“Stunning”

283 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 284 helpful votes
“Stunning”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I hadn't been to Nelson Lakes for over 30 years and it was just as beautiful as I remembered. We did the Peninsula Walk on the first afternoon. It is easy and the bush is ferny and pretty. We saw the huge eels in the crystal clear water at West Bay. It was too cold to swim and the eels would have put me off anyway. The second day we did the 5 hour Mt Roberts circuit. We took our time but it still only took 3 and a half hours. The track is well graded with switchbacks so it not hard. There are great views from the track. Yes, there were a few sandflies but they weren't too bad. The town of St Arnaud is small and pretty.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank ohiowanderer

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Perth, Australia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Mt Robert trek was breathtaking”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

So I'm far too unfit for most of the treks in NZ and so the ~2hr walk up Mt Robert sounded like a nice doable trek. Boy was I underestimating the steepness of mountains! I did make it to the top but was completely exhausted and felt like a competitor on the Biggest Loser (I actually have the opposite body type of them too..). However, I felt amazing when I got to the top, the view was worth all the pain.

So the moral of the story is, if you are super fit then the 1.5hr trek vertical will be a piece of cake but if you are only moderately fit (I thought I was moderate but this has made me think otherwise) and looking for a challenge then Mt Robert is the place to go. I didn't do the whole 5hr or whatever loop around because I left a friend half-way down the mountain but going up and down was still stunning (although hard on the knees). Also I just went to the top where theres a pile of rocks - didn't seem worth it to keep going around to the cabin.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank izzo0o0o
Christchurch, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“St Arnaud”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have just visited St Arnuad with tramping friends, What a stunning part of New Zealand. So many walks and tramps. Sand flies not as bad as everyone says. Hidden gem

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Penny S
Nelson, New Zealand
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Stunning Scenery”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My partner and I live in Nelson and don't visit Lake Rotoiti as often as we should. We stayed there recently on a grey and showery weekend. Undaunted by the weather we set off to walk part of the Head of the Lake walk. The scenery was stunning and the canopy of tress protected us from most of the rain. The track was well maintained at first but as we got further along there were many washouts and tree roots protruding as well as recently fallen trees blocking some of the path. These did not detract from the loveliness of the location, it just meant you needed to be fairly sure footed. We also kayaked on the lake which was magical with the water like glass and the only noise birdsong. The eels under the wharf were huge and enjoyed being fed. The path from our motel down to the lake was lovely and felt like you were in the middle of nowhere. Beware the sandflies though, even on a dull day we were swamped by clouds of them down by the lake. Insect repellant before you get out of the car is a great idea and don't leave your car doors open otherwise you will find many of them inside.

Visited September 2013
Cambridge, New Zealand
433 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 245 helpful votes
“Hidden secret Nelson Lakes National Park”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoy visiting Nelson Lakes National park. There are so many great hiking places to visit there. Each time I come back I find something new. Something different. I believe it is a best kept secret.

Visited January 2013