We ended up at Iguana Crossing after a change in travel dates caused significant alterations to our plans. We always say things happen for a reason and we are so glad we got the chance to enjoy this beautiful hotel for two nights. We missed out on Ocean view rooms due to the hotel being booked solid and it broke my heart. I just knew I would be longing for an upgrade during our stay, I was wrong.
We were a group of three couples; we had rooms 5, 7 and 14. Rooms 5 and 7 were on the second floor and had king size beds; room 14 was on the first floor and had two double beds. Rooms 14 and 5 were corner rooms so had three large windows and nicer views than room 7. All three rooms were spotless and comfortable. It was pure heaven having air conditioning as it is very hot and humid on Isabela in April. The dining room where you have breakfast and dinner is also air conditioned which we loved.
The hotel has so many places from which to enjoy the ocean views that we did not miss having an ocean view room. The roof top bar area is a beautiful place to watch the sunset and have a cocktail before dinner. We had the whole roof top to ourselves the first night. The second night a family member of the owners had booked the place to celebrate a 50th birthday. In order to not make other guests feel excluded, all were invited to join the festivities. During the afternoon preparations, we were given tastings of the appetizers that would be served at the party. Even though all were delicious, we opted to stick with the dining room for diner and let the party goers have their fun. Dinner was delicious both nights with many options to choose from. We discovered there are two menus, one for visitors who are not guests, which list items a la carte with prices, and one for those who have the room and meal rate. The visitor menu lists several desert choices for an extra fee, we decided they sounded too good to pass up so ordered several to go with the standard offering of the night. It was well worth the splurge.
Laundry here was the cheapest by far charging only $1 an item. We turned in our items in the morning before our excursions and all was ready by time we returned late afternoon.
Yes, the iguanas do cross in front of the hotel every day, photo of their crossing included as part of this review. If you have a volcano view room, you will also see them swimming in the lagoon behind the hotel.
Excursions are plentiful and adventures we had while here were Sierra Negro hike (go the extra distance to Volcan Chico!), the Wall of Tears, Tortoise Breeding Center, flamingo pond, mountain biking (we biked back to the hotel after the Sierra Negro hike , a visit to unique Tintoreras, and snorkeling with reef sharks. One thing we did not do that we wished we had was a visit to Los Tuneles, the pictures we saw of this place looked amazing.
We loved our stay at Iguana Crossing. It was the perfect finale to our Galapagos Islands adventure. The only thing we would have done differently is stayed longer. Do not worry if you are not able to score an Ocean View room, you will still have an amazing time and many opportunities to soak up the sounds of the waves from the pool deck, lounge or roof top bar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Iguana Crossing is Isabela's newest and most innovative hotel. Its minimalist design and superior service offer guests a privileged experience on this scarcely populated island. Iguana Crossing is located in between Isabela's extensive white sand beaches and directly behind a wildlife-filled lagoon. Iguana Crossing offers an oceanfront swimming pool, Jacuzzi, 12 fully equipped rooms and a master suite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Iguana Crossing reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iguana Crossing Hotel Puerto Villamil
- Iguana Crossing Galapagos Islands/Isabela, Ecuador