Chuparosa Inn Bed and Breakfast
BestWestern.com
$87
$77
HIExpress.com
Santa Rita Lodge(Madera Canyon)
TripAdvisor
All reviewshiking trailselegant trogongreen valleyamazing birdsbreakfast was deliciousshort hikeplace to stayfire pitlocation is excellentfull kitchenenjoyed our staybirdersfeedershostscanyonsuiteproperty
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My wife and I spent 3 nights in this idyllic spot. The Chuparosa sits alongside a mountain stream high up in Madera Canyon. All rooms have private entrances and generous outdoor space, so this is more an inn than a B&B. The accommodating owner/host is a treasure trove of information. The main trail up the canyon is close by and provides foot access to multiple side trails heading up into the mountains. The lush plantings and numerous feeders attract literally scores of hummingbirds at every moment of the day. It is possible to sit on one of the many terraces and watch all species passing through the canyon.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hummingbird Suite, which has a private patio overlooking several feeders. The other rooms open onto common terrace areas, and thus are a bit less private, though with only 4 room/suites, there is hardly a crowd!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Thank you Nancy & Luis for a great stay at your B&B. I was in the birdnest room. Everything decorated in the room with birds: pictures, bedspread...even down to the knobs on the kitchen cabinets. Quite lovely. The queen bed is one of the most comfortable I have slept in. Slept very sound.

Luis & Nancy are very hospitable and gave me tips on other places of interest in S AZ, including camping spots, restaurants and spanish missions.

One tip for fellow travelers: I came in late at night and missed the last turn to Madera Canyon. Luckily, Nancy guided me in. Be sure to turn at the stop sign off the highway. You turn near a shopping strip. Once you turn you'll see 3-4 signs for the Chuparosa, can't miss it from there.

Price is very reasonable for all you get. Rooms are $150-$200/night. I will be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank tim m
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed at the Chuparosa Inn on the Valentine's Day weekend, while attending the Gem and Mineral Show in Tuscon. We wanted to stay at a secluded and beautiful B & B for a romantic stay, and the Chuparosa Inn was just what we had been looking for. The Inn is charming, and the setting in the woods of Madera Canyon is so enchanting. It was very peaceful and tranquil, and enjoying the evening sitting by the fire pit was a wonderful way to relax from the crowds at the show in Tuscon. The breakfast was tasty and we enjoyed walking the grounds around the Inn, before leaving for the day's activities. We would definitely plan to return sometime in the future. It was a delightful stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David H
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We chose Chuparosa to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary and couldn't have been more pleased. We loved the area and the facility there was very unique as well as comfortable. It was nice to have your own entrance to your private room and the breakfast we were able to eat in our room was delicious. We had a chance to visit with the owner and he was very friendly as well as very helpful with his information that added to our stay. We definitely look forward to our next visit. Ed and Jackie Simpson

Room Tip: Only been there the 1 time so........
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ed S
thenannygoat, Owner at Chuparosa Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Jackie & Ed, we are always happy to host couples that choose to celebrate a very special occasion at the Chuparosa. It is our pleasure to provide a comfortable, well-appointed room that offers guests the privacy they need to share special times with each other. A delicious breakfast enjoyed in your room and on your schedule is one of many simple pleasures you find when staying with us in Madera Canyon. As you could see, I liked your hospitality and wanted the two of you to have a memorable stay on your 40th Wedding Anniversary. We too, look forward to your next visit. Nancy & Luis

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was up in madera canyon this morning and wanted to take a look at the inn and possibly book a date for later this year. I have stayed down the road at the kubos and loved my stay there but its a bit rustic for my wife's taste. I wanted to see what the chuparosa property looked like, possibly see a room and get a feel for the hospitality there. So I parked up the hill at the public lot and walked back down to the inn. I stood and the road and smiled and waved to the woman and dog standing at the window looking at me. I motioned if it was ok to approach. She opened the window and I quietly said hello asked if it was ok to come up the property. She said no. Then as I started to walk away she said "what do you want?" I said I wanted to see about staying here. She then scoldingly told me "I'm on the phone you know! Take a card, they're right there." I said nevermind and walked back up to my car. The trip wasn't a complete waste as I did find a rufous capped warbler in Florida canyon!

Listen, i know you are smack dab in world class birding territory and you have a fancy place but are you still not in the hospitality business? Think I'll take the daddy long legs at the kubos. Sorry, chuparosa. You lost my business.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank ron t
chupar0sainn, Owner at Chuparosa Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond to your review. The Chuparosa is our home. We live upstairs full time and love to host guests in the four private suites on the bottom floor. We strive to provide a private, peaceful and relaxing retreat for our guests. Living in a national forest we understand many people would like to come on our property to
take a tour but we also have an obligation to provide our guests with a private experience. The morning you were walking by our facility we had guests that were relaxing in their rooms and having breakfast on their private patios. We had the gates closed, the driveway blocked so people could not pull in, the guests only signs up, and a private residence sign across the steps leading upstairs. We do this as people will come on property and enter guest rooms and will walk up into our private home. I was alerted by my dogs that something was going on outside. I came into our private dining room upstairs (I was in the middle of a call that was urgent so I was somewhat distracted). I opened the window and you asked me if you could come upstairs. I said no. Generally I would have said more but as you could see I was on the phone (and still in my robe as I was recovering from an illness). At that point you immediately got so angry waving your arms and saying some things I can't repeat here. Your reaction was so extreme that it was alarming to me and others. We work with the local birding community so that birders can visit our feeders regularly. I am sorry for your experience. I am happy you got to see a target bird. I just hope you didn't yell to scare it out of its nest.