“Consistently good food and service”
Review of Durham Ox

Durham Ox
Reserve with OpenTable
Durham Ox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Crayke
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We use the Durham Ox regularly and this time my wife and I took her sister for dinner. They both had the venison Wellington while I had a ribeye steak. The food was excellent (and I tasted the venison which was soft and pink) and the plates were cleared.
This restaurant is very good and, just as important, is consistently so. If you are in the area and have not tried it you should.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were going out for the afternoon and decided to book a table for on the way home.I telephoned and they told me they stated serving food at 6.00 although the pub opened at 5.30.We booked a table for 6.00 but arrived at about 5.40 we were nicely greeted and shown to our table.We were then asked if we wanted pre drinks which we ordered then the head waiter took our food order at about 5.45.Bread then quickly arrived and before we finished this my starter arrived,no sooner than i had finished my starter my plate was taken and we got our mains within say a minute.It was just too hurried.The restaurant was really busy this was a wednesday night it felt as though they wanted our table by 6.30.I felt i was forcing down our wine to keep pace with the food service again my pre drink beer i felt i was under pressure to force it down.Fortunately we slowed down a desert by asking for a 10 mins rest.The sevice was very good the atmosphere very good the food good but it was too hurried

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed overnight on Thursday 17th October and had dinner in restaurant. Have visited a few times for lunch and have always thoroughly enjoyed this pub and service has been good. This time decided to stay overnight as a treat and enjoy evening meal. When called to book was advised that room would be £100. Had Green Room but disappointed to be woken up by workmen at 7.30 in morning working right outside, also our car was covered in a film of sand from the work. As it would appear we were the only guest staying would have appreciated being warned of the potential early start. Would warn anyone staying in this room that there's no chance of creeping to the bathroom without waking up partner as the door is so noisy. Food very good but service could have been better, had a drink at bar before eating and gent who served us didn't show us which table we'd be sitting at so propped up the bar - barman asked if we'd been shown our table and then said it's the one behind you, however on finishing our drink the manager? then showed us to another table. Deciding what dessert to have only to hear that the table next to us requested to have cheese, to be told that they didn't have any!!! Cooked breakfast was good. Husband paid bill and I only realised once we had left that they had charged us £120 for the room. Won't be going back in a hurry.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at Hazlewood Farm in Crayke and the two nights we used the Durham Ox pub and restaurant. We chose the 7/7/7 menu and found it suited us very well. The food was excellent as was the service from Charlotte. This is a great place to eat.....the atmosphere, the friendliness, the value for money make it one of the best restaurants in the area......

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Went to Durham Ox for our wedding anniversary meal. Not from the area so didn't know what to expect. Can choose from either a £7 before 7pm menu or an a la carte menu. We chose a la carte and it lived up to its stereotype but my the food was amazing! Lovely atmosphere created by candlelight and beautiful views of the countryside for miles...Overall, good quality food and service and very welcoming.