“Don't go anywhere else.”
Review of Booby Trap

Booby Trap
Cuisines: Southwestern, Seafood, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open air restaurant with ocean view. Note: we're across the street from the Casa Rosada on the road to the tortoise breeding center near the Iguana Crossing.
Reviewed July 25, 2016

Friendly service. Home made dishes. We were only here two nights and were recommended to go there. Ended up going two nights. Jim and Marlene go out of their way to make you welcome. First night ordered their lovely burgers. Next to us there was a large party and they were having dessert which smelt gorgeous. Home made brownies. Second night we had a large salad followed by fish and vegetables. No room for dessert. Prices are very reasonable.
Both nights Jim was genuinely interested in finding out about our travels and interests. We enjoy photographing birds for a hobby and he lent us a book on local birds.
Beautiful location right across the road from the beach.
Thanks again for your hospitality Jim And Marlene.

james h, Owner at Booby Trap, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2016

I don't know how I missed seeing your review until today. You two are probably still going strong in your travels and probably haven't even checked to see if I responded to your review. But anyway, thank you for such a lovely review. It was fun talking to you about the birds you saw here and the ones you've seen all over the world! And, loaning you a book was my pleasure! Thanks again and happy birding!

Reviewed July 23, 2016

A two-minute walk from the main square, you will find the restaurant you have been hoping exists on Isla Isabela. Run by a fantastic Ecuadorian/US-American couple, the Booby Trap offers a charming ambience with excellent cuisine prepared by Jim and Marlene, who will welcome you into their hearts and into their kitchen. We came to the Booby Trap twice a day during our stay, it was that good. We felt welcomed on their beautiful lava-rock terrace, and refreshed while the light breeze from the ocean cooled us. Jim and Marlene shared their knowledge about the islands, cuisine, travel and the world, as we scoured the menu for the next delight to try. From Jim's carefully-prepared gorgeous banana split, to Marlene's salad with the to-die-for secret sauce, to the perfect serving of fish, to the banana cake I yearn to eat again, the food is robustly flavourful, copious in amount, and served in simple, classy sophistication.

As a traveler, I always hope to speak with people about where they live, what they do and where they have been. Jim and Marlene were genuinely kind, and eager to share their bountiful life experience.

They also have a small gift shop, with fun and tasteful mementos! Thanks very much for the hospitality, Jim and Marlene! Maya and Dirk

1  Thank Hansebabe
james h, Owner at Booby Trap, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2016

I've said it before, but I can't help saying it again, what a lovely review! You've caught the essence of what we are trying to do here. We always try to provide a surprisingly good experience of great food and excellent service in a relaxed atmosphere. And we truely love to meet nice people from all over the world and share our island with them. The nicest compliment you can give us is to come again. So, thank you.

Reviewed July 22, 2016 via mobile

You have to book in advance for their full dinner menu. We just turned up and had reasonable burgers (in sliced bread, no buns) and the minced meat in tortilla. The beer was cold and the welcome warm (right way round).

james h, Owner at Booby Trap, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2016

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. The dinners do require a reservation and it's not about space so much as the preparation time. It works so well when we have a half day's notice. I have the salad made just before you arrive and Marlene cooks your fish while you enjoy the salad. But, we try to accommodate travelers whenever we can, if not with a full meal, at least a tasty sandwich, fish taco, or enchilada off the lunch menu. As you say, at least we got the cold beer and warm welcome right! :) Thank you.

Reviewed July 19, 2016

If you are looking for a great place to relax and catch a bite to eat, Booby Trap should be at the top of your list. I was recommended to this cafe by a fellow traveler, and Booby Trap exceeded all of my expectations. I had a smoothie (dairy free) and brownie during my visit; these were two of my favorite cafe items I purchased during my month long stay in Ecuador & the Galapagos. I also tried the fish tacos and chicken enchilada, both of which were delicious as well. The prices are very reasonable in comparison to the other restaurants on the islands; island prices in general are ALL going to be more expensive than the mainland. Jim (the owner) is great for conversation as well, and he is more than willing to answer any questions you have about the island and to offer any recommendations about other places to visit during your stay. One of my favorite parts about the restaurant is the location. It is off the beaten track, so the cafe is a cool and quiet place to sit and enjoy a meal or beverage in the morning/afternoon. I would recommend Booby Trap to anyone looking for a place to eat and relax during their stay in Isabella.

james h, Owner at Booby Trap, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2016

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. You touched on many points......from drinks to desserts, food, and ambiente. Thank you for the kind words and I hope you're sending some more "fellow travelers" to enjoy the sea breeze, shade, and good eats!

Reviewed July 18, 2016 via mobile

As a group of 4 we were looking for some decent food and found this place on trip advisor. The owner is an American guy and provided excellent service. I had the burger which was very good but the fajitas were great. The breakfast was also outstanding and they gave us extra pancakes. The only down side is I asked for strawberry milkshake but got chocolate. Over all I highly recommend this place!

1  Thank LoganHK
james h, Owner at Booby Trap, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2016

Glad to hear you enjoyed the food! We of course do work very hard to make that happen. Of course we're not perfect, re the milkshake. I've been known to forget from table to kitchen. Thanks for writing a lovely review. Cheers!