“Not too bad” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jaanchies Restaurant

Jaanchies Restaurant
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Miami, Florida
“Not too bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Went here for lunch with my wife during my 2 weeks vacation on Curacao.
The food was Just okay , Service was friendly. I had the goat and my wife had fish.
It's worth giving this Restaurant a try , just don't expect too much .

• Visited September 2013

Milwaukee, WI
“Island flavor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a good restaurant if you want to experience some local food and flavors. The atmosphere is nice and you will hear lots of birds chirping just outside while you eat. Our only complaint is that sometimes the temperature inside is uncomfortably hot and there is not much air circulation. Still, a visit to Curacao is not complete without a visit to Jannchies.

Visited June 2013
Houston, Texas
“Like visiting your quirky uncle for dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Jaanchie's far exceeded our expectations based on many other reviewers' complaints. I was dragged kicking and screaming into Jaanchie's by my wife, who insisted that we give the place a try despite warnings from other reviewers. Based on those reviews, I expected the restaurant to be a dump, and Jaanchie to be this creepy, drunk guy who gropes you while giving you the rundown on what's left in the kitchen after being picked over all day by previous visitors. This visit included none of that!

The interior of the restaurant was a dimly lit den of heavy wooden tables and chairs--a perfect setting for a quaint, romantic dinner. We were first greeted by our server who took our beverage order and explained that Jaanchie would soon give us a "walking and talking menu." Jaanchie was chatting it up with other guests and just when my efforts to control my rush mode were reaching their limit, he sauntered over to our table and pulled up a chair.

Jaanchie sat down with the air of a host who knows his food, knows the area, and truly wants his guests to enjoy their dishes as well as their experience in his "home." He explained the dishes available to order, and yes...he did touch us. He gingerly ran his fingers up our arms while playfully explaining the lore that eating iguana stew can be an aphrodisiac. We both ordered shrimp in garlic sauce with rice and beans (known as gallo pinto or casamiento in Latin America) and plantains. When we noted that we wish we could taste the iguana stew, the server said she could bring a side of it. Thank you!

Our food was served within 20 minutes--far from the one hour wait that others described. And this was by far the best food we'd eaten since arriving in Curacao. The server brought out a tray of three sauces before the food arrived--spicy garlic, Hollandaise, and mayonnaise, which the Dutch apparently like to slather on everything according to Jaanchie. I did add a little spicy garlic sauce to my beans and rice just to taste the sauce, but nothing on the plate needed additional flavouring. The garlic shrimp was heavy with garlic, which I love. The plantains were cooked with the beans and rice and this was a lovely combination. The iguana stew had a similar flavour, as far as seasoning, to the goat stew we'd eaten earlier in the day but was tastier.

We WILL return to Jaanchie's and will order at least one full entree of iguana stew. Jaanchie is a warm host who appears to genuinely care about his guests. They close at 7pm but the statement is "as long as you're in the door by 7, you can stay as long as you wish." We arrived right at 7 and left around 8:15...were not rushed or herded out the door.

Visited September 2013
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Fun, good Antillean food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

After an uninspiring supper and breakfast at the hotel, we thought we'd try this place for lunch. A pretty humble place with paintings of maps of Curacao and quotes from poems on the wall. I had the fish and shrimp and my wife had the goat. We both loved it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
South Florida, Florida
“No menu”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Owner w take your order it takes to long for everything order a soup that never came... Food not bad but portions to small and they come on silver dishes that remind me of a hospital!!!! Also $20 a plate to far and price based on service sucks!!!

Visited August 2013