“Average food, in a very odd atmosphere”

Wayne's Bar & Bistro
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in West Camel
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Wayne's Bar and Bistro, come and enjoy the experience.Try something from our Bistro menu or sample continental dishes with friends and family. Our recently refurbished restaurant and outside eating area is the perfect place to relax, dine and drink, with it's informal atmosphere, friendly staff and great music, having a good time is inevitable.Our food is freshly cooked on site to order by our exemplary chefs.Whether it is one of our great American burgers, a pizza to share or a full three course meal you are after, we have something on our menu to suit every appetite.Our bar is the ultimate place to relax, have fun and soak up the atmosphere. With great music, a great selection of drinks including an extensive wine list and our own blend of freshly brewed ground coffee, we are confident there will be something to suit all tastes
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We drove around the area, as caught out travelling late and feeling very hungry. After trying 2 other places, we settled for Wayne's as we thought due to its service station appearance and location, the food would be quick to our table...this was not the case.
We ordered 2 main meals and after an hour they finally arrived. You might think this was acceptable if the restaurant was full, but there were only 1 other table (of 4) waiting for their dinner when we arrived.
The waitress never told us we would have to wait this long, otherwise we would have gone elsewhere.
When the food did finally arrive, it was very average. Would we dine here again, honestly no. In actual fact every time my husband and I pass Wayne's we make a joke about going to eat there. Instead we would highly recommend and always eat when passing this part of the A303 The Queens Arm pub in Corton Denham...the food and service are amazing.
The restaurant itself it really strange inside, it reminded me of a basic restaurant in the Costa Del Sol...tiles on the floor and lifeless. It really is not a place I would recommend, and I go out to eat at least 2 nights a week and love all types of food and trying new places.

Wayne S, Owner at Wayne's Bar & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear Well_travelled35_44,

I was disappointed to receive your review and particularly concerned to hear that your experience with us was at variance with the other 1000+ travellers and ‘locals’ we have dining at Wayne’s every week.

Our Bistro has been constructed to have a slightly ‘continental’ feel hence the inclusion of various continental dishes on our menu. This feel and ambience of course will not be to everyone’s taste; however, we are constantly complimented on the finish of the Bistro, in particular, on the very high standards of cleanliness that we maintain and moreover, on the exceptional quality of our service.

We also pride ourselves on training our staff to keep customers informed of any potential delays to ensure that situations such as you have articulated do not occur. We meticulously record any dissatisfaction from customers and discuss any occurrences as a senior team each week to give us the best chance of constantly improving. It is difficult to tell from your review when you visited and I can find nothing recorded in our log about a one hour food delay, going back several weeks. Any such delays are totally unacceptable and in light of that, I would very much appreciate you contacting me directly with further detail to enable me to better understand the circumstances, to deal with ‘what went wrong’ and to prevent any further reoccurrence.

In the meantime, I can only apologise for your disappointment with Wayne’s. I assure you that I will investigate the matter on receipt of further details and do my best to alleviate your disappointment, as I would do with all legitimate complaints.

Yours sincerely

Wayne

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We ate breakfast here in January 2012, en route to Cornwall. The staff were friendly, the food, hot and very tasty. We are driving to family in Somerset this week (December 2012) and although only half an hour away, we will leave home at 7am and aim to have breakfast here round 9am, it is that good. Do not pass it by - you will be very disappointed. Forget the Little Chefs etc, there is no comparison.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Traveling by car to the West Country along the A303 is a challenge to find an inviting restaurant. No more! We felt lucky when we spotted "Food served all day" and pulled into Wayne's Bar and Bistro. Very welcoming hostess, plenty of choice on the menu, and what we chose was served nicely and on time A great find and we would definitely stop again,

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We live in Cobham Surrey and our son and family live in Plymouth. Not only is Waynes Bar and Bistro pretty well spot on halfway between the two it is the absolute best in every way.We found it just after it opened and will not stop anywhere else. Everything about the place is FIRST CLASS, Dont take my word for it,call in ,you will not be disappointed. It is the highlight of our long drive.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I called in here with a couple of colleagues last Sunday for a light afternoon snack. I was sorry I wasn't hungrier as the menu looked really appetising, but settled for scones and coffee. Simple enough in one way (but how many horrible coffees have you had?) but beautifully presented and, most importantly, delicious.

The staff were friendly and efficient. I've noted the location on my satnav as it's a much nicer place than the average trunk road diner.