“Lovely evening” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Durham Ox
Newcastle
“Lovely evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We chose the ox fr a cosy relaxing evening and good food. We arrived and were shown to our 2 bed apartment , very cold but radiators put on immediately. The bedroom was very cosy , the downstairs sette a bit grim brown colour more a futon but that's just not my taste. The kitchen bathroom fine with a nice stocked honesty bar.
The meal was amazing couldn't eat much of my main too full and very high quality. Wine flowing , very busy but full of atmosphere . Breakfast was lovely very nice and staff throughout were great we highly recommend a visit for chilling and relaxing

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Crayke is an absolutely gorgeous village. There's only the one place to eat, but the pub has great food. Breakfasts were substantial and of good quality. The room was great - very clean and modern and comfortable. Staff were friendly.

No big issues, just the following:

Internet reception in the rooms was weak - sporadic and this was a bit frustrating. Also - and this could possibly be something that is standard in the UK, I don't know - the radiators went off about 8pm and didn't come back on until 7am. So the room got pretty cold at night, and this was only in October.

Would we stay here again? Definitely.

Room Tip: We had the blue room, on the end of the block. You get most of the traffic from the car park driving...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LuckiestCouple
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

My daughter and I were over from the Continent for the Hull - Sunderland game and wanted to stay somewhere a bit quieter and homely outside Hull. I had tried the Horseshoe Inn in Levisham which I had visited last trip but they were not going for a one night only on Saturday nights. I found the Durham Ox in the Good Pub Guide as plausible alternative. Arrived at 1900 on Saturday to find the pub already quite busy. Was suprised how many tables they have in what appears from the outside to be a quite small looking pub. Our room was part of the renovated outbuildings behind the pub. Very stylishly decorated and well laid out. Great king size bed and huge bathroom with separate bath and shower. Very comfortable! Made our way back to the pub for our dinner. Excellent menu and plenty of friendly staff around to make sure you're not kept waiting too long to order or to get your food. Excellent real ale choice and from what I could tell a well stocked wine list. Food was very good.
Next morning we were able to appreciate the location of this pub. Amazing surroundings and views. Crayke is on a hill overlooking the surrounding Yorkshire countryside with magnisifcent views. Had a walk up the hill to the church after a great breakfast.
A fantastic place to stay, eat and unwind. Have already booked a night next summer for our annual Motorcycle Tour and expect to be back early next year again for an after football overnight.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank grant m
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Came here at the end of September for Sunday lunch. Lovely place set in a gorgeous little village. Staff were very welcoming and the ale was well kept.

The food was nice although the initial portion of veg was quite small but they do bring more if you ask. The Sunday dinner was fairly standard if I'm honest. Nice but it didn't stand out particularly from other places other than the lovely setting.

The deserts however were fantastic and the sticky toffee pudding was one of the best I've ever eaten out and I eat a lot of sticky toffee puddings!

The menu for other days looked fantastic and I'd definitely like to come back and sample the evening menu and perhaps stay over.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have never written a review in my life, mainly because I don't have a lot of spare time...however this place has made me set aside 5 mins to tell you how great it is!
Firstly, the food: wow, simply gorgeous! Secondly, the room was amazing. Super-clean, cosy, and such attention to detail. I am very fussy when it comes to cleanliness and quality, and this place was perfect. Comfortable bed, sumptuous pillows and heavy duvet that completely screams luxury! What can I say, I'm going back as soon as I can :)

• Stayed October 2013
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Chosen at random to celebrate my Wife's 50th, we picked an absolutely brilliant place. All of the staff were professional and friendly - even the cleaner stopped what she was doing to fetch a member of staff when I wanted to check out in the morning - where else does that happen?
From the moment we arrived, we were very well looked after. We were eating outside, and when the mains arrived, I ordered more drinks, which appeared in about 30 seconds!
The food was extremely good - both the evening meal, and the very substantional breakfast the next morning.
We stopped in the Blue Room, which was cosy and comfortable, and enjoyed a very good night's sleep. A very reaxing and tranquil stay.
I could not find fault with any aspect, and would love to have the opportunity to return.
It's the sort of place, where an unexpected snowstorm that closed the roads would cause you to glance heavenwards and whisper "Thank You".

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

THey ran out of beef roast so I got for the same price a rib eye steak with all th trimmings. The breakfast has egg benedicts/Royale/Florentine with beautiful eggs. Therromlooks nice inside but then we opened the bathroom bin and it wasn't empty, the shower was wet and the teapot was still full of the previous brew.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chantal V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crayke
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,399 reviews

Been to The Durham Ox? Share your experiences!