See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed with a friend few days at pulpos and it was perfect. Really relaxed, the beach right in front of you and Carlos was super friendly. He helped us and we had a great time just hanging there, cooking, talking, swimming. The rooms were clean. The only bad thing were the bats you could hear. But it wasnt that disturbing. I really recommend this place!

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Jasmine b
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Carlos runs a wonderful place, he's very friendly and inviting, the place has a very relaxed atmosphere. Rooms have a.c., but during my stay in January, the ocean breeze and stationary fan were more than enough to keep me cool. As with a lot of beaches in Nicaragua, take care for the riptides when swimming they can be very strong. Meals can be a problem since there are only a few restaurants in Ponoloya, some good meals can be found in Penitas. It's a bit of a walk or take a taxi.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed with Carlos for ten days in March and it was wonderful. Carlos is a perfect host; it was like staying with a friend, in fact is staying with a friend. The location is beautiful and the accommodations are comfortable, home-like and clean. Carlos went out of his way to make us feel at home, and arranged trips for us to visit Leon and the mountains around Estali. I definitely plan to make a visit to Hostal El Pulpo part of my winter itinerary now that I am retired.

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jan W
Reviewed February 5, 2012

There is no worlds to describe this hostel, you must experience it!

The house is really nice, just next to a completely empy beach. The deck with hammocks is perfect to se the sunset and enoy the company of the host, Carlos and the other guests that feels like family really. Carlos is just an amazing person that makes you feel like home, more of a friend on a visit in his house then a guest.

This place is just perfect to relax, and with such a familiar atmophere it doesnt even get booring! I am sorry I only stayed one night, and will for sure come back if I get the opportunity.

Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Madeleine K
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My husband and I rented a house on the beach in Poneloya for the month of December, but we actually ended up spending the majority of our time at Hostal El Pulpo. We met Carlos just a few days after we arrived in Poneloya and he instantly made us feel welcome. At Hostal El Pulpo you will be treated more like a friend than a guest.

My favourite feature of Hostal El Pulpo is the private rancho overlooking the ocean. My husband and I spent many days and evenings there relaxing in the hammocks enjoying the warm ocean breezes and beautiful sunsets. We also experienced our first moonset!

The beach in front of Hostal El Pulpo is quiet and clean with great waves to play around in. If surfing in the waves is not your thing you can walk 5 minutes up the road where the river meets the ocean. It's a great place to swim, enjoy a cold beverage and check out what the locals are up to. El Pulpo is very close to many restaurants, bars and convenience stores so whether you want to enjoy a nice meal or just grab some snacks and drinks you'll be good to go.

If you're looking for an affordable, clean, comfortable, relaxing, safe and secure place to stay in the Poneloya/Las Penitas area Hostal El Pulpo is it!

For more information you can go to check out El Pulpo's website at http://hostalelpulpo.com.

Date of stay: December 2011