“Problems with booking” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Vasilias
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Problems with booking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

This will seem quite a strange review because I didn't actually get to stay at this hotel!
Me, my wife and our 2 kids were expecting to be staying in a villa in Skiathos for the week from 1/6/2012. We booked the villa back in September but were alarmed to receive an email on 3/5/2012 informing us that owners of the villa had divorced so they were cancelling our booking. Oh great! I then spent hours phoning and emailing to try to find alternative accomodation and found Kassandra Bay Hotel which looked really nice.
They were advertising what looked to be a really good deal. When we checked on the evening of 3/5/2012 it was about 1100 Euros, when I checked again on the morning of 4/5/2012 it had gone up to 1260 Euros. I thought, fair enough, prices can change. I was still keen to book so I phoned the hotel a few times in the morning with a few minor queries. They answered most but for one of them they said they would call me back. 3pm came and went so I emailed them but still no response. My wife got home from work at 5:15 and we agreed to book anyway so I went online and was amazed to discover that the price had gone up again to 1400 Euros. Again I phoned the hotel and appealed to them to allow me to book at the earlier rate of 1260 Euros. The lady I spoke to said she would call me back.
About 15 minutes later the manager of the hotel phoned me and just started to go on about how beautiful the hotel and island is. I agreed with the island is beautiful because I've been there 10 times. All I wanted to know was 1260 Euros, yes or no. It's safe to say that he didn't see my point of view i.e that if his staff had phoned or emailed me with the answer to my query I would have booked earlier in the day at the cheaper rate. Given everything that's happened over the past 24 hours I must admit I lost my temper, which I regret and I wish I could apologise to the manager for losing it. Despite me telling him the whole story he just didn't seem to understand my predicament. Out of principle I wasn't going to pay the increased price but now I have to find somewhere else. Wish me luck!
Just thought I'd share my story with fellow Tripadvisor members, in case it might be useful or interesting to someone. ps. I scored the hotel high rather than low because it only seemed fair, given that I didn't even get to stay there!

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank PhilSloers
Kalaitzidis, Director of Sales at Kassandra Bay Resort & SPA, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Mr PhilSloers,
thank you for taking time to post your review on trip advisor. I totally understand your disappointment when your original plans for staying at the villa changed suddenly and you were faced with the problem of finding other types of accommodation.
I do not want to take time to "defend" the hotel but just lay out a few thoughts so that you take them into account when thinking of why you went online to post this review.
The hotel has a certain amount of work volume daily and we deal with matters coming in our inbox with priority level. We always respond on daily request same day they are made. I understand your eager to book the accommodation as your other booking plans had left you without accommodation but our reservations department replied to your emails by sending you the menus you requested and explained how half board option works in the hotel over the phone.
The offer was indeed valid but ended at some point yesterday, but as all offers in hotels and on line booking systems there is limited availability to a number of bookings and rooms. We are really sorry that you were caught in the middle on the day the offer changed. Our manager exceptionally for you and with patience tried to explain this thoroughly on the phone yesterday evening, he understood your concerns and asked for some time to speak with administration and myself in order to find the best possible solution for you and your family.
We decided that although the offer had ended, to send you an email giving you the opportunity to book the original package as seen in our website before the end of the offer. Email was sent to your personal email address.
I comprehend that your holiday started on the wrong track and therefore we really do hope to welcome you at our hotel so that you can enjoy Greek hospitality from all of our members of staff.

Efi Kalaitzidis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Greek first
Broadway, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

