“You have to stay here, you will not be dissapointed.”
Review of The Phelips Arms

The Phelips Arms
Ranked #3 of 5 Montacute B&B and Inns
Hampshire uk
“You have to stay here, you will not be dissapointed.”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just back from a one night stay at the Phelips Arms and I cannot praise the owners enough for the warmth and friendliness they and the local peolple showed us. We booked the dog friendly room as our dog travels eveywhere with us and you could not fault the owners Nicola and Adey for their concern and care of our dog Bullseye and our concerns over him being allowed in the public area as he is very shy. My dog is no longer shy anymore as he was treated like a member of the family and was made to feel at home the minute we all walked in by the super owners and the local people alike. We were told we could have a later breakfast if we wanted, we were told to let the dog run in the garden, we were made to relax by the wonderful owners.. we were made to literally feel like we had the the place to ourselves. I am a 15 stone man and I like my food but I dare anyone to say the full English breakfast is small, oh sorry I forget the fresh fruit, the juices, the cereals and marmalades and jam.. It just went on forever (happy days) We had a family meal the night before with seven members with all different meals... It's no problem, piping hot with great portions and superb value for money. We were lucky enough to have stayed here and we are already booking a 7 night stay at the Phelips Arms. Don't take my word for it try. Every person we met whether it be the owners or the local people could not have made you feel more welcome. In my opinion you get what you pay for but these two young owners go over and above. Thank You very much for our stay, see you in April.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Worthing, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We booked this hotel for an overnight stay as we were attending the Yeovil v Brighton game. My partner and myself travelled from Worthing and my son and girlfriend came from Exeter. Our rooms were immaculate. I commented on their facebook page to say I hoped to get a particular room and Guess What? I GOT IT.The owners and staff were great, the food in the Evening excellent and the Breakfast huge. The pub was used as the opening scene for Sense and Sensibility. There are pictures all over the wall and lots of information on the history of the area.
Thank you so much, the pub is a credit to the owners and staff and the Village of Montacute lives up to its name "CUTE". We will definitely return.

Room Tip: All rooms to a very High Standard
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gracem393
Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

stayed last week nice short break location for the footie Yeovil town 4 miles away.
good food and beer and very friendly people. national trust house almost next door nice place to send some time in. Nicola is a very friendly hoist

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockton On Tees
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Found this place on another site whilst I was on business in the area. I initially booked for one night and ended up staying for four. The standard of the rooms is excellent as was the food and ale. The locals also made me very welcome. The Phelips is fantastic value for money, and I can't praise Adey and Nicola enough for their hospitality.
I definitely know where I shall be staying the next time I'm in the area. Once again, Thank You for the experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Clean comfortable double room (4) overlooking picturesque village square with cottages made from the local golden coloured Hamstone. 100 yards fro Montacute House a National Trust property well worth a visit.Ideal location for touring this part of the country.Couldn't fault the food

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have the best views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dorset
Reviewed August 22, 2013

It was a last minute decision to get away to visit NT houses and gardens so we plumped for the Phelips Arms in Montacute. A picture perfect village and the pub is central on a little square with the entrance to Montacute House steps away. For the price we paid we thought the bedroom was excellent. Nicely decorated, bright and sunny with gorgeous beds! We ate there in the evening and had real home cooking. To be recommended! Only quibble was access to the place can be difficult out of reception hours (check when booking). This is a pub not a hotel remember. Also the front door lock is faulty and without help I couldn't open the door early in the morning! You would have to be super human to eat ALL the offerings for the cooked breakfast!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thornhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just returned from a three night stay at the Phelips Arms and we can't thank the hosts Adie and Nicola enough.
From the moment we arrived (early) they did everything possible to make our stay an enjoyable one
The village of Montacute is a gem of a "chocolate box" Somerset village, and the Phelips is an ideal base to explore it and the surrounding area
Although we only ate at the pub on one evening the food was good - tasty and filling
The en-suite room was clean and well equipped, but watch out for the beams !
Oh, and the breakfasts - they are huge !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montacute
Ash House Hotel
#10 of 13 in Yeovil
The Preston Hotel
The Preston Hotel
#8 of 13 in Yeovil

Been to The Phelips Arms? Share your experiences!