Hacienda San Jose, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tixkokob
Atlanta, Georgia
“Loved It!”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Hacienda San Jose with our thirteen year old twin girls. We had a wonderfully relaxing, off-the-grid experience for two nights. Had wonderful meals and massages. Stayed in the Mayan huts which were uniquely beautiful. It poured rain one morning, and we lounged in our swinging beds and truly relaxed. Of course, there were large golf umbrella(s) when we decided to venture out. My husband spent an afternoon in the nearby town of Tixkokob while the girls and I drove into Merida to visit friends. It was an easy drive. The directions to/from the hotel were easy enough to follow - although it does feel out in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dck_333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Yes the place is in the middle of nowhere and I am glad that I didn't even attempt to drive there myself as even my driver got lost but once you are there you simply cannot be not impressed. I don't mind the fact that I am in the middle of nowhere as it gives me the chance to be more in tuned with nature and admire its beauty. And beautiful it was, the property itself with its beautiful colors, high ceilings and beautiful tiled floor so clean that I don't mind walking on it barefooted. The property is amidst old trees, beautiful flowers and I would even say very spiritual. The spa is spectacular and the massages are great. The masseurs do know what they are doing which I can't say the same for lots of resorts. I remembered reading some reviews that mentioned about insects and I was petrified. I am traveling alone so I have to do my own pest control but surprisingly I didn't see any!!!! I was very impressed. Perhaps the management did something about it after all the reviews? The food there is not spectacular i do agree but not bad either. I love the little touches everywhere when they do the turndown service and its efficient. I didn't like the pool much but I don't usually like to swim in pools anyway. The only complaint is that my junior suite was advertised as having a plunge pool when in reality it might qualify as an outdoor tub at best.

Room Tip: I stayed at the junior suite with an 18 foot ceiling that was spectacular.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rubyyao
Walchwil, Switzerland
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of nowhere! Over 45 minutes from Merida - if you ever find it. There were some hotel signs in the nearby villages but to find these you have to have a lot of luck. Tip: Do NOT drive into Merida - take the ring road direction Motul (highway 178). As so far out forget going to Meria at night ie for dinner etc.! Nothing to do at hotel either but take a night cap. Reception and check-in / out was very friendly, helpful and efficient. Rooms of a decent size with large bathrooms. Shower had great pressure and lots of hot water. Bed was very comfortable - not too soft or hard. Didn't find our room dark as previously commented by others. Restaurant food not bad but not luxury standard. Pool area can become very windy. Pool water is freezing making it unappealing to go for a swim. Not enough lounge chairs per number of guests. No pool service - had to go get someone. Gardens are vast and looked after. Massage was very good - felt worth the price. Only negative is that the spa rooms are just off the entrance road to hotel so hear the occassional car and people go past. In light of the vast grounds perhaps a better place for the spa should have been found. General Manager and Spa Manager both very friendly and tried their upmost to make our stay a good one, which it was. Understand price of USD 400+ might be due to offering accomodation at this isolated location but can't really justify.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
roberto o, Director de Operaciones. at Hacienda San Jose, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Hellbraun,
Greetings from The Haciendas Luxury Collection in Yucatan and thank you for the detailed feedback regarding your stay with us in Hacienda San José. I shared your comments with our Team – I am indeed grateful as it is through such detailed feedback that we can fine tune our service to ensure we deliver excellent service on a regular basis. I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to our Resident Manager as also our Spa Manager and the rest of our team in order to have corrective actions regarding Maintenance issues and our pool services.
We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for taking the time to share your visit with us.
Cordially yours,
Roberto Otálora - Operations Manager.
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Our expectations were obviously too high after the hacienda was recommended to us in glowing terms by the agent we booked through, the reviews here and the hotel website which makes it look gorgeous. The place had a decrepit air, the gardens unkempt though the ruins scattered around from the old plantation days were atmospheric, also the charming little chapel. Our room was fine but almost no natural light - which is common of course in old properties which have been renovated, it wasn't a priority to have light and sun pouring into rooms before a/c. But it got depressing over 2 nights and 1 whole day with nothing to do, which is the core of the matter. There is nothing to do there at all. Nowhere to walk except further down the track which leads to the hacienda and as it is hemmed in by spindly trees and scrubby vegetation there is nothing to look at on a walk. No views anywhere to sit and admire as the forest crowds in on all sides, including right up to the plunge pool area behind our room which was very dark and univiting. There is a spa but we are not into that sort of thing, and we thought the treatments sounded pretty expensive. The swimming pool was beautiful and would have been inviting but the water was too cold for us. It could have been pleasant to sit by the pool area as there was an attractive terrace area but no where to atually sit, just loungers which is fine if you want to lounge. The bar area by the dining area was dark and uncomfortable. At least the food was good so we could look forward to meals. Apart from breakfast which was awful. How can anyone could a fried egg so badly? Also on the plus side there was free wifi so I used up some time writing emails, but I don't really consider that a highlight of being on holiday.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MyrtleWiltshire
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have to admit that I lied on my Starwood survey when I said that I'd be back, but only because my husband and I had such a wonderful time that now I want to try all of the other haciendas in the Luxury Collection.

There's so much talk about creating "experiences" for people (marketing speak) and Hacienda San Jose delivers while both feeling authentic and completely relaxing. We had the pleasure of arriving in the evening when the towering trees were lit from below to create a magical feeling, while the scent of some local night flower perfumed the air. That arrival was not without some trouble with directions, mostly because we took the wrong exit off the toll road (you want the Hoctun-Izamal exit, not the Izamal-only exit). Since this was our first time driving in Mexico, it was a little unnerving, but not so bad once you figure it out (check the Web for tips on driving in the Yucatan before leaving, or come in via helicopter--yup, this place has a landing pad).

But back to the hacienda. We had the junior suite 2 nights and the Mayan house 1 night. Both are unique and really made you feel both a million miles away from civilization while still getting all the comforts and feeling of being completely safe in the jungle. We've stayed in high-end converted monasteries in both Spain and Peru, both quite spiffy (if, as a previous reviewer said, you want to weight based on previous travel experiences), but this felt more relaxing yet still provides a historical feel--quite a feat, I think.

Unfortunately, we did not get a chance to use the temptingly lovely pool, but we did have both breakfast and dinner at the restaurant. Pretty good food, especially in comparison to our other "authentic" Yucatecan food experiences (if you really like food, go to Oaxaca). The grounds are lovely for strolling around and I adored the chapel. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Our visit was in November, low insect season, which probably made our stay more pleasant all around.

Room Tip: The Mayan house is almost too large to be comfortable, but it does have the king-sized bed hanging f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford
Reviewed October 25, 2012

To be honest, I'm not sure where to start with a review of this wonderful Hacienda! I'd read several reviewers here talking about difficulties finding the place, but having received directions from the hotel by email before leaving the UK, we had an uneventful journey. We did however meet another couple who had great trouble finding the Hacienda, so I really do recommend doing your research to pin down the exact location before setting out (hint - it's not where Google thinks it is!).

Having spent five nights next to the picturesque Tulum coastline at Coqui Coqui Tulum (also amazing) where the service was friendly & helpful but also quite informal, it was a slight culture shock for us to arrive at the Hacienda and experience the more "hands-on" service right from the off. A porter arrived to take our luggage to our Mayan Villa room, Ediel from the restaurant emerged to serve us with delicious "Agua San Jose" (lemonade with a tea infusion) and someone else appeared from nowhere to park our car (you will need one of these if you plan to do anything other than lounge around the Hacienda).

Our room - a "Mayan Villa" - was amazing. The bedroom was huge, with a massive bed suspended from the roof beams. This took some getting used to but after a while it was really nice to be rocked gently to sleep. We also had a nice sitting area with a day bed. The rest of the villa contained the wash basins, shower area, dressing area and toilet, and this was very spacious as well. All was spotlessly clean. We also had a nice terrace with table & chairs and hammock, and a plunge pool. Regarding the latter, I noticed another review that complained that this was dirty and that staff would clean it on request. That reviewer complained that the plunge pools should always be clean. However I can see why the Hacienda does it like this - we had our pool cleaned and filled one day, and almost as soon as we'd emptied it, it was full of jungle debris and leaves almost immediately. Cleaning these regularly would be like painting the Forth Bridge! My one gripe about the room was that it was a little dark, especially after nightfall - some more lights in strategic points about the villa would be very useful.

The Hacienda really is in the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the jungle, so we chose to eat all three meals each day there. Food was generally good, but rarely exceptional. The "Mani Chicken" on the evening menu was excellent but I found the regional fish dish to be underwhelming. One slightly unhelpful quirk was that the menus were not consistent between the in-room menu and the restaurant. For example, the room service menu included a club sandwich (which was very good, incidentally!) but if you asked for a lunch menu at the pool, this item was nowhere to be seen. You could still order it, however. We also discovered on our last day that the restaurant had daily specials, but we had never been offered these. When we asked about them at dinner, we were given a whole other menu of regional dishes that we hadn't been told about before! Baffling.

