“The only place I've been where the desert arrives before the main!”
Review of The Helyar Arms

The Helyar Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Coker
“The only place I've been where the desert arrives before the main!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Boring,unappealing and lack of any substance! That's just the staff!! I had the salmon followed by the fish and chips. The salmon came from tescos own range! And the fish tasted like it had been battered but not fried! The chips were obviously left over from another meal and cut roughly into a chip shape and heated up! The mushy peas were shredded and obviously over cooked in the microwave! Our dessert arrived after our starters! We told the waiter who took it back to the kitchen, shortly our main courses followed! When did get our dessert after our main course it was obvious they had just put it back in the fridge until we had finished! No issue as we hasn't touched it but at least re-plate it!! Wouldn't return!

• Stayed September 2012
7 Thank Krider_85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Newtown,Powys
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Having read previous reviews commenting on unfriendliness/bad service ,we were unsure of what to expect of the Helyar.The location of the hotel was superb-a sleepy "chocolate box "village packed with thatched cottages with roses around the doors,pretty stream running alongside the road and country church and manor house.
Upon arrival we were checked in and shown to our room.The room was fine-decent comfy bed,pine furniture providing more than adequate storage,good sized bathroom with shower and toiletries.Hospitality tray was provided with homemade biscuits-a nice touch! Lovely quality bed linen and towels.
On our first morning it appeared that we were the only 2 guests at the hotel.Breakfast was a good selection of yoghurts,cereals, juices,croissants,and a good selection from the hot menu.
The choice was extensive and we certainly didnt leave the table hungry-the portions were very generous.We had undivided attention,and the food was cooked perfectly.The second morning there was a party of 8 and another couple.The food selections were equally as good.We were the first down for breakfast and again the service was faultless-dont know if that changed when it got busier later on.
The dinner menu looked very impressive and when we saw other guests meals arriving they looked very tempting.However,we decided to eat at other restaurants during our 2 day stay as we considered the prices on the menu were somewhat excessive.
We booked this break with a KGB deal and felt it was very good value-not sure if I would be prepared to pay the full price but we certainly had no complaints about our short break,and would stay again.Good breakfast,nice room.friendly staff,and wonderful location...........try it for yourselves and I am sure you would not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Newtown_PowysMrsC
Exeter
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The Helyar Arms deserves better reviews as far as we were all concerned.

East Coker is a beautiful and charming, quiet corner of England and the Helyar Arms is a characterful old building. The menu is enticing with many freshly chalked up specials. The tomato and red pepper soup, battered fish and chunky chips and sticky toffee pudding got our vote.

Jeanette the Bar Manager works incredibly hard and we all wish her well with the birth of her baby. Our party of 8 certainly felt very at home and comfortable in the surroundings.

Room Tip: Furzy Knap I think our room was called. At the front. Watch out for the hourly tune on the village c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in August, had breakfast every day, dinner one night and quite a few drinks.

Room
Nothing fancy but neat and tidy, tasteful pine furniture, plenty of storage, beds good if a little soft, good electric shower, really nice homemade biscuits provided. We spent a lot of time lazing around in there.

The staff were all really friendly, we spent a lot of time sitting at the bar chatting with them. Several of them went out of their way to help - all requests granted when we asked for deviations from the menu, the housekeeping staff transformed the twin beds into a double when we asked, staff even provided olive oil for us to put in the dog's food when she was poorly! The only hitch was that we booked direct over the phone but our booking wasn't recorded and when we arrived there was no room booked out for us... fortunately there was a no-show which freed up a room for us. Staff were very apologetic.

Good all round. It's not cheap but it's quality. I particularly recommmend the chocolate ice cream (definitely the best I have ever had) and the mixed grill; the homemade bread is a bit tough and the tagliatelle bolognese had something unusual in it that I wasn't keen on. Good range of real ales. A couple of different staff members cook breakfast, if you get one of the chefs it's excellent, if you get one of the other staff the coffee may be weak and the eggs may be undercooked. The ingredients are still great though - really thick bacon!

Location
East Coker is beautiful and well-placed for exploring, we went to Weymouth, Glastonbury and Sherborne. The Helyar Arms is a very rustic old building - wonky floors etc. Beware of the lack of streetlights.

Dogs
The Helyar Arms is very dog-friendly - all the staff are dog-lovers - dogs are allowed to be left alone in rooms and taken in the bar and the restaurant. There's a resident spaniel that wanders about (but doesn't bother people). This was fantastic for us, our dog was a hit with the staff and it was great not to be made to feel awkward if she barked, but beware if you are allergic to dogs. There are lots of lovely footpaths nearby for walks, if you turn right out of the main entrance and go all the way down the lane it turns into a footpath.

