“Absolutely fantastic adventure”

Ecorafting - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Ross
More attraction details
Owner description: Booking booth located at the Fox and Franz Heli services building on the main road in Franz Josef Glacier.
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

went on a 2 day heli rafting trip down the mokihinui, with out a doubt it's the best thing I did in my 4 years in nz an I had a lot of amazing adventures down their. Josh and the guides were a great bunch, good fun and loving the adventure themselves. 2 days rafting through magical untouched nz forest with no sign of humans to be seen, a ride in a chopper, superb rafting through some huge rapids and between some massive boulders, camp out in the bush with great banter around the fire at night. A proper world class adventure that you would struggle to get anywhere else but the beautiful west coast NZ. Wish I could do again, this time with my fly rod.

1  Thank Fraser C

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were both a bit apprehensive about going rafting so we booked the river float. We met Josh at an agreed location and were spirited away to a remote location. They did a great job as there was not much water flowing at the time but still managed to find somewhere suitable for us. Our guide was really great, very understanding and patient with us and we had a really nice time floating down the river and enjoying the view. Although there was not much water we still enjoyed some rapids to get the heart going! Our guide was very informative and easy going so we enjoyed having a chat and being expertly guided in what to do and when. We were met lower down the river by Josh and provided with some gourmet sandwiches for lunch which was a nice touch. It was a really great trip handled by a small local company and I would highly recommend anyone looking for a gentle float or a more exciting rafting adventure to try these guys out for a more friendly, local experience.

joshua m, Owner at Ecorafting - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Hi Navin, thanks for the review and the video clips you guys sent us from your camera, I hope you enjoyed the video clips we sent you as well. Thanks again for supporting our small family business.

Josh and Kristen

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Me and my wife decided to go for the heli rafting on Whataroa river after watching promo movies and reading reviews here and at rankers.co.nz.

In general most of the positive feedback was true. What we liked:
+ While emailing with Josh and his wife I was able to agree on all terms and they provided me with some useful information;
+ trip started with short but long enough helicopter flight;
+ scenery of the rafting is stunning, sometimes I wished we could just stop and observe gorge and nature around us;
+ extra activities - jumping from a cliff, jumping into waterfall;
+ quite unorthodox lunch;
+ Some thrilling moments on the way down the river;
+ Josh makes you feel like you were taking part in an adventure
+ There were only 4 of us plus Josh in the raft
+ Some cool photos of us wee taken during the trip. Unfortunately see below.

What we found not so nice:
- organizational minor and major mess ups - we were charged more then initially agreed (this was sorted out later), asked to provide same information several times, after weeks of inquiries I learned that photos from our trip were erased, etc.
- Due to low level of water we needed to skip some of the "highlight" rapids - this was for our own safety, which is great but if would be good knowing before the trip that many rapids may need to be omitted. I wouldn't have felt a bit disappointed afterwards;
- Water was really cold - if you don't like that you should think twice of taking this trip. My wife fell into the water and she had some health issues afterwards. I jumped into it on purpose and for me it was bearable;
- If you're expecting your guide to give many instructions and to pay a great deal of attention to you - Josh is not the person. He does enough to keep everyone safe and reasonably comfortable, nothing more. For me this was an advantage, for my wife the opposite;
- Meeting point is place where one gets eaten by Sand Flies. Even insect repellents weren't able to protect us from them. I strongly recommend to stop and change next to the main road before taking the turn towards the helicopter pod.

To wrap it up, small things changed the trip into not so awesome experience. If it hadn't been so expensive I would add another star.

joshua m, Manager at Ecorafting - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Hi Piotr,

In regards to your review,

REPLY - The photo's from your trip (which were free) were not erased, they are still there on facebook for you to view. Here is the link again

- Due to low level of water we needed to skip some of the "highlight" rapids - this was for our own safety, which is great but if would be good knowing before the trip that many rapids may need to be omitted. I wouldn't have felt a bit disappointed afterwards.
REPLY The trip has 2 rapids that we always portage because they are to dangerous to raft.

REPLY, Your wife was very skinny and prone to the cold, we offered several times to give her a change of dry thermals that we always carry with us and she refused until she was extremely cold. We also provided her with gloves, wetsuit, drytop and diving boots. It is not often that we are cold but occasionally we have a cold windy day and some people are very susceptible to cold.

- If you're expecting your guide to give many instructions and to pay a great deal of attention to you - Josh is not the person. He does enough to keep everyone safe and reasonably comfortable, nothing more. For me this was an advantage, for my wife the opposite.
I think there was a communication problem possibly as we have never had this problem before and I bend over backwards to entertain my clients.

REPLY In NZ, where there is water there are sandflies, they are the reason our rivers are chrystal clear as the sandfly larvae eat the algae. Some days they are very bad and some days not.

You were only charged $400 for the trip, this is a very low price. Our competition charge $550 and $625 respectively and they also charge for photos on top of that.

You got an awesome deal for a great day out, if you did not want to get wet maybe choose a river with a lower grading. I feel that your wife was probably a bit nervous all day and maybe she would have benefited from an easier river that was not so challenging. Please remember it was a great day, we all had an awesome time (even your wife after a while) and the price was very reasonable. Helicopter flight, full days rafting, canyoning, lunch and free photo's.

Drop us a line next time your in NZ and we will take you on a free trip on a river that is not so challenging and will be more suitable for you.

Cheers!

Josh Marcotte

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The rafting trip was a massive highlight to my trip to New Zealand. I would definitely go again with this guys and I would highly recommend them to everyone and anyone who is considering doing a rafting trip in New Zealand. The scenery was amazing, the food was fantastic , the rafting was so good and it was with a great bunch of bloke who made you feel safe, comfortable and made sure you were having a great time, which isn’t hard because it is an extremely fun time.

So just want to say a huge thanks to Josh, Graham and Adam for the fantastic experience, I had an awesome time and you guys are a great punch of blokes.

Thanks again

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was a highlight of my trip to New Zealand. Although more expensive than your average white water rafting, it is well worth the expense. You get a beautiful helicopter flight in, incredible scenery, free lunch and an absolutely awesome and thrilling ride down rapids and gorges. Must do!