“A magical, unparalleled experience”

Hacienda San Jose, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tixkokob
Seattle
“A magical, unparalleled experience”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I have traveled extensively, and Hacienda San Jose is now our favorite place we have ever stayed. It is a little difficult to find, but once you get there you won't want to leave the grounds (and we didn't for our 3 day stay). The grounds and buildings have been lovingly restored and are meticulously cared for. The staff are friendly, quiet, and totally committed to making the experience a memorable one. What's also extraordinary about this place is that it is a quiet, subtle luxury - we've stayed at other places that seem to work so hard to achieve a "luxury" level, but here everything seems effortless. The food is incredible. The rooms are exquisite. The pool might be my favorite. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Liza S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Arriving late at night we were not prepared to experience what we saw in the following morning. A hacienda nestled within beautifully well kept gardens, with an amazing and serene hammock strewn swiming pool. We highly enjoyed our early morning bird watching walk on the grounds with the kind and attentive Dom Jose, the local gardener. We loved this place and we highly recommend it. The only downside was that the food and restaurant service could be made better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Guilherme R
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Hacienda experience was amazing. After driving from Playa del Carmen we got there at 2am and we were exhausted, the receptionist greeted us happily and immediately led us to our rooms. Our luggage was taken to our rooms. We woke up a little before mid-day and they were ready to serve breakfast for us!

The pool is incredibly nice, with beautiful hammocks and pool beds. The weather was so nice, and the Hacienda so amazing that on our last day we preferred to stay and read and chill rather than visiting or touring around Merida. The service was great!

Rooms are AMAZING. Big, comfortable, luxurious, and incredible. Even the bathrooms were out of this world! Each room has a sort of jacuzzi outside, we used it every night.

DOWN SIDE: FOOD
Honestly, food wasn't good, at all. Although I am not a fan of Mexican food, what the Hacienda had to offer was terrible. I ate pancakes every morning because eggs weren't good at all.

OVERALL: EXCELLENT
Amazing place, beautiful nature, excellent service, nice weather, luxurious rooms. What else can you ask for? If you can stay there, definitely do so!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Juan Pablo E
roberto o, Director de Operaciones at Hacienda San Jose, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Juan Pablo E,

Greetings from The Hacienda San José!!!l. I would like to acknowledge receipt of your comments and we are indeed grateful for your feedback despite your experience regarding our Restaurant performance.As it through such feedback from frequent travellers such as yourselves that we can fine tune our services.

We would like to apologize about these. Your comments have been shared with the team in detail. It is such detail on service delivery on a consistent basis that we must strive for and for which The Luxury Collection is renowned.

I wish to let you know how we sincerely appreciate your valuable comments regarding our staff, our pool services, room accomodations and overall experience at Hacienda San José.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back here in Yucatan Peninsula and once again we are very grateful for your feedback.

I wish you and your family a very prosperous year!!

Roberto Otálora
Director of Operations.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Hacienda San Jose with our thirteen year old twin girls. We had a wonderfully relaxing, off-the-grid experience for two nights. Had wonderful meals and massages. Stayed in the Mayan huts which were uniquely beautiful. It poured rain one morning, and we lounged in our swinging beds and truly relaxed. Of course, there were large golf umbrella(s) when we decided to venture out. My husband spent an afternoon in the nearby town of Tixkokob while the girls and I drove into Merida to visit friends. It was an easy drive. The directions to/from the hotel were easy enough to follow - although it does feel out in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dck_333
Munich, Germany
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Yes the place is in the middle of nowhere and I am glad that I didn't even attempt to drive there myself as even my driver got lost but once you are there you simply cannot be not impressed. I don't mind the fact that I am in the middle of nowhere as it gives me the chance to be more in tuned with nature and admire its beauty. And beautiful it was, the property itself with its beautiful colors, high ceilings and beautiful tiled floor so clean that I don't mind walking on it barefooted. The property is amidst old trees, beautiful flowers and I would even say very spiritual. The spa is spectacular and the massages are great. The masseurs do know what they are doing which I can't say the same for lots of resorts. I remembered reading some reviews that mentioned about insects and I was petrified. I am traveling alone so I have to do my own pest control but surprisingly I didn't see any!!!! I was very impressed. Perhaps the management did something about it after all the reviews? The food there is not spectacular i do agree but not bad either. I love the little touches everywhere when they do the turndown service and its efficient. I didn't like the pool much but I don't usually like to swim in pools anyway. The only complaint is that my junior suite was advertised as having a plunge pool when in reality it might qualify as an outdoor tub at best.

