“Of mixed feelings”

Hacienda San Jose, A Luxury Collection Hotel, San Jose
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tixkokob
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of nowhere! Over 45 minutes from Merida - if you ever find it. There were some hotel signs in the nearby villages but to find these you have to have a lot of luck. Tip: Do NOT drive into Merida - take the ring road direction Motul (highway 178). As so far out forget going to Meria at night ie for dinner etc.! Nothing to do at hotel either but take a night cap. Reception and check-in / out was very friendly, helpful and efficient. Rooms of a decent size with large bathrooms. Shower had great pressure and lots of hot water. Bed was very comfortable - not too soft or hard. Didn't find our room dark as previously commented by others. Restaurant food not bad but not luxury standard. Pool area can become very windy. Pool water is freezing making it unappealing to go for a swim. Not enough lounge chairs per number of guests. No pool service - had to go get someone. Gardens are vast and looked after. Massage was very good - felt worth the price. Only negative is that the spa rooms are just off the entrance road to hotel so hear the occassional car and people go past. In light of the vast grounds perhaps a better place for the spa should have been found. General Manager and Spa Manager both very friendly and tried their upmost to make our stay a good one, which it was. Understand price of USD 400+ might be due to offering accomodation at this isolated location but can't really justify.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
roberto o, Director de Operaciones. at Hacienda San Jose, A Luxury Collection Hotel, San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Hellbraun,
Greetings from The Haciendas Luxury Collection in Yucatan and thank you for the detailed feedback regarding your stay with us in Hacienda San José. I shared your comments with our Team – I am indeed grateful as it is through such detailed feedback that we can fine tune our service to ensure we deliver excellent service on a regular basis. I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to our Resident Manager as also our Spa Manager and the rest of our team in order to have corrective actions regarding Maintenance issues and our pool services.
We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for taking the time to share your visit with us.
Cordially yours,
Roberto Otálora - Operations Manager.

There are newer reviews for Hacienda San Jose, A Luxury Collection Hotel, San Jose

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Our expectations were obviously too high after the hacienda was recommended to us in glowing terms by the agent we booked through, the reviews here and the hotel website which makes it look gorgeous. The place had a decrepit air, the gardens unkempt though the ruins scattered around from the old plantation days were atmospheric, also the charming little chapel. Our room was fine but almost no natural light - which is common of course in old properties which have been renovated, it wasn't a priority to have light and sun pouring into rooms before a/c. But it got depressing over 2 nights and 1 whole day with nothing to do, which is the core of the matter. There is nothing to do there at all. Nowhere to walk except further down the track which leads to the hacienda and as it is hemmed in by spindly trees and scrubby vegetation there is nothing to look at on a walk. No views anywhere to sit and admire as the forest crowds in on all sides, including right up to the plunge pool area behind our room which was very dark and univiting. There is a spa but we are not into that sort of thing, and we thought the treatments sounded pretty expensive. The swimming pool was beautiful and would have been inviting but the water was too cold for us. It could have been pleasant to sit by the pool area as there was an attractive terrace area but no where to atually sit, just loungers which is fine if you want to lounge. The bar area by the dining area was dark and uncomfortable. At least the food was good so we could look forward to meals. Apart from breakfast which was awful. How can anyone could a fried egg so badly? Also on the plus side there was free wifi so I used up some time writing emails, but I don't really consider that a highlight of being on holiday.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MyrtleWiltshire
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have to admit that I lied on my Starwood survey when I said that I'd be back, but only because my husband and I had such a wonderful time that now I want to try all of the other haciendas in the Luxury Collection.

There's so much talk about creating "experiences" for people (marketing speak) and Hacienda San Jose delivers while both feeling authentic and completely relaxing. We had the pleasure of arriving in the evening when the towering trees were lit from below to create a magical feeling, while the scent of some local night flower perfumed the air. That arrival was not without some trouble with directions, mostly because we took the wrong exit off the toll road (you want the Hoctun-Izamal exit, not the Izamal-only exit). Since this was our first time driving in Mexico, it was a little unnerving, but not so bad once you figure it out (check the Web for tips on driving in the Yucatan before leaving, or come in via helicopter--yup, this place has a landing pad).

