“Lovely place - ideal location”

Skiathos Princess Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Agia Paraskevi
Essex
“Lovely place - ideal location”
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Lovely hotel, ideal location... Skiathos has a bus route along the coast that starts at Stop 0 (Skiathos Town) and goes to stop 26 (Koukounaries Beach) - this hotel is at stop 16 so it’s always only a 10-15 minute trip to the end of the line in either direction. We stayed in the town last time so wanted to try a beach this time around. The hotel is right on the beach unlike most. The beach is sandy with clear waters - really lovely. It's not as busy as other beaches too although not really quiet - there are a selection of water sports available. Also, there are several tavernas/bars in Aghia Paraskevi which is ideal (Iguanas bar over the road attracts a bit of life, and we loved the little white taverna down the road - come out of hotel, turn right and cross the road - it's on the left opposite the Kohila Taverna - try the stifado, lush!). Ideally situated over the road is a supermarket too. Could not fault the location one bit.
The hotel itself is lovely/pretty - mixed reviews on here so here is my take on it... Some say it's not 5 star and they are probably right if you have stayed at 5 star places in other countries (for example Thailand - immaculately lavish over there). For this reason I'd rate it a 4 or 4.5 star. However, having been to Greece several times I would definitely say that in Greek terms it IS 5 star. It was really nice staying somewhere in Greece where you didn't have to worry about anything as it could be sorted, whatever your worry. We had a normal room overlooking the gardens and it was fine. In room safe, towels (free use of beach towels too), shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser and shower gels replenished as soon as you opened one, hairdryer, room service, mini bar, TV, robes, slippers, etc... see their website for everything included. Rooms cleaned daily. Our bed was rock hard and we couldn’t get the TV to turn on – we contacted reception and they sorted both straight away – excellent service. If you want a sea view you need to make sure that you have a room number in the 300’s/400’s although you will also have a view of the top of the restaurant/pool bar buildings. Also make sure that they are the ones nearest to the beach as from what I could see the ones furthest away might not have the best sea views (restricted). A couple we met had upgraded and weren’t happy with what they got in comparison to a normal room. Think about how often you will be on your balcony to determine if a sea view is really that important.
FOOD: For a half board hotel we enjoyed the food. No complaints. 3 places to choose from: The Mediterranean Buffet, The Asian (Chinese) A La Carte Restaurant and the Grill a La Carte Restaurant. All very nice but we did miss going out to Tavernas so would book B&B next time as prices in the Tavernas weren’t as expensive as last time we were in Skiathos 6 years ago. Breakfast was great – huge selection from pastries/cakes/hot stuff/hams and cheeses/ cereal/ coffees/ smoothies/ pancakes and omelettes at the live cooking station/fruits/yoghurts – fantastic!
OTHER STUFF: The staff were wonderful, especially the restaurant staff - so lovely.
We didn’t use the spa or gym. Spa prices were more than in the UK. There is free wi-fi in part of the hotel. The pools were great – a children’s pool and an adult’s pool plus a warm whirl(ish) pool – there was a pool bar and a beach bar (oh, and as hotel resident’s beach beds, table and parasol were free on the beach).
We did an Island hopping trip to Alonissos and Skopelos which was nice (go up to the old town on Alonissos – beautiful, and the Kastro area of Skopelos Town). We also did a day sailing on a yacht which was fab and we visited the Mamma Mia beaches and Church (which I loved!).
Please feel free to contact me with any questions about the hotel/Skiathos, etc – happy to help (I’ll put on as many photos’ as I can of the hotel). Hope this review helps – we will more than likely return to this hotel and almost certainly return to Skiathos again and again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank FITZGIB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
Staffs
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Have really enjoyed the holiday, location good, beach and pool on your door step, staff very good & place always very clean, but the place is just starting to show it's age even after a quick revamp. We were half board but eat out quite a few nights as the buffet really lacked any imagination at times, and struggled to cope with our 7yr old who at that age is limited to what he likes. The 2 other restaurants (South American & Asia) were good but again they really had not thought about what young kids like eat. The room that we booked was meant to have sea views, but only if you looked to your side and behind some tree's so do not bother to upgrade. In line with 5 stars the drinks and food etc were very expensive and could be bought locally for a lot less, hence the pool bar in the evenings was not exactly swinging, but in general the place was lovely and Skiathos is a fantastic place and will certainly go back, but may be try another hotel next time just for comparision.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Ioannis2, General Manager at Skiathos Princess Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
Warm greetings to you from Skiathos Princess Hotel and many thanks for taking
the time to submit a review of our Hotel on Tripadvisor, after your recent stay with us.
My team and I are delighted to hear that in overall your enjoyed your family vacation,
and are sorry that you felt limited with our 3 children menus offered in our Mainrestaurant
"Leto Concepts", which offers one Buffet Restaurant and two a la carte Restaurants.
We will definitely reconsider our children menus and choice, even though our Chefs
take extra care with parents and their children, and always trying to fulfill our youngsters
special requests.
Rest assured that we have taken note of the other comments you raised and we will be
looking into these with my team and owning company.
We sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you again very soon
on Skiathos island and welcoming you back to the Skiathos Princess Hotel.

