Frog Beach House
Agoda.com
Great 4.5/5
PP Land Beach(Ko Phayam)
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
Grand Andaman(Thahtay Kyun Island)
  • Pool
Garden Hotel(Kawthoung)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Very Good 4/5
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 30, 2013

If I was rating this place on facilities I'd be hard pushed to give it 2 stars. However, for everything else I would give it 5 so let me briefly outline the pros and cons.
The negatives are that you don't get any hot water and cold showers really aren't my thing, no matter how warm it is outside. Despite the claim of "24 hour electricity" you only have 4 hours of electricity per day (from 6pm until 10pm) which effectively means using that time to charge your phone/camera whatever. I don't think the power is sufficient there to power anything like a hairdryer or kettle. There is a small fan in the bungalows (although it's not really that effective) a light inside the room and a light on the outside bathroom - all of which do work 24 hours a day. If you have all on at once they don't work effectively though (so if you want to see what you are doing if you're having a cold shower when its dark, you really need to turn the fan off inside the bungalow).

So, onto the the positives. I would say Koh Payam is one of my favourite places I've been to in Thailand (and I've been around the country quite a lot). The bungalows (and property of Frog Beach House in general) are very clean compared to most of the places I saw in Koh Payam. The location is beautiful (if you like big deserted beaches), the staff seemed pretty friendly. I personally thought the food in the restaurant there was fantastic - maybe marginally more expensive than some of the other places on the island but every meal I had there (and I had many) was delicious - as good as anywhere else I've had in Thailand.
There's a really cool reggae bar next to Frog Beach House.
I would happily spend a lot longer on Koh Payam - but I can guarantee that the island won't be suited to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobbieA
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Really bad experience. I do not recommand this place. I m used to travel in the region, and i was really dispointed. First the rooms were ok, but not clean at all (dirty sheets, dirty bathroom floor, no plug in the room). The ladyowner was really unfriendly, and rude. The food was really expensive for the island. You can find much better place in the island.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank bubamar
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed 6 nights at Frog Beach House to do a Diving Course. Only the cheapest bungalows were still available, which was fine as we were not going to stay much in the room.

The place is very nice, very well located on the beach and when arriving, we just wanted to relax and enjoy your time with no stress.

So we stayed happy and positive despite some unpleasent surprises on arrival. Even when paying 400baths a night, we can expect to have minimum service:
- Not sheets with big blood stains on them
- Toilet paper in the bathroom (it is only provided to the most expensive bungalows. We had to buy ours from the shop)
- The outside bathroom at least cleaned before our arrival (we were in the jungle, so it was filled with leaves).
- A plug in the room to avoid having to walk all the way to reception to charge an alarm clock/phone when the electricity comes on. (the cheap bungalows are very far from the beach/reception)

6 days and we never complained about all this .... because we just wanted to enjoy and just see the good sides of Frog Beach House..

But when the owner literally kicks you out of her restaurant on the last day, saying that you are a "liar and a thief" because you accidentally packed up one of their towel, then you want to log on Trip Advisor and share your experience.

In all my travels, I have never been treated this way. She yelled at me, telling me I was stealing from her and that I had to get out of there. I am not exaggerating ... it was surreal! Reading other reviews, it's difficult to imagine how other travelers thought she was friendly. All through the week, we found her very unfriendly and also heard her being rude to other customers.

So one advice, even though the place can seem appealing, don't encourage such bad customer service, and find another place. As we heard, there are some great places on the island. Just don't pick Frog House.

Apart from that, the Island is great, the atmosphere really relaxing and it's definitely worth a visit! Frog House will be the only (very) dark part of my stay there...

Room Tip: If you want toilet paper ... don't choose the 300/400b bungalows! The owner doesn't think you deserve this "VIP" service...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CamilleBLV
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The bungalow 1000thb was good enough, although they told us the evening before they had only the more expensive free, there still was a cheaper one available. That was strange.
The food was really not so cheap and we got very good meals and drinks much cheaper at the Rastabar and little restaurant next to the Frog.
The ladyowner told us she could get tickets for the speedboat when we asked the soon we arrived.
We thought it was all arranged, but the evening before leaving I came to buy a drink at the restaurant, she told me there was no ticket available. So if I did not go there it would be even more a bad surprise in the morning we left. No good service and she did not even say goodbye when we left. First time we met such a unfriendly owner.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely loved this place, after a nightmare journey to the island this was just what I needed. Lovely rooms right on the beach not even the cold showers put a dampener on it, I actually got used to them after a bit seeing as they're outside its actually quite refreshing.
Great location right on the beach & crawling distance from a great little bar.
definitely recomend this place!

• Stayed: September 2013