But back to the hacienda. We had the junior suite 2 nights and the Mayan house 1 night. Both are unique and really made you feel both a million miles away from civilization while still getting all the comforts and feeling of being completely safe in the jungle. We've stayed in high-end converted monasteries in both Spain and Peru, both quite spiffy (if, as a previous reviewer said, you want to weight based on previous travel experiences), but this felt more relaxing yet still provides a historical feel--quite a feat, I think.

Unfortunately, we did not get a chance to use the temptingly lovely pool, but we did have both breakfast and dinner at the restaurant. Pretty good food, especially in comparison to our other "authentic" Yucatecan food experiences (if you really like food, go to Oaxaca). The grounds are lovely for strolling around and I adored the chapel. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Our visit was in November, low insect season, which probably made our stay more pleasant all around.

Room Tip: The Mayan house is almost too large to be comfortable, but it does have the king-sized bed hanging f...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

To be honest, I'm not sure where to start with a review of this wonderful Hacienda! I'd read several reviewers here talking about difficulties finding the place, but having received directions from the hotel by email before leaving the UK, we had an uneventful journey. We did however meet another couple who had great trouble finding the Hacienda, so I really do recommend doing your research to pin down the exact location before setting out (hint - it's not where Google thinks it is!).

Having spent five nights next to the picturesque Tulum coastline at Coqui Coqui Tulum (also amazing) where the service was friendly & helpful but also quite informal, it was a slight culture shock for us to arrive at the Hacienda and experience the more "hands-on" service right from the off. A porter arrived to take our luggage to our Mayan Villa room, Ediel from the restaurant emerged to serve us with delicious "Agua San Jose" (lemonade with a tea infusion) and someone else appeared from nowhere to park our car (you will need one of these if you plan to do anything other than lounge around the Hacienda).

Our room - a "Mayan Villa" - was amazing. The bedroom was huge, with a massive bed suspended from the roof beams. This took some getting used to but after a while it was really nice to be rocked gently to sleep. We also had a nice sitting area with a day bed. The rest of the villa contained the wash basins, shower area, dressing area and toilet, and this was very spacious as well. All was spotlessly clean. We also had a nice terrace with table & chairs and hammock, and a plunge pool. Regarding the latter, I noticed another review that complained that this was dirty and that staff would clean it on request. That reviewer complained that the plunge pools should always be clean. However I can see why the Hacienda does it like this - we had our pool cleaned and filled one day, and almost as soon as we'd emptied it, it was full of jungle debris and leaves almost immediately. Cleaning these regularly would be like painting the Forth Bridge! My one gripe about the room was that it was a little dark, especially after nightfall - some more lights in strategic points about the villa would be very useful.

The Hacienda really is in the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the jungle, so we chose to eat all three meals each day there. Food was generally good, but rarely exceptional. The "Mani Chicken" on the evening menu was excellent but I found the regional fish dish to be underwhelming. One slightly unhelpful quirk was that the menus were not consistent between the in-room menu and the restaurant. For example, the room service menu included a club sandwich (which was very good, incidentally!) but if you asked for a lunch menu at the pool, this item was nowhere to be seen. You could still order it, however. We also discovered on our last day that the restaurant had daily specials, but we had never been offered these. When we asked about them at dinner, we were given a whole other menu of regional dishes that we hadn't been told about before! Baffling.

Besides that, the atmosphere and service at the restaurant was great. The staff there are especially helpful, and we built up good rapport with Felipe in the mornings and Ediel in the afternoons. This relationship with the staff really helped make us feel welcome and at home. We've been home about 24 hours and I already miss Ediel greeting me to dinner with a happy cry of "Senior Elleeee"!

We didn't do a lot during our stay besides sit by the pool. The pool itself is set below beautiful foliage in a beautiful spot. As a result, leaves and insects tend to drop in to the water on occasion, but I must stress that the pool was never what I would consider "dirty" and was always well within acceptable limits. There are some hammocks hanging above the water at one end under some shade, and six sun loungers with very comfortable cushions.

