See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed May 3, 2015

The hostel/hotel is in Poneloya, a very small town with not much to see or do. We did not at all mind this: we came here to relax. The beach is nice and immediately accessible from the back porch of El Pulpo, there are hammocks to lounge on, and there are a few restaurants that are enjoyable enough. And of course the proprietor Carlos is a very nice, helpful, and laid-back fellow who was fun to talk to, and who was nice enough to drive us into Leon to catch a bus to Managua. In the mornings Carlos kept some coffee and bread/toaster in the kitchen area that we were free to use.

The state of our room itself was maybe a little too laid-back (there was a dirty towel, used soap, and the ceiling fan was falling apart). But we were comfortable enough and the general laid-back atmosphere was my cup of tea and in sync with the "hostel" in the name of the establishment.

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2015

If your demands are not in the "Waldorf Astoria" league, but rather in the "laid-back & heartwarm", then this is THE place to be. Literally 25 steps from the sea (depending on the tide, claro), with a nice, palm-covered lookout platform with hammocks, with spectacular views & sunsets, clean and comfortable rooms, with fans, and good bathrooms. The rooms are built on both sides of a covered common-area, open at the ends, so there's always a cooling breeze. Carlos make you feel at ease, whether you prefer info on whatever goes on around, or you just want to be out surfing, & reading a book after dark. For transport to/from El Pulpo, there are chicken-buses from Leon, but I noticed that Carlos made the 40 mins returntrip to Leon to pick up people, so call him about this. (Personally, I rented a car in Managua, but this is a rather stressy affair in Nica). All in all, for a calm & relaxing seaside stay: top-notch :-)

Date of stay: January 2015
1  Thank Mitscha
Reviewed December 31, 2014 via mobile

My stay with Carlos at El Pulpo was one of the best I've had in Nicaragua. The place is very clean, highly secure, and Carlos is an awesome host! Very accomodating with excellent English. I had planned to stay one day and ended up staying three, from what I understand this is common.

The place is located right on a very nice quiet beach. Very romantic! Swimming is excellent as well, I couldn't get enough. There is an elevated platform from which one can just lie in a hammock and enjoy the ocean or read a book.

This is an excellent quiet get away, not for the young drunk party animal types. Located close to Leon, 20 km.

La Pantera, Black cat, is my new best friend!

Date of stay: December 2014
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Ingrid R
Reviewed November 2, 2014

Our life at Carlos was fantastic. The world cup baseball games, the emergency drive to the hospital!. Our very sweet cook! All our snorkeling and long walks, our trip to little Corn, all was facilitated by Carlos. Thank you for the emergency trip to the hospital and the canes. see you soon

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank adorafedora
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The rooms are fairly basic here but they are clean with ensuite bathroom and showers with hot water. The owner Carlos was very helpful and friendly if you needed anything and the value here is great for the location. It is on a fantastic uncrowded beach where I went swimming several times. Coming back from the beach, there are 2 showers where you can rinse the sand off. There is free coffee in the morning and a restaurant across the street with great omelets. I also had a good chicken dinner there the one night. You might want to check with the restaurant ahead of time if you plan on eating there because their hours seem pretty flexible! The bus to Las Penitas stops in front of the door and costs around .20 cents and around .50 cents if going to Leon. Hostal El Pulpo is also a great place for meeting other travelers. I highly recommend it!

Date of stay: February 2014