Many thanks once again

Ioannis Iltsidis
Kifissia
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I stayed in this hotel in August and I had the most relaxing staying this year so far. As I often travel for leisure in Southeast Asia, South America, Southern Europe and the Caribbean’s I have chosen this hotel from friend’s recommendations and the fact that it is a member of SLH group, for a week stay on the island of Skiathos. I cannot stress enough how excellent the service and the food quality in the Princess has been during my stay. We have tried all the restaurants, including PR. Ammos on the beach (freshest fish on the island) even serving under the beach umbrellas (spotless clean) with our feet in the water; the Asian live kitchen was surprisingly fresh and exotic (excellent Peking duck as well as Seafood Rangoon); the stakes and the mushrooms of the grill restaurant are unique as are the crepes Suzette, prepared in front of you as in very few locations around the world. My room (spacious and nicely decorated) gave to a wooden terrace directly giving to the manicured leafy park leading to the sparkling clear waters of the hotel’s beach. I definitely recommend this hotel for a relaxing stay on the island of Skiathos and keep the warm smiles and the attentiveness of the joyful staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank cec_spgtraveler
Bucharest
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I have just arrived from Skiathos, this was the second holiday I spent in Skiathos Princess. The reason why I have chosen this location was the experience of last year which highly recommended Skiathos Princess as a place to go twice. I have also recommended it to my friends...we were a group of 18.
I have to say that one of reasons why I repeated the experience of last year was the FOOD. Although eating is not what represents me, I have to say that I like good food. Last year was incredible. The three restaurants offered the possibility of a wide choice of best quality food, covering all the ranges from greek specialties to international. My sun was seduced by the chinese food. We practically went into town every evening for a small drink, promissing ourselves that we will also eat one night in one of the nice tavernas which looked so temting . The food was so good at the hotel, we could not decide to give up one dinner in favour of a taverna.
This year....was a mess. Don't get me wrong, of course, if you are the type who doesn't care what you introduce in your stomach, as long as you get stuffed, than go for it. If you are a bit sophisticated, than think twice before you do the step. The system was desribed by my predecesors with two restaurants with prior reservation and one buffet stye. It was awful. Meatballs...? We tried to talk to the manager, we asked him to give us the possibility to change dinner for lunch at the beach bar , it was not important the amount they considered for dinner...of course nobody would have expected to have the same ratings as when we bought it...it's like buy/sell at the exchange house, ha, ha. However, the manager told us it was not possbile...why sir? If we had known the above, we could have chosen the room with breakfast. It's pitty that you give up quality in favour of so called "better services" which in fact is a cheap way to make economy. I wish you good luck, from my point of view this was the last time I visited your hotel and my recommendation for this destination (i.e. Skiathos Princess, because the island is beatiful!) is DON'T GO!
Best regards,
Georgiana Pascu

PS I have noticed aroud every day Ms. Santikos, a very elegant lady , I was wondering what is her opinion regarding the above mentioned

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank georgiana_pascu
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We got married at the Skiathos Princess hotel last week...right on the beach under a gazebo... it was amazing. We can't thank the staff of the Skiathos Princess enough for their care and attention.

We stayed for 2 weeks to meet residency requirements for getting married on the island (8 days), and by the afternoon of the day we arrived our legal documentation was collected and checked and taken away for submittal to the local town hall... we hardly had to lift a finger... everything was sorted by the First Choice Rep (Daisy) and their local wedding fixer (Anastasia), and the hotel Wedding Co-ordinator (Erasmia) couldn't do enough to make sure our day was perfect.

We had our 15month old with us so ate in the buffet restauraunt most nights...selection of food was fantastic and our wee yin ate well at breakfast and dinner (we had half board) from the selection of food on offer.

The staff are brilliant.... they made a massive fuss of our baby and they all take pride in their work and in the service they provide.

The hotel grounds and beach and pool areas are beautiful...

For wedding photographs I recommend using Simeon Photography (based out of Skiathos town)...we are thrilled with the quality delivered and cam ehome with our album already prepared for us.

We did the Sporades Sunshine Cruise (Mamma Mia trip) offered as a day trip by First Choice, but can be picked up down at the harbour...make sure you get the trip organised and compered by Kriss, an ex-pat who runs a bar on the island and runs 3 boat trips a week.... we popped into his bar (Bar Destiny) in Skiathos town and had a great laugh with his Welcome Shots...and the guy can belt out a tune on the karaoke...a great character and great night out in his bar/day out on his boat trip.

Skiathos is a beautiful island...I've never been to any of the Greek Islands or mainland before and we can't see ourselves going anywhere else now, we'll go back to Skiathos every other year now....Skiathos Town is beautiful....

Go... book it, pack it and just go..... you won't be disappointed.... just wish we could have got Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn (island regulars) to our wedding!

