Siolim House
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Astoria(Assagao)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsboutique hotelheritage propertyair conditioningmorning yogarelaxing stayold world charmgoan cuisineour room was spaciouscommunal areaspiece of paradisean apologyla plagenorth goalovely poolfell in lovefeel at homean ideal place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 4, 2013

A dream house maintained with great care in a village location with various shops nearby and 10 minutes far from the most beautiful beaches!
The staff was attentive and very caring throughout our stay. Room and bathroom were beautiful and really spacious. The pool and the garden were a value to relax in a lush setting.
I highly recommend this hotel, our stay was magical !!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Scarlettroze
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Another round of public thank you's this time for you Siolim House and Frangipani. You're effort to make our weekend the perfect celebration was beyond what we expected. Thank you for showing us the time of our lives, for being discreet, specially for you D for being a 'fixer' for every little problem I had :-). The food had rave reviews and so did the desserts....the properties are other worldly and a lot of us will definitely be back for more, esp the ones that left their wife's behind :-). Thanks again for everything.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David P
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Way over rated for all the hype. Given a room that opens to the lobby and windows to the garden car park. No AC so only way to keep a breeze is to leave door open and windows open. Options are privacy and swealter, or just hot with some sense of breeze and no privacy. Hear every lobby conversation. Staff and guests walk by looking in or even walk into the room. The manager is apparently new over the past few months per other guests. Patronizing and smily but generally unhelpful. Then at the end told I owed 3K more rupee. Prepaid portion of the bill, ~19K, with emailed receipt in hand but told I only paid ~16K and charged the extra along with the bill balance. Stay in a high end beach resort for less and closer to more attractions. Likely a better time and more comfortable. Definitely disappointed overall.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Wanderer915
SIolimGoa, Owner at Siolim House, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Sir

Thanks for your feedback. Im sorry your experience was not positive. In siolim House as mnetioned on our website, only 4 of our 7 rooms are AC, and for some folks AC is a requirement for the month of April. It is always your choice to choose the AC rooms. The AC in the other 3 rooms has been purposefully left out to the heritage character of that part of the building and the fact that that part of the structure would not lend itself to AC both from aesthetics as well as other factors, like not being able to air an old goan house.

As regards the payment issue - I believe there was no problem with the payment and we did not take anything beyond what has been agreed. I am sorry that the impression you give is that that is the case, and thats a bit harsh I feel

A guest for us is a friend from the time he comes, and we are truly very very grateful for your having come to stay with us. Please write to me directly again if we can clarify anything on the bill.

Something went wrong, and it appears that that made you feel that the staff was less than discreet etc. Our staff is small and has been with us for years - if sorry but I hope that it was only your impression.

Its true that a beach hotel is what some folks need and it does happen rarely that people who wanted to go there end up with us - we are a heritage hotel and offer a different experience, set back, laid back and authentic I hope. Sometimes having paid an advance you may feel that its what you didnt want - if such is the case you should address the issue at the beginning, if there is something that can be done we would try.

But anyways thanks for coming and feel free to write to me.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

went back to Siolim after 6 years, concerned that it might have changed - but, apart from some improvements to the bathrooms and pool, nothing has changed thank goodness and it is just as lovely as it ever was. The beds are huge and comfortable, the staff endlessly helpful and welcoming and the food is delicious. It appears that if it is you that they ask first about dinner you can more or less choose your menu. After that stage it is a set meal though there is always veg or non-veg choice I think. It was unseasonably hot for March - daytime temperatures often over 35 and we were very comfortable in a vast first floor, non-aircon room - wide open windows and very effective fans were much nicer than chilly air-conditioning. Rock and roll it is not, nor is it an international hotel with a business centre for those who need to be online all the time. A relaxed place to appreciate the marvellous restoration of a grand old house, chat with fellow guests, eat authentic local food and enjoy the peace of the beautiful garden and pool...yes it is.

Room Tip: The suites are simply enormous and very comfortable and stylish.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Julia H
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A rambling, charismatic 17th Century house, lovingly restored by the owner when in his mid 20s (around the mid / late 1990s) – a three year project at the time, completed with great attention to detail and an eye for style and elegance – has produced a truly magical environment.
There is a real stone pool in a beautiful garden, lush with vegetation which is a great place to hang out and sun yourself, read or meditate – if that’s what you are in to.
Every corner you turn and every direction you look at and every room you peek into here is an visual delight.
There are just seven rooms – I booked a ‘superior’ suit on the first floor, which was spacious with a massive high ceilinged bathroom (a large shower cubicle and no bath) as well with a window overlooking the pool / garden. Airy and comfortable (fine without AC in March), although there was no desk or WIFI in the rooms – not great for me as I need to be online most of the time!
There’s also no fridges in the rooms, but you can store your favourite drinks in the kitchen fridges.
The staff are really friendly, obliging and ready to please … and the house dog Blackie is great fun!
You have the option to eat in for dinner (served poolside), but you have to let them know by lunchtime as they buy the produce fresh each day. I didn’t go for that!
The location is great for exploring north Goa – very central, and nothing is far away. Siolim House also has a tie ups with certain local taxis who are reliable, reasonably priced and (in my experience) all pleasant and informative drivers.
The WIFI is only available in the Restaurant, which is one of the communal areas next door to the pool – and so I spent a lot of time there! It was free and most of the time a good quality signal, however this also meant that you had the share your office space with everyone else who happened to be staying. This is not always ideal!
The other drawback for me was that all the guests staying there that weekend seemed to want to live in silence.
I’m the first to admit that I am not the quietest of people – and I am also quite manic – not in a hooligan style, but I am ways busy .. and my voice does get quite boomey, especially when excited, on the phone and Skype-ing without headphones!!!
Unfortunately this really wound up some of the other guests!!!
I soon concluded that – fantastic though the world of Siolim House is in so many ways – it’s really not an ideal place for someone like me … sharing the public space with the internet connection with strangers who want peace and quiet on their holidays! This I guess is fair enough – although India would not be my first choice of destination for solitude and calm!!!
I would go back – ideally with my most special friends so we could all stay there together and enjoy the great karma …… but in the rough and tumble world of reality …. I need somewhere where my personality and work does not so easily impact on other people’s personal space!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business