“Could have been good with a friendly owner”
Review of Frog Beach House

Frog Beach House
Ranked #5 of 8 Ko Phayam B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed 6 nights at Frog Beach House to do a Diving Course. Only the cheapest bungalows were still available, which was fine as we were not going to stay much in the room.

The place is very nice, very well located on the beach and when arriving, we just wanted to relax and enjoy your time with no stress.

So we stayed happy and positive despite some unpleasent surprises on arrival. Even when paying 400baths a night, we can expect to have minimum service:
- Not sheets with big blood stains on them
- Toilet paper in the bathroom (it is only provided to the most expensive bungalows. We had to buy ours from the shop)
- The outside bathroom at least cleaned before our arrival (we were in the jungle, so it was filled with leaves).
- A plug in the room to avoid having to walk all the way to reception to charge an alarm clock/phone when the electricity comes on. (the cheap bungalows are very far from the beach/reception)

6 days and we never complained about all this .... because we just wanted to enjoy and just see the good sides of Frog Beach House..

But when the owner literally kicks you out of her restaurant on the last day, saying that you are a "liar and a thief" because you accidentally packed up one of their towel, then you want to log on Trip Advisor and share your experience.

In all my travels, I have never been treated this way. She yelled at me, telling me I was stealing from her and that I had to get out of there. I am not exaggerating ... it was surreal! Reading other reviews, it's difficult to imagine how other travelers thought she was friendly. All through the week, we found her very unfriendly and also heard her being rude to other customers.

So one advice, even though the place can seem appealing, don't encourage such bad customer service, and find another place. As we heard, there are some great places on the island. Just don't pick Frog House.

Apart from that, the Island is great, the atmosphere really relaxing and it's definitely worth a visit! Frog House will be the only (very) dark part of my stay there...

Room Tip: If you want toilet paper ... don't choose the 300/400b bungalows! The owner doesn't think yo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CamilleBLV

Reviewed December 10, 2013

The bungalow 1000thb was good enough, although they told us the evening before they had only the more expensive free, there still was a cheaper one available. That was strange.
The food was really not so cheap and we got very good meals and drinks much cheaper at the Rastabar and little restaurant next to the Frog.
The ladyowner told us she could get tickets for the speedboat when we asked the soon we arrived.
We thought it was all arranged, but the evening before leaving I came to buy a drink at the restaurant, she told me there was no ticket available. So if I did not go there it would be even more a bad surprise in the morning we left. No good service and she did not even say goodbye when we left. First time we met such a unfriendly owner.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely loved this place, after a nightmare journey to the island this was just what I needed. Lovely rooms right on the beach not even the cold showers put a dampener on it, I actually got used to them after a bit seeing as they're outside its actually quite refreshing.
Great location right on the beach & crawling distance from a great little bar.
definitely recomend this place!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I booked into thjis place at the Ranong pier and was staying in one of the cheap rooms... 250 baht a night with the offer of 200 a night if I stayed a week. The room was basic but fine for the price. My stay was made very special by the very charming sisters, Nok and Gop who run the place. They made me feel so welcome and Gop's cooking was really superb. I didn't find the food expensive as another reviewer has, it was comparable to other restaurants. The friendliness of the sisters created a cosy vibe amongst all the guests and I got to know a few who have now become friends. A great place to base yourself on Koh Phayam.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank DunaH_12
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I arrived by speed boat (45min.) to the Ko Phayam Pier. From there, we each hopped onto the back of each our own scooter taxi. Scooters and motorbikes are the main transportaion, as there are no vehicles on the island. The scooter taxi let us off at a sandy pathway that led to the hotel. Walking down the path we passed three or four older, run down cabins, which we sadly thought was our hotel, but we continued just a little bit further and suddenly we began to hear the Andaman Sea waves crashing ashore and the sight of the beautiful cabins of Frog Beach House became visible. Very welcoming!!

This place is perfect in every way. It is run by a very friendly Thai family who made us feel totally welcomed. The cabin was nice, no complaints. It was clean and the bed was soft and comfortable. There is a mosquito net over the bed, but it wasn't needed. The washroom is an open concept layout that made showering under the stars delightful.

There was electricity to the one outlet in our cabin only from 6pm to 11pm, so we had to make sure we charged all our camera batteries during this time. However, there was 24 hour electricity to the lights in the cabin. It was kind of nice when the hotel would turn the power off at night, because the stars while laying on the beach were absolutely stunning.

The hotel has to rent: 1 kayak(1 person), 2 bicycles and scooters.

One of the brothers has a guitar that if you ask, he will lend to you. But know that they will charm you into playing a song for them in return.

All in all, a great place to stay, it is near the end of Ao Yai beach so it is quieter and less busy than the other hotels we saw. There is a Rasta Bar Hotel next door, but the sound of the music can barely be heard from our cabin, so not a problem. The Thai cuisine at the hotel is amazing, but more expensive than what you would pay for in the small village. It is a 15 min. walk to the small village where there is a convenience store, restaurants, clothing stores and places offering massages.

We would definitely return and would recommend this place if you want good value and a quiet place to chill and see AMAZING sunsets!!!

Room Tip: All the cabins seemed similar and I doubt there are any bad ones. All are a few cartwheels to the b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julien L
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The bungalows don't face the beach and get very hot at night. They advertise 24hr fan but the fan is tiny and doesn't do much to cool you. The food in the restaurant was bland, very small portions, and very expensive. They said that was because they had to bring all supplies from off the island, but a quick walk down the beach looking at other restaurant menus showed that actually they were very overpriced. They don't allow you to bring your own alcohol to the restaurant even if you are ordering food which is very unusual for Thailand. We didn't feel welcome or comfortable so we moved to a much nicer place up the beach.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Rockabel
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Thanks Gop for your warm hospitality in the true Thai style. It was so nice to get off the backpacker trail and relax in the classic, clean and comfortable bungalows with their own bathrooms. The beachfront aspect of Frog Beach House is only a stone’s throw away from the clear ocean waters. The ferry ride from Ranong to Koh Phayam is amazing after passing through the fishing port with classic Chinese style fishing boats you will be treated to stunning views of Burma and the mountains along the Thai coast. Koh Phayam is a jewel in the Thai experience with secluded beaches and friendly locals. It was just what I needed to unwind and I was fortunate to see a hornbill on one of my walks. Truly the best hospitality in Thailand, thanks again. I wish to return.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends