The George Hotel Cley
The White Horse(Blakeney)
The Crown Hotel(Wells-next-the-Sea)
  • Restaurant
Black Lion Hotel(Walsingham)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbeer gardenchowderwine listbird watchersthrough secret escapestop flooran enjoyable staysea bassthe pubcoastal pathnice roomnorth norfolkbooked a tableboth nightsweekend breakwell worth a visitsmoked haddock
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Very welcoming & hospitable! Accommodated four adults, five children & one cockapoo for lunch (without pre booking) after a long muddy walk across the marshland from Blakeney. We left our muddy wellies outside the front door & enjoyed a delicious lunch. A warm friendly pub/restaurant in the beautiful village of Cley next the sea.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank juscrischava
cleyhotelier, Owner at The George Hotel Cley, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

I was so pleased that you enjoyed your lunch, next time leave your wellies on , we have revamped the wooden floors so cleaning is dead easy! Looking forward to serving you on your next visit. Kind Regards stephen

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This review is for the restaurant, we booked to have dinner here one evening in August while walking the coastal path. The table had been booked over 1 month in advance, when we turned up in the evening, we were taken through to the restaurant by a member of staff to be seated, then another member had a tantrum in front of us, telling their colleague that we were not in the restaurant and we were to be seated out in the bar. Aside from this the food we had was very good. Be aware that if it is busy you might not be sat in the restaurant as we found out.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marky_Potton

Many thanks for your comments which I have taken on board, your visit was not on our watch as we only took over in October and I can assure you that any bookings made guarantee a reservation in the restaurant. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit. Kind Regards stephen

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Just got back from this wonderful hotel in a lovely quiet part of Norfolk and can't recommend it enough. Great staff lovely room and wonderful food.
Recommend the smoked haddock chowder it's out of this world. Full English is very tasty and nicely cooked as is all the food .Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Cley suite is lovely
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tim H
cleyhotelier, Owner at The George Hotel Cley, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

HI

I was so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The George and that you loved your food. We are launching a new menu on the second week in February but you will be pleased to know that we are keeping our house specials which includes the Chowder. The new dishes are really wonderful including tempura king prawns and crispy beef to name just two so am looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Kindest Regards
Stephen

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I spent a couple of days at The George between Christmas and New Year. The room was lovely, large and cosy and the fresh milk and Caramel Wafers were a nice touch. However the dinner experience was very disappointing. The fire had been allowed to burn out, it was roaring when we arrived at lunchtime, and the restaurant areas were freezing. We asked to move away from a window but that only made a little difference.
The menu choice was also disappointing. We thought it was a reasonable lunchtime menu but needed something extra for the evenings. The mushroom soup was tasty but barely hot and the fish and chips were good but it was all a bit basic.
The dining areas were stil chilly at breakfast but the cooked breakfast was excellent.
Other posts have commented on the cosines but this was sadly lacking on our visit and would have been so simple to fix. Curtains would also help to make sitting by the windows more comfortable.
A further positive note is that the staff were friendly and helpful.
Parking can be limited depending on when you arrive. The Windmill is another parking option.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lindah5584
cleyhotelier, Owner at The George Hotel Cley, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Hi

Many thanks for your comments. I was very disappointed to learn that you were cold in the restaurant and I just wish that you had brought it to our attention at the time. As you may know Cley is in a conservation area so there are limitations to what we can do to the property although nearly all the windows were replaced last year. As you say we normally have a roaring fire so I am concerned that it burnt out when you were staying maybe you could let me know the date of your dining experience and I can get to the bottom of it. We are not able to put curtains on the windows as they will simply take too much space especially as the building is on a corner however new blinds are being made at the moment and should be in position by March. I am sorry that you felt the menu needed a little extra in the evening, every day we always run specials I can only think that these were not brought to your attention so many thanks for bringing this to my attention. We have hired a new head chef just a few days ago (as well as retaining the previous one) so I think you will find our food offering will be even better on your next trip. I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast (all food is locally sourced and from a local butcher) and that you liked your room. Many thanks for pointing out that there is indeed a free public car park owned by the council just a few feet from the hotel in front of the windmill which does give a lot of additional parking.

I look forward to looking after you on your next visit.

Kind Regards
Stephen

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Roaring fire, great service and good atmosphere. Menu was not long but had sophisticated dishes on it with local ingredients.All followed by a great meal at a decent price. Would recommend if you have been walking along the coast and are in need of a refuge

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ben A

Hi

I was so pleased that you enjoyed your meal it makes all the difference to our team when they hear from satisfied diners like yourself. I do hope we will see you again soon in the George for another lunch after a long walk!

Kind Regards