“Don't go there expecting European "haute cuisine"”

Jaanchies Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Willemstad, Curacao
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't go there expecting European "haute cuisine"”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Don't go there expecting European "haute cuisine", but to sample the real, grandma's cooking, down to earth meals like every Curacaoan fondly remembers their grandmother or "yaya" for. The ambiance is somewhat aimed at tourists, but the talking menu is a remnant of the days past when customers talked to the restaurant owner about what they wanted to eat. We love the fact that you can have everything "half-half" like everywhere where the locals eat (half portion of fries with half portion of rice? No problem!)
One word of caution though; if you want to savour the impression of how it was about 50 years ago to eat out on Curacao, don't go during the high time of lunch or dinner especially in the weekends. The place will be packed and you'll find the service somewhat lacking.
The food is good and reminiscing of how a good, local cook would make food for her family. No European "fine dining" stuff, just wholesome food.
If you're going for a cheap meal, you'll be better off going to the 'Chinese' restaurant a couple of meters further up the road. Jaanchies food is prepared with love and as we all know love is not cheap.

• Visited August 2014

• Polish first
Los Angeles, California
“Tourist Prices but Good Food”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Im sorry while the owner seems nice and does indeed just tell you what they have for the day you cant help but feeling you are getting the tourist rates as he asks where you are from, where your parents are from, where your grandparents from almost as if he is searching for a reason to give you a local price but me just being plain ol American didnt work.

I guess if you ask he will tell you a price prior to eating but we didnt. I had no clue how much I was going to pay. At the end is when I became assured I was getting tourist prices as the lady I was with paid first, he asked her what did she have she said the the fish and shrimp, he replies didnt you have a drink as well? she says yes, he says ok $20 american dollars, she goes im not american how much in guilders he tells her. Hearing this, when it got to my turn I said I had the same thing she had but not drinks just water, he goes it doesnt matter $20. Well if it just $20 period why did you bother to ask her if she had something to drink??

The fish was good, by far the best was the shrimp in the garlic sauce that was fantastic, there is also a spicy vinegar and onion concoction that was tasty with it, rice and beans so so but good.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank MikiB7
oklahoma city
“Excellent dinner and price”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We dined here our second evening after arriving Curacao. As the norm, Jaanchie (extremely nice man) came out and gave us the rundown on the menu items available and prepared our request. The food was excellent as was the price. My husband and I had different kinds of fish paired with shrimp with fries and rice. The portions were large and plenty. After our meal (even though we couldn’t finish all of our food) we were given an ice-cream sandwich which was tasty. We enjoyed the atmosphere, watching the birds were priceless. In fact, the food was so good and I was so focused on the birds, I failed to take a picture of the meal!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank jampet
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Awesome place!”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Jaanchies is a very nice place to eat while in Curacao! It may be nothing you are used with from the cities you live in or you have travelled to, but this is exactly what I love about it!
Its location, the very friendly owners, the very unusual presentation of the menu and, not the last, the possibility of trying dishes made of iguana, make me more then happy to recommend everyone this place!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Robert C
“Great local experience”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We went to Jaanchies for dinner. We arrived at 7:25 pm and were the last customers they let in- so go early! Mr. Jaanchie is VERY charming. As other reviewers stated, there is no menu, he just comes to your table and describes what they're serving that night. My friends and I tried the fish, shrimp, and pork chip entrees- they were all good! We also tried the iguana. It's full of spiky bones but Mr. Jaanchie was right- it tastes like chicken! This place was a lot of fun and a great way to experience the Curaçao culture.