“Accomodation a bit rustic for the price, food made up for it”
Review of Hornbill Hut

Hornbill Hut
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My Fiance and I stayed here for 6 days in mid December after combing the beach and not being able to find anything else. Holiday season here is fully booked and accommodations of any length are hard to come by. The staff were very helpful and friendly but the the best reason to visit is the food. This kitchen produces some of the best thai food I have ever had... and I have been to Thailand several times.

Items you must try:

1) Cashew Nut Chicken
2) Burmese Salad

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bhouta

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Hornbill Hut is one of the older resorts on Koh Phayam and the bungalows reflect it’s age, this is not a criticism our room was very pleasant, clean and spacious, set among many trees which gave good shade during the day and kept the room cool. There is a lovely platform by the beach where you can watch the sunset whilst enjoying a sundowner and watch he beach. Our only disappointment was the surprising hostility of the owners. After the first day they hardly spoke to us or raised a smile but were very hospitable to some of the other guests. I had an unpleasant experience where I tried to charge my phone at one of the pre-set times for using electricity communicated to me when I arrived. I plugged in my charger and the owner came across the restaurant and ripped my plug out of the wall without a word, when I told her I was charging my phone she shouted at me ‘6 O’Clock!!’. When we checked out early in the morning and paid our bill they couldn’t be bothered to come and unlock our bike, which they had locked up on the previous night. On reading some of the other TA reviews and witnessing guests the owners were amicable with during our stay we surmised that if you buy your water, breakfast, lunch and dinner in the resort the owners are pleasant and friendly towards you but if you want to explore the island and have food and drinks in other bars and restaurants you receive a very frosty reception. We chose to explore Koh Phayam visiting different bars and restaurants it is a beautiful island well worth the visit no big roads with trucks and cars just little concrete tracks for motorbikes and some outstanding beaches.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for 1 week and had a bamboo bungalow for 300 baht. Ko Phayam the island is absolutely beautiful, it is extremely relaxed and load back and very quiet. There are a few bungalow resorts on the beach a few bars and a dive shop.

The bamboo bungalows at hornbill huts are extremely basic. We have been traveling around south east Asia a while and are on a backpackers budget so we don't mind basic but these bungalows are beyond what we are comfortable with. They are very open, shutter windows that don't lock and the walls don't meet the roof so there is more than a foot gap in some places where you can see outside. Inside there is just a double bed that had mould on the mattress and a mosquito net and a bathroom but there is no door on the bathroom so privacy is non existent. The bathroom had a concrete floor, a pile of bricks with a bowl on for a sink and a toilet with no flush, you get a bucket so you can flush it with this. The showers are cold water which is not a problem as it is a really warm place but the floor doesn't dry so the whole week we were there the bathroom floor was wet and dirty. There are some nails in the walls to hang your things on and one shelf but other than that there is no room for anything. All our clothes ended up with rust stain on them from the nails.

You get a deck area with the huts that is quite large but with the cheap bamboo rooms you don't get a hammock or any chairs so we used our beach mat and sat on the floor. If you don't like bugs or animals pay extra and get a more enclosed bungalow as our hut was continually inhabited with cockroaches, huge wasps and bees, a snake, lizards, Mosquitos, and moths. There was an ants nest next to our hut so there were loads of ants in the hut and one night all over the bed.

Hornbill huts resort is ok, it has a resteraunt and bar and electricity from 6pm with free wifi. The resort seemed to have a few regular long term guests who the owners fussed over but the owners were not very friendly to us. We hired a kayak off them for 50 baht an hour and they have snorkel equipment to borrow for free. They have a library you can borrow books for a 300 baht deposit or you can exchange a book (as long as you don't pick a good one that is not for trade and as long as your book is in good condition).

I think in a different bungalow we would have had a nicer experience as some of the huts look very nice but we were ready to levae after a week for a nicer room. The bamboo bungalows are ok as long as you don't mind living in extremely basic conditions in open air. The island itself makes it worth it however as it is a perfect paradise.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

nice bungalow, large bed with a soft matress, nice bath room. towel in the bungalow, staff clean the room if you request. Friendly owner. Fan in the room, safe case in the bangalow. bungalow is near the beach, good food in the restaurant, wifi free in the restaurant

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank OLIVIER r
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I had such a good time at Hornbill Hut last month. We stayed in a hut a bit further back for one night then moved to a beachfront hut the next day. We spent 8 days in total doing far too little. Days were spent swinging in the hammock - every hut has one - walking on the long and fairly deserted beach, watching crabs dig holes, and deciding what to have for the next meal.
The huts are fairly basic with a comfy bed, mosquito net, fan, and attached bathroom with cold water and western toilet. Electricity is on from 6pm until about 5am. Unusually, for a hut at this price, there is a decent amount of storage space. Each hut is slightly different but ours had a wardrobe and some shelves, and a little table. The nicest touch was the metal storage box ( a basic safe) bolted onto the wardrobe. You will need a medium padlock for this - they sell them in reception if you haven't brought your own. If you're still not comfortable with this level of security, you can put your valuables into the safe at reception.
All the staff are very friendly and the lovely lady who runs the place speaks excellent English and is always ready for a chat. She will help with all arrangements for onward travel and offer you advice, should you need it.
The restaurant serves pretty good food, some dishes better than others and service is reasonably quick. They have a lovely terrace from which to watch the stunning Andaman Ocean sunsets. To cut down on plastic, they also have a drinking water refill system.
If you're interested, and I know that some of you will be, we did come across a spider and a cockroach while we were there. Koh Phayam is an undeveloped island with a lot of trees so it wasn't a huge surprise, though the spider was (it was massive). And cockroaches - well, they're just everywhere aren't they? We also had two big geckos in our bathroom though they didn't bother me at all. I'm just warning you, that's all.
There is free wifi which gets turned on at about 10am for a few hours, then again at about 6pm until about 10ish. If you need it on between these times, it will get turned on for you if you ask.
Koh Phayam is such a lovely little island - no loud music, no vendors on the beach, no noisy long-tail boats...just perfect. Change is coming though, so go now if you want peace and quiet.
Finally, a plea... There is the odd bit of broken glass on the beach - mainly brown glass from energy drink bottles - so would you please, if you see it, pick it up and put it in the bin. I picked up at least 3 or 4 pieces every day on my daily walk. I know it's not really our responsibility but it's necessary if we want to keep this beach rubbish-free. There is only a basic medical centre on the island and you can sustain a nasty cut from those bits of glass. Some Thais still have a very casual approach to littering, though having said that I witnessed a group of Europeans have a drink on the beach and walk away from an empty can. We can all do our bit - that's all I'm saying.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank makeminealargeone
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have been there twice in 2 months and would return anytime again. Nice restaurant lounge on the beach, free wifi, huge bungalows and hornbill birds every where...and eagles, The beach is snow white and turns grey towards the sea. But spotless clean and long and wide...and the best sunsets day by day. Awesome place and she is the most friendly owner you can wish for, him...look yourself :-)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2012

After a bad experience with another place on the same beach (see my other review) we looked for somewhere nice, and visited every place on Ao Yai Beach. The second we walked into Hornbill Hut we knew we found what we were looking for: we were greeted with a huge smile by the guy that runs the place. He showed us the rooms which were beautiful. We ended up getting a beachfront deluxe unit for 300 baht, we couldn't believe how good everything was. The food was good, it was very quiet and relaxing. We got free internet that was turned on for us whenever we wanted. All the other guests were also lovely people and we had great time hanging out with them. Honestly there was not one thing we could complain about!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple