“Everything you need for an unforgettable day of wine tasting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tours du Rhone

Tours du Rhone
Ranked #29 of 87 Tours in Vaucluse
More attraction details
Owner description: Custom Designed Wine Tours of the Cotes du Rhone A unique approach to custom designing wine and vineyard tours of the legendary Rhone valley. Whether you are a first-time traveler, or a seasoned adventurer, you will get a first-hand, up-close and personal view of the Cotes du Rhone region; its wines, the winemakers, and the Provencal life of the French wine country. All with the help of an American winemaker living and making wine in the Cotes du Rhone. Experience Living the Dream!
West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“Everything you need for an unforgettable day of wine tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

What are the three things an American needs for a complete day of wine tasting in France?

1. A French translator - after all, we products of the American education system are rarely fluent in foreign languages and you can't expect everyone in France to understand English.
2. A wine expert - a real expert can recommend wines that best fit your palette and educate you on the subtleties of different methods of wine production.
3. A chauffeur - a day of wine tasting with friends or loved ones is much more fun when you don't have to worry about staying sober enough to drive!

Our tour guide, Doug, was all of this and more. He is a professional winemaker from Seattle who opened up his own artisanal winery in the Provence region several years ago. Now, he's expanded his business to take parties of up to four on day-trips tasting wine around this beautiful area he calls home.

My wife and I worked with Doug to design a custom tour of the Côtes du Rhône wineries. The rolling hills opened to stunning vistas, keeping our cameras busy before we ever tasted our first wine. Doug shared his expertise, teaching us about the French AOC wine designations and different grape varieties grown in the area. Midway through the tour, he took us for a delicious lunch at a quaint, neighborhood cafe. Then, we were back on the road for more wine and more adventure! Near the end of the tour, we also made an unscheduled stop at a nearby chocolate factory (what goes better with wine than good chocolate?).

We were extremely pleased with our tour. You can choose a package plan or design your own tour to focus on wines that interest you most. You get lunch, transportation, some useful souvenirs and Doug's expertise all for one low price. We highly recommend Tours du Rhone to any American wine lover visiting the Provence region in France.

Afterward, we had 12 bottles of incredible wine (at shockingly low prices!) to bring back to the US and incredible memories that will last with us forever.

Visited June 2012

Seattle, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Learned more in a day about wine than I had in a lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I had a fantastic day touring the Cotes du Rhone with Doug! I learned a great deal about wine, local history, and wine industry from Doug. I finally know why you blend grapes (I always thought it was to cover up your mistakes but that's not true) and why going for an AOC is pretty important. Doug explained everything very well for two novices, was very approachable, and is a really nice guy. I also have to say that his fee represents excellent value for money. We looked around and everyone else doing a full day tour charges 3-4x what he does. As Americans from Seattle it was great to have the company of someone who knew our home so well (Doug is originally from Seattle) and I think that made us feel very much at home. I recommend him highly!

Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
“Chateaunuef du Pape wine tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I loved this guy. Educated, intelligent ex-pat, former engineer, left the US to retire in Provence and now offers well-informed, no-nonsense wine tours. Picks you up, visits 3-4 of his favorite vineyards, then lunch, then 2-3 more vineyards. If you have some vineyards in mind, he works that in. We asked 1,000 questions and learned a ton. Fee is very reasonable. Very knowledgeable on how to ship wine back at no extra charge. We got 16 well-packed bottles back in our checked luggage.

Visited September 2012
Las Vegas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Highlight of our 2 weeks in France”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Doug was simply the perfect tour guide. He was very knowledgeable and very well connected with the wineries we toured. We asked him to focus on Chateauneuf du Pape since it is our favorite wine. We started with an introduction to the region and the varietals that go into CDP. He even stopped at a vineyard and showed us the vines, grapes and taught us about the growing and care of the vines. He took care to take us to our favorite winery Vieux Telegraph and at another winery we were treated to an amazing tasting which included a barrel tasting and a pre-barrel tasting from the steel fermentation vat. AWESOME!!!

He included a lovely lunch and during lunch I related a story of how I became enamored with CDP. He knew of the specific maker of my first CDP and took us to a place that actually had it in stock! It's a wine that I have not been able to find in the USA for 20+ years!

As the day passed, we visited 8 different wineries with tastings at each. The really wonderful thing about Doug is he knew what precisely to ask for at each tasting, so we got to sample different styles and the *best* of the vintages available for tasting. Often we had Old Vine vintages which you cannot find in the USA and it was truly remarkable.

He was also very knowledgeable about bringing wine back to the USA and the possible issues with customs. Following his advice, we managed to get 24 bottles through customs without paying any duty!

Next time we are in his area, we will DEFINITELY book another tour with him. We booked with a larger, more commercial tour guide for Champagne which was very good, but Doug was incredible. His personal attention to detail and his knowledge made it a truly remarkable experience. And his pricing was extremely fair.

Visited August 2012
Bronxville, New York, United States
“Relaxing day in the Luberon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

I had a fabulous fun-filled day of wine tasting in the Luberon region of Provence. Doug, my tour guide, took me to 4 different vineyards where we sampled some amazing wines. Doug is an expert in wines, grapes and wine making, and I spent the day picking his brain and getting a great education on wine and the wine industry. Doug also took me on a ride through the region where I was able to take in the spectacular views and get some beautiful photos. He treated me to a provencial in a beautiful hill-top village. We then visited the corkscrew and lavendar museums which were both really interesting. It was a very laid-back day, custom-made to my tastes, knowledge and interests. During my next visit to Provence, I plan to connect with Doug again and take a tour of the Cote du Rhone wine region to learn more about the wines in this part of France. This was a great tour, with a great guide and teacher who gave the personal touch that you don't see from other tours. It was well worth the time and the price, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to further explore this beautiful part of France.

Visited June 2012