Price
On laterooms a few days before we travelled I saw the price £55 per room per night. I rang up and was quoted £89 prpn for booking direct but when I mentioned the laterooms price the manager agreed to honour it, so we got our 4 nights for £220. It was definitely worth this money, I don't think it would be worth £89 prpn.

Room Tip: We were in the Beryl Knapp room which has new beds and according to housekeeping the sanitation syst...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosina P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

FOOD
- For starter we all had baked camembert's which were very yummy. But unfortunately they did cost a little over £8 each which I think is extortionate for what is effectively an average camembert, half a loaf of bread and the tiniest amount of red onion chutney. Like I said, it tasted amazing, but that was because it was baked camembert and we all know baked camembert is yummy. It did not taste amazing because the chef had added anything to it that would make it special, unique or in anyway justifiable of the £8 price. Other starters were priced at around £6-7
- For main I had sausage, egg and chips. Like above it was yummy, but nothing amazing. It was very bog standard and certainly not worth the £12 they charged. The chips infact were very disappointing. They were 'chunky chips' but were absolutely HUGE which meant I was eating more potato then actually chip.
- Dessert was actually extremely scrumptious with a superb layout and excellent quality - maybe the chef really goes to town with desserts and not anything else. I had a raspberry and white chocolate mousse with chocolate icecream (See photo). This was about £6 but this time was actually worth the money - it was exceptional.

SERVICE
- The barmaid was nice enough but lacked personality and enthusiasm. It would have really added to the whole experience if she gave us a warm welcome and asked how we were. She gave off a vibe that she had no interest in the job and that she was almost bored of life. It was very uninspiring.
- The service time was pretty awful. The barmaid was the only member of staff so in all fairness to her she was trying to juggle both the bustling bar, taking orders and serving food. It was definitely a bad call on management to allow just one person to deal with all that. This did unfortunately mean that we had to wait a long time for our orders. After we had finished our mains we had to wait over 15 minutes to have our plates collected, and that was only because in the end I went up to the bar and asked the barmaid for the dessert menu. I was quite surprised by her rude response, which sounded as though she was annoyed that I had prompted her.

PROS
- Good food with quality, local produce. The food is definitely above average.
- Nice family atmosphere

CONS
- Little personality from staff
- Extremely slow service
- Ridiculous prices - I'd like to add that I've lived in Somerset for 20 years and I've been to a wide range of country pubs but this is by far one of the most expensive I've come across for the fact its a very average pub in itself. At the end of the day it is JUST a country pub - and not even a picturesque one at that - so it shouldn't be charging those sort of prices. I currently live in London and I've paid the same prices for better food in top, restaurants. I would have given this place 5 stars (even overlooking the staff) because the food is very good - it is definitely above average but still not worth price. If the pub looked like it should be on a postcard, had a wonderful, positive atmosphere then perhaps the price wouldn't seem so out of place but instead its a very ordinary building with nothing special going for it. I wont be avoiding the place altogether but I will recommend that people should definitely search around for an equally good pub but with cheaper prices first.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenny M
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We visited the Helyar Arms on Sunday 26 August. It was not very busy and the welcome was non existent. We ordered three sandwiches - two ham with mustard on the side and one BLT and a portion of chips. When the sandwiches came the bread was stale, there was a lot of thick white fat and the ham did not cover the bread, Also, there was no butter on one side of the sandwich. The mustard failed to turn up but eventually came when asked.

We did leave a note with the waitress and I have e mailed they Helyar Arms but have had no reply. I did say I would be putting something on this web site and thought they might just get in touch. This cost us £22 for the three sandwiches and one portion of chips. Is it a case of fleece the tourist while we can?? It was definetly not worth the money and we will never darken their doors again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Victoria T

Travelers are raving about these East Coker hotels

Yeovil
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Everyone that worked at the Heylar Arms for our daughters wedding pulled out all the stops, they made our day truly memorable. Thank you all. Food EXCELLANT thanks Matt. All the staff worked so hard all through the day and evening always with a smile. Nothing was too much trouble would thoroughly recommend the Heylars as a wedding venu

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Premier Inn Yeovil Town Centre Hotel
The Preston Hotel
The Preston Hotel
#7 of 13 in Yeovil

Been to The Helyar Arms? Share your experiences!