Besides that, the atmosphere and service at the restaurant was great. The staff there are especially helpful, and we built up good rapport with Felipe in the mornings and Ediel in the afternoons. This relationship with the staff really helped make us feel welcome and at home. We've been home about 24 hours and I already miss Ediel greeting me to dinner with a happy cry of "Senior Elleeee"!

We didn't do a lot during our stay besides sit by the pool. The pool itself is set below beautiful foliage in a beautiful spot. As a result, leaves and insects tend to drop in to the water on occasion, but I must stress that the pool was never what I would consider "dirty" and was always well within acceptable limits. There are some hammocks hanging above the water at one end under some shade, and six sun loungers with very comfortable cushions.

If you want to go out, there isn't a whole lot to do very close by. You have to reach out to Izamal (30 mins), Merida (45 mins) or even further to the likes of Chichen Itza (our only day-trip, approx 75-90 mins away), so be prepared to drive if you don't just want to sit by the pool.

I'll end this review by talking about the insects, which have been mentioned in the last few reviews. In our room, we had one medium-sized spider, which we swiftly dispatched into the night, one millipede and several tiny centipedes. Oh, and a dead gecko which fell from the eaves one night (poor chap). Besides that, we were not troubled at all. Admittedly, my wife did come up with a military-esque defence system involving lining the gaps under the doors with spare towels, but we arrived at the Hacienda with some anxiety caused by other reviews (particularly that of "Manny S") but our worries were largely unfounded. Basically, yes there are some bugs; but nothing overly worrying for anyone other than the most ardent entomophobic!

To sum up, Hacienda San Jose is in a beautiful jungle setting with magnificent grounds. The middle-of-nowhere location makes it very peaceful, and unless you are soil-yourself-scared of bugs, you will find it very relaxing indeed. Food is good; service is excellent. Equip yourself with a map, locate the road between Euan and Cacalchen and make your way here for a wonderfully laid-back break in the Mayan jungle.

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra, go for a Mayan Villa - you get a bit of extra privacy and loads of spac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank garethellis36
roberto o, Manager at Hacienda San Jose, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Garethellis 36,
Greetings from The Haciendas Luxury Collection in Yucatan and thank you for the detailed feedback regarding your stay with us in Hacienda San José. I shared your comments this morning with our Team – I am indeed grateful as it is through such detailed feedback that we can fine tune our service to ensure we deliver excellent service on a regular basis. I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to Ediel and Felipe and the rest of our staff - they really do a fabulous job.
Cordially yours,
Roberto Otálora - Operations Manager.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Location: yes, it is remote but not too difficult or impossible to find. There's a big sign at the main road right at the entrance way to the property. Not sure what everyone is complaining about. The grounds are beautiful, right in the middle of a tropical rain forest. It's conveniently located for day trips through the northern parts of the peninsula, including chicken itza, uxmal, celestun, Merida or progresso.

Staff: super friendly and attentive.

Rooms: we had the ones next to the restaurant for 4 nights; pretty spacious with comfortable beds, good pressured shower and wifi. The a/c unit worked fine, but weather wasn't extremely hot yet either.

Food: menu is authentic yucatan with a twist. Very flavorful, using fruits and veggies from their own garden on the property. But since we were there for a number of days, we wanted to branch out to some other places as well. Can recommend Kinich in Izamal and la Palapa in celestun.

Bugs: yes, you are in a rain forest, so bugs live here. I wasn't too bothered by them, but they do walk/fly around in the open air restaurant. The staff are pretty good about removing them quickly.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DeLaCampo
roberto o, Manager at Hacienda San Jose, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Greetings from Yucatan.

Thank you for your stay and for your review De La Campo; I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your accomodation - as you mentioned, they are gorgeously decorated and very spacious. I will be sure to pass your kind review along to the rest of our staff as we take pride in knowing our guests enjoyed their time with us. We very much look forward to your return.

Sincerely yours,

Roberto Otalora, Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tixkokob
Hotel Hacienda Ticum
Hacienda Hotel Santo Domingo
Hacienda Tepich
Hacienda Tepich
#1 of 1 in Acanceh

Been to Hacienda San Jose, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!