If you want to go out, there isn't a whole lot to do very close by. You have to reach out to Izamal (30 mins), Merida (45 mins) or even further to the likes of Chichen Itza (our only day-trip, approx 75-90 mins away), so be prepared to drive if you don't just want to sit by the pool.

I'll end this review by talking about the insects, which have been mentioned in the last few reviews. In our room, we had one medium-sized spider, which we swiftly dispatched into the night, one millipede and several tiny centipedes. Oh, and a dead gecko which fell from the eaves one night (poor chap). Besides that, we were not troubled at all. Admittedly, my wife did come up with a military-esque defence system involving lining the gaps under the doors with spare towels, but we arrived at the Hacienda with some anxiety caused by other reviews (particularly that of "Manny S") but our worries were largely unfounded. Basically, yes there are some bugs; but nothing overly worrying for anyone other than the most ardent entomophobic!

To sum up, Hacienda San Jose is in a beautiful jungle setting with magnificent grounds. The middle-of-nowhere location makes it very peaceful, and unless you are soil-yourself-scared of bugs, you will find it very relaxing indeed. Food is good; service is excellent. Equip yourself with a map, locate the road between Euan and Cacalchen and make your way here for a wonderfully laid-back break in the Mayan jungle.

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra, go for a Mayan Villa - you get a bit of extra privacy and loads of spac...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garethellis36
roberto o, Manager at Hacienda San Jose, A Luxury Collection Hotel, San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Dear Garethellis 36,
Greetings from The Haciendas Luxury Collection in Yucatan and thank you for the detailed feedback regarding your stay with us in Hacienda San José. I shared your comments this morning with our Team – I am indeed grateful as it is through such detailed feedback that we can fine tune our service to ensure we deliver excellent service on a regular basis. I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to Ediel and Felipe and the rest of our staff - they really do a fabulous job.
Cordially yours,
Roberto Otálora - Operations Manager.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Location: yes, it is remote but not too difficult or impossible to find. There's a big sign at the main road right at the entrance way to the property. Not sure what everyone is complaining about. The grounds are beautiful, right in the middle of a tropical rain forest. It's conveniently located for day trips through the northern parts of the peninsula, including chicken itza, uxmal, celestun, Merida or progresso.

Staff: super friendly and attentive.

Rooms: we had the ones next to the restaurant for 4 nights; pretty spacious with comfortable beds, good pressured shower and wifi. The a/c unit worked fine, but weather wasn't extremely hot yet either.

Food: menu is authentic yucatan with a twist. Very flavorful, using fruits and veggies from their own garden on the property. But since we were there for a number of days, we wanted to branch out to some other places as well. Can recommend Kinich in Izamal and la Palapa in celestun.

Bugs: yes, you are in a rain forest, so bugs live here. I wasn't too bothered by them, but they do walk/fly around in the open air restaurant. The staff are pretty good about removing them quickly.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DeLaCampo
roberto o, Manager at Hacienda San Jose, A Luxury Collection Hotel, San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Greetings from Yucatan.

Thank you for your stay and for your review De La Campo; I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your accomodation - as you mentioned, they are gorgeously decorated and very spacious. I will be sure to pass your kind review along to the rest of our staff as we take pride in knowing our guests enjoyed their time with us. We very much look forward to your return.

Sincerely yours,

Roberto Otalora, Operations Manager

Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is a tough review because although most reviews on TripAdvisor need to be weighted based on who the reviewer is, this is paramount in the case of this hotel. So I will best disclose who I am as a traveller to then convey my review so you can decide how relevant what I say is to you.

First, my characterization in one sentence of what this hotel is: upscale and comfortable camping in an authentic havienda in the midst of the jungle, where your room is no more than a masonry "tent" allowing the predominantly nocturnal wildlife to enter your room at will.

