed views of the bay.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank EileenMaud148
Kalaitzidis, Manager at Kassandra Bay Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear JLRussell,
thank you for taking time to share your experience at Kassandra Bay Hotel. I would like to express personally my apologies for the fact that your stay was not up to your expectations. Nevertheless, i would like to add the following comments:
Hotel is built on amphitheatrical style offering exceptional views to the sea. There are three elevators for clients use to clients dont need to climb stairs up and down. Having a hotel on a flat surface with limited sea view is not better either i guess.
Hotel organises events without neglecting our exisitng clientele.A la carte restaurants are alwasy at clients disposal. For your information hald board is always served in Amvrosia restaurant, same area breaskfast is served. As all buffet and half board there is predeterming time of opening and closure.
Although the hotel hosts some special events areas are not excluded for use from other clients, clients can enjoy a la carte dining in various areas within the hotel.
To my suprprise I read you experience in the Breakfast area. Staff is helpful and welcoming each morning comments of previous travellers verify this pleasant and happy ambiance we strive to create for our guests. Breakfast is American style buffet and all clients are self served like in most hotels over a certain capacity.
Yes rooms do not have kettles but upon request we offer them to our guests. The hotel is ideal for beach holidays, its position couldn't be better than this, directly on the beach and only 3 km away for the city centre. Only a few stone steps to reach the beach and there are ramps available for people with walking difficulties or families with baby trolleys. Wouldn't really characterise the hotel ideal for conferences; the opposite beach holidays is at the forefront here.
Our hotel welcomes versitile clientele ranging from couples to families. We try to enhance our guests experience and combine all concepts always to ours guests best satisfaction.
Your valuable feedback has been taken into consideration and action will be taken, where needed, in order to correct any shortcomings.
We do hope to welcome you back to Kassandra Bay Hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Just returned from Skiathos where I stayed with my wife and grandson for a week at the Kassandra Bay Hotel.We travelled with Olympic on an early morning flight from Manchester and landed in Skiathos around lunch time,where we transferred the suitcases on to the luggage truck.We had paid for a coach transfer to the hotel but were disappointed to find on arrival that we would have to wait another forty-five minutes for the coach to arrive.Eventually,we reached the hotel and were greeted at reception to be told that our luggage had arrived but our room was not ready,so it wasn't the best of starts to our holiday.
Things however,were to get much better and when we were shown to our room we were most impressed.We had booked a superior room and were delighted to find that we had been allocated a really good sized room with plenty of wardrobe spaceair conditioning and a brilliant sea view.On top of that,we found complimentary drinks in the room which included a bottle of wine and a number of soft drinks and bottles of water in the fridge.
We had booked bed and breakfast,which is what we tend to do in Greece because we like to eat out in the evening and this hotel was to suit us down to the ground.The breakfasts,from 08.00-10.30 were on a buffet basis and were most enjoyable with plenty of variety.The staff were very pleasant at breakfast and most helpful.Take your pick from the beach or the two pools for your daily form of relaxation,the beach has plenty of padded sun loungers to choose from as does the pool areas.On the few occasions that we ate lunch at the pool dining areas,we found that the service was a liitle slow and this caused a few frustrated guests to complain to the bar staff.In the evening we travelled into Skiathos Town for dinner via the water-taxi,which picks up from the hotel beach jetty and this is excellent value for the 2.5 euro's fare.We also ate out at the Island's Restaurant which is located next to the hotel and served a delicious swordfish.
The boat trip to Skopelos and Alonissos is good value for money and the bus ride into Koukounaries is not to be missed.
Overall,this is a great hotel for a beach holiday.All the staff are really friendly and most helpful.We had seven nights of quality sleep in comfortable beds,which is worth a lot and I wouldn't hesitate to return.There are a few niggles regarding 5* service but I'm sure this can be improved upon.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor room for the best sea views.
4  Thank tonytd12

Dear Tonytd12,
thank you for taking time to post your review on trip advisor. Your comments are greatly valued and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kassandra Bay Resort soon.

Efi Kalaitzidis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vasilias
Skiathos Palace Hotel
#2 of 84 in Skiathos
Mandraki Village Boutique Hotel
Mandraki Village Boutique Hotel
#3 of 12 in Koukounaries

Been to Kassandra Bay Resort & SPA? Share your experiences!