“Mount Robert circuit for amazing views”

Poole, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Mount Robert circuit for amazing views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Another highlight of my 3 week New Zealand tour was the Mount Robert circuit from St Arnaud. 5-hour loop walk up, around and down this mountain. The first uphill section was called Pinchgut track for a good reason, but there are amazing views from the top across Lake Rotoiti and down to St Arnaud on the other side. Definitely recommended, but you need to be fit.

1 Thank JohnJ-PooleUK

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Nelson, New Zealand
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Very impressive landscape!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

I spent 4 days in the Nelson Lakes National Park, camping either at West Bay or Kerr Bay campsite. I can definitely recommend visiting, even if it's only for a day. The two lakes are very pretty, Rotoiti is more commercial than Rotoroa but has got a greater variety of walks & tramps as well. I did the Mt. Roberts Circuit which is demanding, especially when it's hot but very rewarding. The next day I did the St. Arnaud Range Track, that was 3 hours steadily walking uphill but if you do it on a fine day, the views are suberb. On my last day I walked around the lake which was a good idea as well because you get to see valley at the back of the lake which offers a different landscape again. Sandflies get really bad at night so take repellant! I can especially recommend, if camping, staying at West Bay, good facilities, clean and even private camping spots. It's a good spot to stay for a couple of days to get away from it all :) When I visited, the lake was even warm enough for a dip after a day's hike so a very pleasurable experience!

2 Thank Mareike S
Norwich, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Sadly a cloudy day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I can imagine that on a sunny day this lake will look stunning. When we visited it was cloudy early morning so chilly too. However we got a very moody photo of the lake shouded by cloud and then had a pleasant walk around its crystal clear waters

Columbus OH
283 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 284 helpful votes
“Stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

I hadn't been to Nelson Lakes for over 30 years and it was just as beautiful as I remembered. We did the Peninsula Walk on the first afternoon. It is easy and the bush is ferny and pretty. We saw the huge eels in the crystal clear water at West Bay. It was too cold to swim and the eels would have put me off anyway. The second day we did the 5 hour Mt Roberts circuit. We took our time but it still only took 3 and a half hours. The track is well graded with switchbacks so it not hard. There are great views from the track. Yes, there were a few sandflies but they weren't too bad. The town of St Arnaud is small and pretty.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank ohiowanderer
Perth, Australia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Mt Robert trek was breathtaking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

So I'm far too unfit for most of the treks in NZ and so the ~2hr walk up Mt Robert sounded like a nice doable trek. Boy was I underestimating the steepness of mountains! I did make it to the top but was completely exhausted and felt like a competitor on the Biggest Loser (I actually have the opposite body type of them too..). However, I felt amazing when I got to the top, the view was worth all the pain.

So the moral of the story is, if you are super fit then the 1.5hr trek vertical will be a piece of cake but if you are only moderately fit (I thought I was moderate but this has made me think otherwise) and looking for a challenge then Mt Robert is the place to go. I didn't do the whole 5hr or whatever loop around because I left a friend half-way down the mountain but going up and down was still stunning (although hard on the knees). Also I just went to the top where theres a pile of rocks - didn't seem worth it to keep going around to the cabin.

Visited November 2013