Second, the unqualified realities:
- the hotel is hard to find, even with the right location on google maps, and using GPS function on previously downloaded map on Google Maps for iPad, I got lost briefly and I am extraordinarily good at directions. The streets through the small pueblos you pass through are hard to follow at times at intersections. All in all it's not that complicated, though, but be prepared.

- this IS isolated as others have said, not by much, but bad enough that there is NO cellphone signal, and occupancy seems to be consistently quite low so that it may just be you and the staff. I thought this was great, my wife felt very vulnerable. When I thought of it in her terms, I understood how she felt, but rationally, the place is safe. Effectively, it is not as latches on doors are not exactly industrial strength and if someone wanted to get in, it wouldn't be hard.

Third, who we are as travelers:
- as you can see in other reviews, we've stayed in bush lodges in Kruger Park, the desert in Sossusvlei, lodge near Vic Falls, etc. so we have experienced nature and come close to it, albeit not in the full jungle in a WET environment.
- we prefer city travel (urban anthropology) and desert/glacial environments for their desolation and true solitude from almost all living things (death valley, the Namib, the Rockies, etc.), although we do recognize that those have living things, they are not TEAMING with life.
- we love nature, but we like to come into contact with it on our own terms and in the outside environment (game drives, hikes, strolls through nature, etc.)

Fourth, the positives:
- the staff is very affable and fixed things when we asked relatively quickly, they were ready and willing to do whatever
- the grounds are amazingly beautiful
- the place is very agreeable to do strolls around
- they will arrange very romantic dinners for you just about anywhere on the property

Fifth, the negatives:
- we alerted that insects were a concern prior to arrival, candidly more could have been done to help in that regard, in the room alone
- when we arrived, the hotel was still being brought to order and was not to order until other guests arrived the next day. This included the cleaning of the pool when we arrived where a gentleman was at work but with a pump basically spewing all of the detritus onto the pool deck with a power cord and extension cord literally inches from the spewing water. Needles to say, such practices often will not yield injury, will cause a short, or other, but it just isn't safe anyway you slice it and my wife refused to enter the pool for the duration of the trip. Not to mention a slug we saw on side of pool which initially looked like a leach. Further, the first couple of days the pool chairs were never setup for use which we only noticed was done after the other guests arrived.
- the food, as other reviewers said, was passable but not extraordinary for the price. Will pay for quality, but there was a mismatch here, and no good food in the vicinity.
- the junior suites are cavernous and done in the original style by some "talented" architect who should stick to museums and not livable spaces. This architect should be forced to live in his product for a week (cretin). While the rooms are authentic, they do not deliver luxury, they deliver authenticity with comfort. Last I checked, this was the LUXURY Collection, not the Authenticity with Comfort Collection.
- A/C was not turned on when we arrived, this is basic, anyone who says to contrary or that it is so so that guest may choose at their leisure, is full of it. If the guest doesn't like the room being cold then they can open all the windows and it will be hot in two seconds, but to cool these cavernous 25 foot ceiling rooms, with windows and doors with NO insulating properties is very difficult, the 2 foot thick walls make no difference if you have gaping holes in them!
- the fans are set to updraft since hot air rises and there are high ceilings for that purpose, but when the small A/C unit is 25 feet up, it struggles to deliver air down. Reverse the flow of the fans.
- the doors are like sieves, just about any insect can pass through and any small mammal. For example, a 4 inch tarantula I killed in the middle of the night, and several large millipedes running around above your head as you sleep, with thuds in the night as they lose their grip (thankfully not on our heads). While I appreciate that keeping all critters out is impossible, some basic weather stripping, insulation, and sealing would be well warranted, FIRST (memo to the foolhardy architect) because we are no longer in the 19th century and SECOND because it is oh so in vogue to be "green" and provide better insulation while retaining the charm of years gone by.
- fix the potholes on the incoming driveway
- have more explanations of the property around the property, not just on some sheet given to the guest on arrival. I learned more about sisal production and haciendas in the Yucatan from a shop owner in Merida than I did while at the hacienda.
- having managed many items and restaurants previously, there is a lack of consistent direction at this property. The level is good overall, but the detail is lacking. For example, we have a small plunge pool in the junior suite back porch with an outside chair with cushion. Both were filthy and not ready for use, we were politely, but still unceremoniously told that these could be made ready for use if we so desired. But In fact they should just be ready, even if only for the guest to look at. Otherwise, next year's capital plan, just have them all removed. We had no desire to use them after we saw how they looked. Perception is half of everything. Also, some bulb was burnt out on our front porch on arrival and for first dinner. We are the only arriving guest, who did the pre-arrival inspection? It was replaced thanks to restaurant staff noticing. housekeeping, first line of defense, final line of defense is not the restaurant staff, it SHOULD be MOD or GM or RM ensuring that the SOLE concern they have at such a small property is that everything is set for the arriving guest. This property needs reports the opposite of this one, it needs occupancy up even in the low season, that's "found" money. Low season is not time to be down on your game, this review posts just as a new flock of guests considers their high season arrival.
- I'm a platinum SPG, I generally (but not completely) accept the reason why I was not given a better upgrade at an empty property (less bugs in the junior suites apparently), but regardless I did not feel special in any way. I was Diamond VIP with Hilton for many years while I was Platinum with SPG as well, I chose SPG as my lone horse for the one and only fact that they have small properties like this across the world and Hilton does not. Again, I forgive the "jungle" aspects of my stay, that is a matter of preference, but the other elements of the stay were generally unacceptable. As a Hotelier, I appreciated when my guests delivered the information to me in person while still on property so that I could remedy the issue, but sometimes when the list is so basic and yet comprehensive, you don't want to sit there and tell someone how to do their job on vacation, just want to move on and make the most of your vacation somewhere else where you can actually enjoy yourself. Also, management with good English should contact the guest on arrival. A well meaning and sweet Spanish speaking desk agent is not enough, particularly when, even with the best training in the world she cannot be truly in tune with the guest since she has simply never ever experienced the lifestyle of that guest. It is why we have sophisticated, cosmopolitan hoteliers plying the world's best secluded hotels, so that they can provide guidance to the indigenous staff who has no frame of reference.
- there is noting, really toning of interest that is convenient to this property, you need to drive a good 45 minutes to find anything. If that's the case, then stay in merida where there are things to do there and you still have to drive 45 minutes to see the same other things.

All in all, this is a great property but it is overrun by nocturnal insects, more could be done in guest rooms, both from a physical standpoint (sealing) and a preventive standpoint (second line of defense such as sticky tape, spraying outside every night, etc.). I regret that I have to post such a scolding review for what has clearly been a positive experience for many others (just don't wake up in the night, that's when the tarantulas are in your room), but it is my experience and I write many many reviews and this is what I have to say . . .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Manny S

Greetings from Yucatan,

Thank you Mr. Manny S. for choosing to spend your most special of occasions with us. I'm so pleased and we appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review. I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to rest of our staff .

In regard to your comments about your dining experiences, thank you the feedback which I will share with our Food & Beverage team and the Chefs. I apologise for the shortcomings you experienced in this area and rest of the Hacienda locations and I assured I will address the concerns you ´ve mentioned to us.Thanks again for bringing that to my attention.

We truly appreciate your recommendation of our lovely Hacienda, and I look forward to personally welcoming you back soon.

Sincerely yours,

Roberto Otalora - Operations Manager.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

The Hacienda is not easy to find, and you should not trust Goggle map to get there.... you will end up in the wrong village. The Hacienda is far from any kind of activity, but that's the main reason we loved it. It is Beautiful, peaceful and the staff is adorable.

Food was good, maybe not excellent though.
I would not come her just for the SPA treatment (quite average) but the surrounding / the buildings are just breathtaking.
Be aware you are in the jungle .... with the buggs that belong there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tixkokob
Hotel Hacienda Ticum
Hacienda Hotel Santo Domingo
Sotuta de Peon
Sotuta de Peon
#1 of 2 in Tecoh

Been to Hacienda San Jose, A Luxury Collection Hotel, San Jose? Share your experiences!