“A good afternoon”

Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We went to the Dutch House at Crayke last Sunday 02 December 2012.
We had a great afternoon, the atmosphere was welcoming because the staff all went out of their way to help and their smiles seemed honest and genuine. The food was delicious and they made a great cup of coffee.
It was a wonderful day with clear blue skies and despite the cold we had a good wander round the garden and had a look at the sculptures. We bought some wood carvings at the craft fair and listened to some world music sung by a group called Chechelele.
It was also nice to be reminded of my time in the Netherlands.

1  Thank 5Tim5
There are newer reviews for Dutch House

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We finally made it to Dutch House having been intrigued by the sign every time we passed it on our way north from York. We went at the wrong time of year to see the garden at its best but it promises well but were in time for a cup of tea and some delicious little poffertjes, tiny Dutch pancakes which were served with sugar and Dutch syrup. Definitely going back, they run craft courses which sound interesting and I need some more of those pancakes!!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was the second time I've been, the first time with two children who were kept amused for ages chalking on the blackboards, playing Pooh sticks and throwing hoops over tree stumps in the garden! We then had a great coffee and some of the tiny, tiny Dutch pancakes. The adults also enjoyed the exhibition of lino cuts and engravings.

This time I went with a friend for lunch and had lovely tasty homemade soup and bread followed by a gorgeous rich and moist chocolate brownie. My friend raved about the banana and chocolate spread Dutch pancake with ice-cream and said it was superb!

There was an exhibition of mosaics on the walls this time - always something different to see and a lovely atmosphere.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have just finished (Sunday, 30/09/2012) a course with Jennifer Tetlow in stone carving, the venue and food provided by Dutch House.

The course was excellent and, as a venue Dutch House was fantastic. In fact, the course was so good that the only thing that could drag us away from our sculptures was the lunch in the cafe.

A delicious soup and bread was followed by sandwiches and a salad. The course lasted 3 days and we had a different soup, a different salad and a different dressing every day. The only thing that didn't change was that it was all delicious every time. The primus inter pares was the courgette and fennel soup with a dash of ginger in the background and a dollop of sour cream. Just yum. I wish I could cook like that.

The proprietors, Jack and Cecile were unintrusive but friendly (the perfect combo if you ask me) unless you needed assistance in which case they had all the time you needed. They get a five star rating from me on all counts. I highly recommend them, as I would Jennifer Tetlow's course.

The meals were not expensive at all and the quality, yet again, was the best.

Two ladies on the course stayed at the B&B and said that the evening meal was even better than the lunches.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Have eaten here a few times now and have always been impressed with the service and food. Atmosphere is great, plenty for the kids to do, even when it is wet, and interesting art work on the walls. Food is freshly cooked, good quality and different from the normal Yorkshire fare. Dutch panckakes with both savioury and sweet fillings as well as interesting sanswiches and salads. Owner and staff friendly and helpful without being overpowering. All in all a good and different place to lunch in North Yorkshire.