6-Day Galapagos Island Hopping Tour: Santa Fe, Santa Cruz and Los Tuneles

Check availabilityView full product details

Google
Ways to Experience Los Tuneles
1,411 results
All reviews sea horses blue footed boobies fish boat ride manta rays lava formations white tip sharks day trip huge turtles clear water sandwich kicker rock snorkeling experience great trip octopus tour agency low tide
Selected filters
Reviewed October 24, 2017

We purchased our day trip in town. The price was originally $120 but was bargained down to $95. This came with snorkling equipment and wet suit. They feed us a boxed lunch during the trip. There were 10 of us that were on this tour. We travelled by boat along the coast . We stopped by a few swimming Manta rays along the way. The Guide spoken great English. We stopped by an island to see some Boobies, and a resting Sea Lion. Then we went another 10 min to Los Tuneles. This is a beautiful place were crystal waters flow around lava rock tunnel. Sea turtles and fish swim here. Many nice pictures here. Our guide took us to see blue footed boobies. This was very cool. Then we went to go snorkling . We went near the shore, about 5 ft deep. We saw and swam with lots of white tip sharks, sea turtles, sea horses, eagle rays, sting rays, and many fish, sea snake and sea lions. This was very cool. We came within a few feet from the animals. After about an hr in the water we ate lunch and came back to port. Total trip was maybe 5 hrs. This was a great trip.

3  Thank Radmanjohn
Reviewed October 18, 2017

I traveled to the Galagos on a budget and had to combine tour days with DIY days, so I had to think about the tours I would take. As far as snorkeling is concerned, I heard that Kicker Rock on San Cristobal and Los Tuneles on Isabela are the highlights. In the end I did both and for me Los Tuneles could not even compare to Kicker Rock. While Los Tuneles seemed rushed and almost like visiting the zoo (the guide knew exactly where the sharks and sea lions where and we each had less than a minute to one by one take a look at them), Kicker Rock was more about exploration on your own... of course you have to stick with the guide, but regardless of which direction you look in, there will be heaps of fish and it will be more enjoyable to "discover" them yourself.
In Los Tuneles I actually expected to snorkel through the lava tunnels, but in reality you make a stop at the tunnels, get out of the boat for a while just to take photos and then get back on the boat to go to a snorkeling site that (unlike the scenery at Kicker Rock) isn´t impressive itself. When you choose a company, ask if there are two snorkeling sites. We just had one site (I went with Tropical Adventures), but later my local friend told me that usually there are two sites and it makes a difference in your overall experience. We only got to snorkel for about an hour, which didn´t seem like enough considering the money we paid.

2  Thank Kristy-jan
Reviewed October 13, 2017

This is an expensive half-day snorkeling tour, but is one of the 'must-do' things if you're staying on or visiting Isla Isabela. It cost us US$105 per person, but I'm sure you could get it for a little less if your bartering/Spanish skills are better than ours. It's also cheaper if you don't choose to rent a wetsuit from the tour agency (however, in October, I would certainly recommend the wetsuit - the water is pretty chilly). We heard a few people saying that they paid $140 each for the tour which is a huge rip-off.

We saw sea turtles, reef sharks, blue-footed boobies, the infamous seahorses and various other marine life. The water visibility wasn't that great - especially given that you're swimming in pretty shallow places and if you're in a group of people, other peoples' swimming will be churning up a lot of debris in the water. We did the morning tour because apparently that is when the visibility is the best - I would have been pretty disappointed if we had done the afternoon tour and it was even worse; you would hardly be able to see anything.

You really only spend about 30-40 minutes snorkeling. The rest of the tour is spent walking over some of the volcanic arches to see the blue-footed boobies nesting, and on the boat in transit to/from Puerto Villamil.

We did the Kicker Rock snorkeling tour from Isla San Cristobal which was way better than Los Tuneles (in our opinion) for the same price. We also thought that the snorkeling at Concha de Perla (which you can walk to from Puerto Villamil and is free) was about as good as Los Tuneles.

At the end of the day, it's luck of the draw in terms of what wildlife you'll see on any of the Galapagos tours. If you're on Isabela, this is one of better water-based activities to do, but barter hard and see if you can get it for a more reasonable price.

2  Thank MBtlr
Reviewed October 10, 2017

100% recommended. Great snorkel experience with friendly sharks, turtles, sea horses and other critters. Also the place is unreal with lava formations everywhere. Tidal pools with sharks, rays and turtles swimming about.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed September 21, 2017 via mobile

I have watched YouTube video about this marine lava tunnel which showed the best marine life you can all find in one place. However, I was worried because I am not a good swimmer, so I thought I would have to stay on the boat and watched from aboard only.
You must find a good naturalist guide like Juancarlos, whom we joined his boat through Guiding Galapagos. He singlehandedly dived down the lava tunnels and herded the white-tipped sharks into the mangroves where he told us to hide. I was wearing a light life jacket, so I could snorkel with the sharks. Next we were swimming with at least 3-4 giant sea turtles and I couldn't resist to touch one of them. It was such a magical experience that would last for my lifetime! He even found a 1-feet seahorse, looping its tail down under the mangrove. Regardless to say, there were innumerable kinds of tropical fishes in this tunnel. For a bad swimmer like me, I could view all these abundant marine life upclose, so please don't miss this magical place when you visit Isabella Island!

Date of experience: September 2017