“Bit overpriced”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Poneloya
Surfing Turtle Lodge
Bristol
“Bit overpriced”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Amazing location with good surf. Staff were really helpful and friendly too. Food isn't very good and is expensive. We waited 2 hours for a meal one evening. Good facilities but again, perhaps not worth the amount you pay. We stayed in the private cabina and paid $50 a night. When we turned on the fan the light flashed every 20 seconds so at night it was like being at a rave. Fun place to party if that's what your looking for. But if you just want to chill out at night it might not be the place for you. Music did go on quite late. Make sure you take plenty of cash!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Loved it. Sun,beach, surfing. The only hostel on the island. The crowd of volunteers are really sound and organised great game of flipcup for everyone. If ur not into staying up it might be a bit loud depending who's guesting at the time. Overall attitude 'whatever u guys want'

• Stayed July 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 24, 2013

What a beautiful place. After a bus, boat and walk down the beach, we arrived at the stunning lodge and discovered the chilled atmosphere, friendly staff and guests, cheap drinks, and we wanted to stay forever. The view of the beach from the dorm is the nicest thing to wake up to. There is nothing to do here except chill- a long walk on the beach, a swim in the sea, a massage, a game of volleyball, and really good food. Can't recommend this place enough! Bring a torch because the electricity gets turned off at night and it's pitch dark!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Lorn, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I came here on a friends recommendation & loved it - it was just what I needed after a 2 day gruelling volcano hike! My first day there, I had the beach to myself & it was beautiful :) the next day more people arrived & we had a bit more of a party atmosphere but I could still sleep ok when I eventually made it to bed. The free breakie included was really good, I got to try 3 different options out & all were very filling! If they had a guest kitchen, it would make this place perfect as some of the food is quite expensive & the option to cook your own food would be amazeballs!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed the bus, boat & horse & cart ride out there.
I had fun playing volleyball & winning a free drink. And the beach & location is very good. Had a brilliant thunder & lightening show that night.

Then I made the mistake of going to bed. I payed $12 for a bed in a 8 bunk dorm (which is only a couple $'s more than I've payed in other equally beautiful beach hostels on my trip). The wooden slats ran lengthways with a thin mattress so had to find a groove to curl into.
Each bed needs a mosquito net, I was eaten alive that night because its hard for 16 people to keep the door closed.
My bad, I didn't realise it was a party hostel because I followed my friend, so I was kept awake until 3am from loud music & talking, and then from the couple in the so-called private room that's sectioned off from the dorm having sex.

However the volunteer staff at that time were excellent & friendly (not sure where they were while the partying was happening though). My friends food looked good, I brought my own in which they kindly turned a blind eye & even put in the fridge for me.

I was glad I was only staying for one night

• Stayed June 2013
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Surfing Turtle Lodge... where to begin! We had no idea about this epic little spot so were blown away to arrive to a beautiful secluded beach with nothing else in sight and a super chilled vibe. Very easy/cheap to get to as well if you organise through Big Foot Hostel (Leon), only a two dollar shuttle ride each way.

Originally planning on just heading there for a day trip, we quickly extended our stay for 3 nights and could have stayed a week! With the beauty of it aside, the lodge provides everything that you could want or need for accommodation on the beach.

Surfing, afternoon beach volleyball tournaments, shaded gazebos, beach soccer, an awesome menu, sunset drinks, private cabanas or clean dorms, hammocks for chilling in, cheap 2 for one drinks... we were in heaven.

Managed and staffed by awesome friendly people, it was hard when we had to finally leave this little slice of heaven. It really does offer a perfect mix of chilling or partying depending on what your in to. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to anyone who's heading in the vicinity of Leon to stay at the lodge, i can almost promise you will not regret it!

A major highlight of my trip through central america after travelling for several months, i miss the place already!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just got back from a 2 night stay in the Surfing Turtle lodge! It was AMAZING! Absolutely fantastic setting, when you look out the window its like looking at a "wish you were here" postcard!! Lovely staff, nice food, excellent location and very reasonable! Only traveler tip I'll give is bring a torch! This place runs on solar power and it usually runs out in the night!! Definitely worth a visit! Will go back for sure! Thanks guys!

Room Tip: We used the beach huts which were so nice!