Room Tip: I stayed at the junior suite with an 18 foot ceiling that was spectacular.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rubyyao
Walchwil, Switzerland
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of nowhere! Over 45 minutes from Merida - if you ever find it. There were some hotel signs in the nearby villages but to find these you have to have a lot of luck. Tip: Do NOT drive into Merida - take the ring road direction Motul (highway 178). As so far out forget going to Meria at night ie for dinner etc.! Nothing to do at hotel either but take a night cap. Reception and check-in / out was very friendly, helpful and efficient. Rooms of a decent size with large bathrooms. Shower had great pressure and lots of hot water. Bed was very comfortable - not too soft or hard. Didn't find our room dark as previously commented by others. Restaurant food not bad but not luxury standard. Pool area can become very windy. Pool water is freezing making it unappealing to go for a swim. Not enough lounge chairs per number of guests. No pool service - had to go get someone. Gardens are vast and looked after. Massage was very good - felt worth the price. Only negative is that the spa rooms are just off the entrance road to hotel so hear the occassional car and people go past. In light of the vast grounds perhaps a better place for the spa should have been found. General Manager and Spa Manager both very friendly and tried their upmost to make our stay a good one, which it was. Understand price of USD 400+ might be due to offering accomodation at this isolated location but can't really justify.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
roberto o, Director de Operaciones. at Hacienda San Jose, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Hellbraun,
Greetings from The Haciendas Luxury Collection in Yucatan and thank you for the detailed feedback regarding your stay with us in Hacienda San José. I shared your comments with our Team – I am indeed grateful as it is through such detailed feedback that we can fine tune our service to ensure we deliver excellent service on a regular basis. I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to our Resident Manager as also our Spa Manager and the rest of our team in order to have corrective actions regarding Maintenance issues and our pool services.
We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for taking the time to share your visit with us.
Cordially yours,
Roberto Otálora - Operations Manager.
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Our expectations were obviously too high after the hacienda was recommended to us in glowing terms by the agent we booked through, the reviews here and the hotel website which makes it look gorgeous. The place had a decrepit air, the gardens unkempt though the ruins scattered around from the old plantation days were atmospheric, also the charming little chapel. Our room was fine but almost no natural light - which is common of course in old properties which have been renovated, it wasn't a priority to have light and sun pouring into rooms before a/c. But it got depressing over 2 nights and 1 whole day with nothing to do, which is the core of the matter. There is nothing to do there at all. Nowhere to walk except further down the track which leads to the hacienda and as it is hemmed in by spindly trees and scrubby vegetation there is nothing to look at on a walk. No views anywhere to sit and admire as the forest crowds in on all sides, including right up to the plunge pool area behind our room which was very dark and univiting. There is a spa but we are not into that sort of thing, and we thought the treatments sounded pretty expensive. The swimming pool was beautiful and would have been inviting but the water was too cold for us. It could have been pleasant to sit by the pool area as there was an attractive terrace area but no where to atually sit, just loungers which is fine if you want to lounge. The bar area by the dining area was dark and uncomfortable. At least the food was good so we could look forward to meals. Apart from breakfast which was awful. How can anyone could a fried egg so badly? Also on the plus side there was free wifi so I used up some time writing emails, but I don't really consider that a highlight of being on holiday.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MyrtleWiltshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tixkokob
Hotel Hacienda Ticum
#9 of 103 in Merida
Hacienda Hotel Santo Domingo
Hotel Reef Yucatan - All Inclusive & Convention Center
Rinconada del Convento

Been to Hacienda San Jose, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!