See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 22, 2017 via mobile

Dead huntsmen spider stuck to our door which was difficult to open and close. Live huntsmen in bathroom which husband killed. Windows difficult to open, was stifling in cabin as air con hardly worked. Beds were comfortable. Kettle needed a clean. We booked to stay in Bondi 2 but was given Bondi 1. Towels were nice and so were animals and gardens. Kitchen very basic and could have done with some renovating.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed March 16, 2017

I chose the 'Overland carriage' as I have many memories of the old Overland train that used to travel between Melbourne and Adelaide. The carriage pre-dated the ones I travelled in, but i still found it an interesting idea to stay in century old version of the train.

Much of the old carriage is still there, and it made the room all the more charming.

The room was well laid out and nicely furnished, with more than adequate space. There was a small bar fridge with - sadly no milk, and a functional sink, toaster and kettle. Additionally there was a small TV bolted to the wall.

The bathroom was a bit... hit and miss though. The shower was adequate but far from modern, and the sink and toilet were awkwardly positioned - if anything out of necessity. While the key surfaces appeared to be kept fairly clean, the construction and design of this bathroom meant there were plenty of spots for dust and cobwebs that made it feel somewhat run-down.

It is worth mentioning that this area is a terrible black-spot for telephone reception. I managed to get momentary data connects with my phone, but they were few and far between. And forget any hint of Wifi. That said, it would make great for a digital de-tox location.

One brilliant plus for this place is the gardens. I had a couple of lovely walks around the garden, where I had a nice chat to the cockatoo, chased a few peacocks and got chased by a little friendly dog. There's horses alpacas and other wildlife roaming the place, which would be great for kids.

Would I stay again? Yeah. It was charming, but not brilliant.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2017

Accommodation was booked by my son who said it was a cottage in the country.There are other cottages but also some converted train carriages. It has formal gardens and a selection of animals from hens, turkeys and a cockatoo who can speak. He entertained us one evening. A really different place to stay and good value.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2016 via mobile

We stayed here last night in a Bondi cabin.

It started off badly when the owner rings me and tells me the room booked via wotif wouldn't fit our family so we would have to pay an extra $20 - I'm sorry but that's not our issue if it let us book the cabin when I specifically said it was for 4.

All we wanted was a clean place to stay we didn't care about televisions, WiFi etc.

Upon first walking up to the carriage it looked good until we found there were spider webs everywhere (we get it, it's the country) what we didn't like was all the spider webs inside the cabin and the over 5 spiders we killed last night, especially the one that was in what was meant to be our bed. So we all slept in one bed together so we could keep an eye on the kids, it doesn't take much to go and grab those insect bombs and use them once every month or two! I don't want to sound precious but once you've found a couple of white tips and other bigger black spiders within 3 hours of being some where and you have young children it's worrisome! We have been to the country many times and never experienced anything like that. We didn't take any luggage in because we were so worried they'd crawl in!

We also didn't like the white marks all over one of the blue pillow cases (gross!). Also the kettle situation - there was water in the bottom of it when we went to use it and it needed a serious descale!

While the garden was nice there were no bee warning signs - having young kids this would have been nice.

The idea of the carriage is nice but the execution is poor, not worth the $$$ especially when I compare with what we are in now and could get anywhere else for the same price.

Food - you have to order by midday for dinner! Well we didn't arrive til well after this leaving us to have no choice but go to Port Fairy. I also had issue with the lack of milk in the cabin - it's fine to say just ask but most people expect some in their cabins.

All in all I will never recommend anyone to stay here.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Anna S
Reviewed June 1, 2016

We booked as a B&B as advertised and stayed in the restored train carriage and wow!!, first impression beautiful . And then, like getting too close to a female impersonator the cracks in the makeup started to appear. No mobile or internet connection. Nearest food the day we stayed at Pt Fairy 20k down the road. No breakfast but a toaster in the carriage and no plates or cutlery. Beautiful monogrammed towels and mirrors set so low as to be unusable. Ineffective AC. No screens to keep insects out. Not sorry we stayed. The story of this stop has produced hilarity around the dinner table

Date of stay: March 2016