“Home Away From Home”
Review of Booby Trap

Booby Trap
Cuisines: Southwestern, Seafood, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Open air restaurant with ocean view. Note: we're across the street from the Casa Rosada on the road to the tortoise breeding center near the Iguana Crossing.
Charleston, South Carolina
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The Booby Trap was like our home away from home during our one week stay in Pto Vilamil. The only differnce is that Jim, the owner, is a much better cook than my mother. The owner Jim was the 17th guide of the Galapagos. He married an Ecuardorian. Together, they have opened the Booby Trap as they retire. During our time here, Jim has been invaluable in offering insight Into the local area and welcoming us to the Booby Trap.

Most often, we ate lunch in the shade of the outdoor terrace during the peak hours of the day while surfing the free internet, drinking a beer, and enjoying the ocean breeze. Everything we ate was delicious from chicken enchiladas, burgers, chicken sandwiches, soups, and the breakfast pancakes... A fresh dessert is prepared daily. My favorite was the brownie a la mode, however the banana cake with raisins and walnuts was a close second.

One thing to note: the menu regularly changes depending on what is available and while supplies last (part of the island culture). Everything is made to order. So be patient and enjoy the time. Reservations are available if needed.

• Visited April 2014
james h, Owner at Booby Trap, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Wow. What a nice review. Thank you. If I was your oasis, then you guys were a prince and princess who came to visit. I absolutely enjoyed talking to you! What a kind and generous couple! I miss you guys already. It's funny how you can get to know someone in just a few days. I look forward to seeing you both sometime in the future!

Miami, Florida
“Finest fish taco's”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

My wife and I had one of the most adventurous trips ever to Galapagos this March. During some down time, we came across Booby Trap that offered a very chill, relaxed and open air environment.

Jim, the owner, was there - greeting us, alongside a nice chat, a solid cup of coffee and cappuccino and one of the best fish taco's we've ever had. Coming from Miami, Fl, this is hard to match, but did so quite nicely. The more unique thing was the catch being amberjack...prepared just right accompanied with avocado and a nice/mild dressing. We didn't try any other menu items, but I'm sure the taco was a good example of the rest of the menu that had some great sounding seafood dishes...Def recommend for those planning a hop to Isabela Island in Galapagos!

• Visited March 2014
james h, Owner at Booby Trap, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for taking your personal time to write a review. You're most kind. I knew from your questions right away that you knew your fish! Glad we could pleasantly surprise you! Thanks again.
Merida, Mexico
“the host with the most!!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

i work in tourism in Patagonia so i know the value of good service and welcoming atmosphere
THE BOOBIE TRAP has both!! the owner jim is one of the original galapagos guides and is a wealth of info and entertaining stories about the islands...not to mention he make a mean cup of coffee, tastey treats and fantastic natural fruit juices!! his wife marlene is an aweome cook and the two of them make you feel right at home! great location on the beach...started everyone one of my 8 days on the island with a cup of coffee and great conversation!!
besides being a great place to cool down with a smoothie and all natural food...jim helped my plan my day´s fun on the lovely island of santa Isabela!!

thanks again jim & Marlene...hope to be back soon for more stories and coffee!!!

• Visited February 2014
james h, Owner at Booby Trap, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
I've been waiting for you to write a review! Thanks for the kind words! And right back at you. I can't remember having more fun. It was great talking to you about your experiences as well. I certainly want to thank you for taking the paperwork to Santa Cruz with you, too. It was fun making up things to eat and drink and just talking about life in general. I'm guessing you must be home since you were unplugged while traveling. Say hello to your better half AND bring her to Galapagos! I hope to see you both soon! Maybe next year!
“Bueno”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

The place is a verygood. The people very
Frendly im dln like is altemperature de clime my like the animal natibs

james h, Owner at Booby Trap, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Well, Andy, thank you for making us your first review. Welcome to the Trip Advisor family! However, I'm not sure I understand what it was that you didn't like. I'll try to email you and find out. Thank for taking the time to review us!
San Francisco, California
“Great Food/Service”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stopped in before we headed back to Santa Cruz Island and wished we had eaten here for dinner. The lunch was great, soup and chicken enchiladas, but I would've liked to try more. Jim, the owner is very friendly and we spent some time after our meal talking to him.
Great location and the eating area has a nice breeze blowing through while you eat. Overall great dining experience and good spot for english speakers to stop by.

• Visited March 2014
james h, Owner at Booby Trap, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Well, I'm certainly glad you found us before you left! Tell other travelers so they stop in early in their stay here on Isabela. And, tell them to bring cash as there's still no atm here.
Thank you for the quick review! I know that everyone who writes about the Booby Trap is taking some of their precious personal time to write, and it's appreciated! Have safe travels!