Thanks to the Skiathos rincess and all it's staff for their help and service....first class.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank StuartCameron1977
Brasov, Romania
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I just came back from Skiathos,Greece-Princess Hotel.The hotel might not really be 5 stars due to the size of the property and the size of the pool,but the service sure is! Anyway we don' use the pool when we have the seawater,so it was no inconvenient for us. The beach was OK and there were planty of sunbeds.
We had a very good time at the beach and especially at the hotel's restaurants.The taverna was very nice,they bring fresh fish every day around twelve o'clock and displayed it on icebed and you can choose which one you want,they are weighing it in front of you and then prepare it for you.The salads and mezez were very good and everything fresh.The staff is very helpfull.
Then you have two a la carte restaurants-argentinian and asian which very good chefs.Marina-the lady who does the reservations is very ,very nice-Thank you Marina for putting up with us,because we were 25 people and there was always something.....
You have o try the T-bone stakes,the burito and the cheese cake.Excellent,we booked two nights on the row at the argentinian.
And there is also the somelier-I' sorry I cannot remember his name-very nice guy and he will recomend some good wine to go with your meal.At the asian we had lobster,exquisite!-and again a very good wine.
One of our friends had birthday and Marina prepared a big surprise for her-an excellent ice cream birthdaycake on the house !! It was very nice of them to do that for a guest.
The rooms are very clean and the beauty products that you get every morning are of good quality./I even tried their spa once for a facial tratment.I felt very good after it and the lady was very good.I even bought some cosmetisc that I highly recomend-they are 99-100 % naturals made with olive oil,honey and red wine.
At the beach taverna there are about four or five weddings every week and they make very special arrangements and decorations for the parties.Even if there is music on the beach you cannot hear it from hotel.
Now,I have to say what was not so good-If you get a garden view room in the old buiding -room 222-then you might not be very happy because the air conditioning instalation is making an incredible noise,like a continuos whisteling and drives you nuts.The first two night it stoped at 11 at night and it was OK,but the third night I spent it in the reception because it was so loud you could not stay in the room.The staff from the reception said they had no available room to give us at one o'clock in the morning because they were fully booked due to a wedding,but I am not so sure.Anyway we lost three hours the next day to convince the manager to change our room.This was a bad mark for the hotel- The only one from my point of view.
We had two trips,one in Skopelos and Alonissos ,Skopelos was very nice and we saw a lot of dolphins on the way,and the other one at the famous Lalaria beach where we had a good swim.I was OK.
Almost every night we were going in the port,there is a bus almost in front of the hotel and for less then two euros it takes you to the port.Every night we discovered new sights and parts of the town of Skiathos-very beautifull old town you have to discover by feet,a lot of tavernas that pop up after the sun sets on very small streets.Very pitoresque,you have to go! I will try to post some pictures.
Next week we are going to Corfu I hope the service will be as good as with Princess!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank biancaBrasov
Essex, England
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Just returned from 7 nights at Skiathos Princess. We travelled with First Choice, half board at a very good price (I shopped around and booked in Feb for peace of mind), and it is described in the brochure as a 4* hotel - and it is a good one at that.

Main pluses:
- lovely rooms, two big beds, kept v clean by the maids and with a/c, bathroom a bit dated but did the job (apart from our door didn't close but no matter...)
- complimentary toiletries which were topped up daily.
- lovely, comfy sun beds by the pool and sea - plenty to go around with no 'hogging'.
- v good location - 15 mins to Skiathos town in one direction and 15 mins to Koukanaries in the other, 1.4 euros per person. There's also a supermarket across the road for bottles of water, mozzie repellent, ice creams etc and another supermarket down the road that changes money at a good rate, and lots of tavernas. Head down along past the supermarket and Iguanas bar to get to Avli taverna (highly recommended) and Calma (further down and mentioned by others but we didn't go there).
- chef in Asian restaurant will spice things up if you ask and give an indication of how hot you like your food, I said that we liked to sweat (!) and he came up trumps. Buffet was good enough, certainly palatable so perhaps things have got better since the start of the season.

Niggles:
- inexperienced staff made the evening service at the a la carte's (almost unbearably) slow, BUT they are not rude or aloof, just inexperienced.
- drinks are very expensive, and they don't need to be as I think the hotel could make them just a little bit more competitive. Saying that, they're cocktails were 10 euros but you knew there was alcohol in them unlike one of the nearby tavernas that charged 7 euros.
- the gym is very poor, and if you want to work out because you like to, or escape the midday sun, you'd be limited to what works (treadmill and free weights good options and take your mp3 player!).
- some entertainment (singer in the bar), but nothing to stay at the hotel for.

The Princess is a good 4 star hotel, but it's not a 5 star (yet??) as it needs to do a few things to get that grade. Overall, we had a lovely holiday which gave us value for money.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Agia Paraskevi
Mandraki Village Boutique Hotel
Mandraki Village Boutique Hotel
#2 of 11 in Koukounaries

Been to Skiathos Princess Hotel? Share your experiences!