“Cannot recommend this place”
Review of Bamboo Bungalows

Bamboo Bungalows
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have read previous reviews of this place and am really surprised at the positive comments. I can't imagine how anyone could find this place good value.

We arrived on Dec 2nd and took a motorbike taxi (70b) directly to the Bamboo. We did so because we had read positive comments on Trip Advisor, and also because a local friend of mine suggested it was a good place to start looking for accommodation seeing as it is situated right in the middle of Ao Yai Beach.

I was immediately impressed with the lovely gardens (I realized later that while lovely, you are paying for this in a big way). We were shown an original bamboo bungalow, located at the back of the property for 450B. Then shown the same original bamboo bungalow closer to the beach for 650 baht. 2 of these bungalows were directly on the beach but these were both taken. The bungalow we ended up taking was behind the beach front ones (650B).

I later discovered that nowhere on the website were these bungalows priced at 650Baht. The original bungalows are supposed to cost 450B. Quite frankly they were a serious rip-off at 650. No one showed us the 650Baht Shell Bungalows (which were situated right beside ours), which were fully enclosed (less chance of animals),larger, new and really quite nice. The shell bungalows also had an outside light and each one had a hammock hanging on the large porch. When I asked the manager the next morning about what the shell bungalows were like, she said, "same same". They were not same, same as our neighbours ended up showing us theirs.

We found out that evening that our room came equipped with one single very dim light bulb hanging inside, no light outside. No light in the washroom either. I realize some people love staying in simple bamboo huts but charging 650 Baht for this was ridiculous. In fact, in 6.5 years of living in Asia, I have never felt so ripped off with accommodation.

The staff were unfriendly and not helpful, they seemed irritated every time you asked them anything. And they displayed no customer service to anyone that we could see. When they couldn't get the modem to work, my husband (who works in the field) suggested something and the very unpleasant manager argued with him. In the end, she did what he suggested and fixed the problem. In addition they now change the internet password every day. You have to wait around at 6 pm for the manager to enter the password into your computer. She will not give you the password because she thinks you will give it to outsiders. This is no joke ! What kind of paranoid is this ?

I should mention the restaurant. Very few people were eating at the restaurant and after one look at the menu, I could see why. I can't speak to the quality of food, but their prices were double anywhere else. I met someone who had a tuna sandwich with chips and a drink for 250B! I pay 50-70Baht for a tuna sandwich.

We moved the next morning (check out was at 10 am, rather early compared to other places), to Coconut a few doors down, and got a nicer bungalow with 3 lights for 250 Baht ! Very friendly family running the place and a reasonably priced menu too.

I can understand how some Westerners who perhaps haven't spent anytime in Thailand or on any other islands might think the prices were good (compared to what they would pay back home) but this is Thailand and believe me, you can get a lot more for a lot less, from people who are happy to have you !

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank dalmdal

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I staged in a "Shell Hut" bungalow with a fan. Good sized bungalow with a big bed.
Electricity was on in the morning and evening. Internet worked fine during these time and mobile network was also OK.
It is an island and a hotel for relax and take it easy. Nothing happens and nothing is supposed to happen :-)
Still possible to walk the beach and eat at different hotels / bars if you are tired of the hotels food.
Nice beach and only 25 meters away from the bungalow

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Located on long beach. Probably the nicest accommodation on the island. I stay here whenever I travel to this island. During offseason the rate is extremely affordable for what you get. You can get a junior suite for 400-500 baht and is normally 1500baht during high season. Clean, safe, and great atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nancer1201
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Great value. Booked through their website the day before and got a sparkling clean villa bungalow for 500 baht between 3 of us. 1 double bed, 1 single with fan and ensuite which has an uncovered shower which was nice. Option on beach front for an extra charge but we were happy with one in their lovely gardens. Decking area came with table,chairs and a hammock.
Beach is beautiful with great waves for surfing or boogie boarding and kayaking. Great fun. There was a bit of debris on the beach but it was due to a storm the previous week.
Yes, the food is only so so on a small menu and yes the staff haven't got perfect English but I think some of the previous comments are unfair. This place is beautiful.
They had some wind and sand shields up around the restaurant and accommodation which was a little unfortunate but this was down to it being the off season.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Eoghan F
Reviewed July 17, 2013

the bungalows and the resort are perfect to spend some lean-back time at the sea. even it was off-season the staff took good care of us.
the bungalows are very clean and for the price you get more than elsewhere.
i forgot my mobile phone there and the owner even took it to bangkok anf gave it to me there :)
definitly will go back there !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed five nights in an M hut. The huts were beautiful, impeccably clean. Staff were really friendly. there are kayaks free for use, body boards and snorkels as well. Surf boards can be hired for not very much. Right on the most beautiful beach with gorgeous sunsets. There was a very family friendly feel to the place. Next door is an amazing fish restaurant. The food at Bamboo bungalows was also really good.
The island is amazing to explore either on foot or by bike.
We had a lovely stay and would definitely come back to bamboo bungalows

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We, a couple have had a really good time on the beautiful beach and in our nice Bamboo Thai Bungalow.
The clean food in Bamboo Bungalows is prepared delicious from very nice ladies. And also the lovely waitress and waiters will do more than a lot to make you fell very comfortable and happy!
With the owner we have had nice chats sometimes. For me it has been the right combination between feeling welcome and having privacy!
Thank you and see you again!
Chris + Maria