Me and my boyfriend had a FANTASTIC holiday in Skiathos at the Kassandra Bay Hotel last summer. We stayed for 10 nights. Our room was on the highest floor and had a lovely sea view. Room was huge, clean and very modern. Service was fantastic in the whole hotel. Food was great, both breakfast and dinner (we were half board) Breakfast had EVERYTHING you could want. Fresh fruit, ham, cheese, rolls, sausages, eggs, toast, cereals, cakes, biscuits, pastries, a guy making fresh crepes. It was LUSH! Dinner was also good, can’t fault the food. Same A la carte menu with a couple of different specials each night, could get a little repetitive if you’re there for say 14 nights. We ate out two times in Skiathos town at a restaurant called Scuna which we also highly recommend. Skiathos town it’s self was lovely. We liked having a drink in the old harbour at night at one of the bars sat in a bean bag chair looking out across the sea and at the stars. Magical! Shopping was also great. Long main street with so many shops selling EVERYTHING from local products to your fake designer handbags! Skiathos town felt really traditional and greek too, not at all ‘Brits Abroad’ which we HATE. Its busy but in a nice way! Getting into Skiathos town was easy, there’s either the water taxi from the beach which we loved taking to get into town, there’s a bus stop right outside the hotel or you can get a taxi, they are always stopping when you're waiting for a bus. Buses run every 30 minutes so you were never waiting too long, and they take about 15mins. Pool areas and beach were lovely, pebble/sand beach but this didn’t bother us. We spent half the day by one and half on the other. Easy to get sun beds around the pool, none of this annoying reserving a bed at 6am business!! Boyfriend loved that there were call buttons on the sun parasols at the beach where the beach guy bought you drinks (You're allowed to be lazy, you’re on holiday....!) There were also people offering massages on the beach (nothing to do with hotel) if they kept pestering you the beach guy soon got rid. They are only trying to make a living though so with a friendly yet persistent 'no thank you' they were gone! Loved the salt water pools as well! Such a nice change from chlorine burning your eyes!! Pool bar was great. Yes drinks weren't that cheap but it’s what you expect from a 4* hotel. I know from my boyfriend working in this trade that hotels make their money from rooms and drinks. Food hardly makes any profit! There’s a shop about a 20 minute walk away to get snacks, newspapers etc I usually left the boyfriend to do that one in the 30 degree heat in the morning but he liked the walk!! Also a nice local bakery there too! Grounds and Reception area were lovely, clean and spacious. Free internet which was a bonus!
Highly recommend the Skopelos mamma mia trip. We booked on a boat called Poseidon at the Old harbour. You go to the famous church and see all the beaches and get to stop at Skopelos town which was very quaint and lovely! We got lucky to and saw dolphins too! We also did the Boat trip around Skiathos, visiting lalaria beach, kasstro etc. Two great days out.

As for the moaners please don't listen and GO to this hotel!! This type of person is NEVER pleased! My boyfriends managed many high end restaurants with rooms where we live in the Cotswolds and so isn't easily pleased and yet he didn't have one bad think to say about Kassandra bay and our holiday!
If we go back to Skiathos this is definitely were we will be staying again! Trying Kos town this year as we like trying different Greek islands. Kassandra Bay and Skiathos will be very very hard to beat though!

Hope you enjoy :)

Room Tip: Top Floor, Sea View Room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sophiekate14
Kalaitzidis, Manager at Kassandra Bay Resort & SPA, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Dear Sophiekate14,
thank you for taking to post such a detailed review about our hotel and your holiday experience on trip advisor. We really do hope you enjoy your summer holidays in Kos this year and we would be happy to welcome you to Kassandra Bay Hotel next year!

Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

Stayed in August, next time I'd go a little earlier, maybe 2nd or 3rd week in June. Staff were great rooms very good, went B and B breakfast excellent. 10 mins by car to town or best beach in Europe ! Really. Next year for sure. Breakfast was a nice experience with live cooking. Nice pool but very noisy with children playing around all the time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tzoulia t
Dear Tzouliat,
thank you for posting your comment on trip advisor and we hope to welcome you again this summer to our hotel.

Hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

I've been to Skiathos many times. I've booked to stay at the Kassandra Bay Hotel with my family later this year and I am not even slightly deterred by the handful of negative reviews written on here, why? - because they are all clearly written by uncultured Brits who are small minded enough to judge the overall experience of a holiday based on how well the toilet flushes! Well if that's what you are looking for then go to somewhere like Benidorm or Magaluf where the locals have worked tirelessly to destroy all the natural beauty and replace it with modern drainage, plumbing, concrete tower blocks and English Karaoke bars. In short if you want to go somewhere with familiar British values either stay in England or visit one of the many British colonies on the Spanish coast! If however you want to go somewhere unspoilt with stunning views and beaches and enjoy a basic, rustic but perfectly charming way of life then Skiathos is perfect. The taxi drivers on Skiathos are nothing to worry about either, I have always found them to be very friendly and of course they'll try and make as much money as they can - they have families to feed! Just negotiate and agree on a price before you get in a taxi and if you don't like it wait for another taxi! (Common sense!) The plumbing on Skiathos isn't the best but remember - you are on an island and if you want stunning natural beauty instead of sewerage treatment plants everywhere you look then you have to make a compromise somewhere. It seems that so many people are hung up on whether a hotel is a 3 star, a 4 star or a 5 star etc but when you're visiting another country then don't be ignorant enough to assume that the star system will correspond with elsewhere, and why should it! - every where’s different and if it wasn't then what's the point of going away?
I love Greece and the Greek way of life, I love Skiathos and I love the Greek people who have always gone out of their way to be friendly to me. My heart-felt sympathies go out to people like Efi and the other hotel employees at the Kassandra Bay who occasionally have to suffer fools who are impossible to please.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
20 Thank Richard L
Kalaitzidis, Manager at Kassandra Bay Resort & SPA, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear Richard L,
thank you for taking time to post your comment on trip advisor. It admirable how you see things from a broader perspective, this is the true meaning of a genuine traveller.
We would be happy to welcome you again this summer at the Kassandra Bay Hotel.

Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

We booked to stay at the Kassandra Bay through First Choice as part of a wedding package. When we arrived and saw how beautiful the hotel was (set right on a private beach) we decided to hold the reception at the hotel too. All of the staff, including the Managers, were fantastic for our whole stay - nothing was too much trouble, they went out of their way to help us plan the reception and really helped us get the best value out of the budget we had to spend. We had 35 guests attend and received so many comments about how lovely the food was and how nice the hotel and staff were. We stayed during peak season and the main Greek holiday fortnight but the Kassandra Bay still managed to provide a first class and personal service and helped make our wedding day even more special. Thank you to all the staff and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Clare330
Dear Clare330,
thank you for taking time to post your comment on trip advisor. I read your review with great pleasure and i am really happy that we managed to make your wedding day, this special day, a memorable experience.
We really do hope to welcome you again this summer to celebrate your first wedding anniversary!

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I thought I would try and put you all straight about this hotel before you book your Summer holidays. It's quite simple really, just don't book here. You will be disappointed. From someone who spends months searching for the ultimate Summer holiday I can assure you that this was a Big mistake. All the negative reviews are absolutely right. It's ridiculously expensive-the bar, water, restaurant, BBQ ... everything really. And before I further explain, Efi, why don't you actually DO something about all these reviews instead of trying to make out everyone is lying!
The breakfast is the only positive comment I can make about the food- if you can stand the manager and his wife monitoring your every move! The restaurant food was mediocre at best and cost a fortune. I ordered risotto which tasted like chalk it was so under cooked. They were not best pleased about having to cook it again either. One day we actually had a large fly, yes large fly, in our Son's spaghetti bolognaise! Oh and the BBQ seating order is Greeks first, English last, and the meat is largely fat so don't bother- save your money for elsewhere!
The rooms are pleasant -our room was furnished ok but 3 star standard. It had a blocked sink on arrival. Solution? We were given a screwdriver to sort it out ourselves!!! Our children were down the corridor because they could not possibly put us together as it was high season and we both had different room types..."/ Their room was very basic and had hardly any view - I would rate it no more than a 2/3 star. It was NOT welcoming at all. The corridors were also dark leading to our rooms and not particularly inviting.
In case you were not aware, the pools are sea water and smell of strong chemicals. The beach is nothing to write home about and yes, you do need a high room to get a decent view.
Yes, the manager does reprimand his hard working staff in front of guests which is sooooooo unprofessional. There is not a relaxed atmosphere as seen on the website and that's the truth. We spent so much money... Probably one of the most expensive holidays we have had. The taxi ride into Skiathos varies depending on who feels like ripping you off the most.
Yes the toilets are smelly in the basement, the table tennis table is insufficiently lit and is in a very odd place. The reception staff are not particularly helpful at all in general although there are one or two who seem vaguely happy to see you. This is not a 5 star place... I have never written a review on trip advisor before but just thought I might save some of you from a disappointing Summer vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank Hjsj
Dear Hjsj,
thank you for taking time to post your comment on trip advisor. But before continuing i just want to clarify things. The management of Kassandra Bay Hotel and myself are welcoming all types of comments and please try not to confuse things. As clients write and comment on their experience hotel is entitled to give its replies.
We are really sorry that you did not enjoy your holiday in overall at the Kassandra Bay Hotel. We have the encouraging positive reviews of clients that give us the strength to continue our hard work. Criticism is always positive to improve.
Skiathos holds inside it a treasure of beauty and natural environment and we all at the Kassandra Bay do our best to enhance and create an amazing holiday experience for our guests.

Skiathos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

My opinion , By far the best family 5 star hotel in Skiathos island.
My kids think is a paradise !!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank KoufidisS
Dear KoufidisS,
thank you for your valuable comment. See you this summer!

Efi Kalaitzidis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vasilias
Atrium Hotel
Kivo Art & Gourmet Hotel
La Piscine Art Hotel
La Piscine Art Hotel
#3 of 88 in Skiathos

Been to Kassandra Bay Resort & SPA? Share your experiences!