“Great Getaway”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oyster Pond
Les Balcons d'Oyster Pond
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just returned from a seven night stay at the "Sweety Cottage". I would definitely recommend this property to anyone who is looking for something a little different than a hotel stay.
The cottage is fully equipped with everything you would need for a self-catered vacation while at the same time, it is within close proximity to some great restaurants.
David and Carine are great hosts, my wife and I have visited St. Martin many times over the past ten years, usually staying in the Orient Beach area, but we thoroughly enjoyed our week in Oyster Pond.
We are looking forward to a return visit in the spring.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul G

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Who says you leave adventuresome antics behind in your college years. Semi-surprise make up gift for a milestone birthday. Very nice make-up choice! Great island to explore, so many nooks, crannies and interesting people.

Les Balcons is a beautiful spot to call home for your stay. We stayed in the "Sweety Cottage" and it was perfect! Very elegant, very well appointed, great condition, very romantic bedroom, sexy bathroom! We loved the deck - day and night. Carine and David are excellent hosts and care about not only their properties but are genuinely there to help you enjoy your stay. Booking was a snap, check in was a snap, stay was beyond expectations, acomodations were beyond expectations, check out was sad but easy. Location was great - gave us a chance to explore but very convenient to the hub.

Food was excellent and choices are abundant. We also enjoyed grocery shopping in not only the larger markets but the smaller ones (Carine will give you directions). Grabbing fresh bread and pastries to go along with our cheeses, fruits and fresh made salsa was a great way to enjoy the view.

Island/Beaches - We spent most of our time on the French side and very much enjoyed the beaches. Yes even Orient Bay - eating jerk chicken on the beautiful beach with your feet in the sand! You can find various personalities in the beaches which makes it interesting to try them all or if you find one that makes you smile than just camp out there for a while. This is definitely an Island to talk to folks on, to find the hidden gems. Great island for exploring! Just go slow over the gigantic speed mountains. Beautiful architectural points if you look closely enough in the towns.

As noted in some of the other reviews a perk with booking with Carine - she will set up a car rental for you. It made a difference and Philippe was great, the cars were clean and in good condition. One word of caution if you are returning the rental car to Philippe at the airport (and are new to the island) please please allow about 20-30 minutes longer than you expect to get back to him. (we still feel horrible about making Philippe wait at the airport - we underestimated the time to get back to the airport as we did not account for traffic and a few wrong turns)

We will be back and would not change a thing (other than to pack a little less and eat a little more).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank amcderma
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great location overseeing the bay. Quite, quaint and very nice. Units are fully equipped and close to major attractions of the island. I'd recommended it for those that want to explore the island yet come home to a nice room at night. All units have balconies and the view of the marina is priceless.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NicoM1980
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at Les Balcons for 5 nights the end of May/beginning of June. I must say that Carine was extraordinarily helpful when booking through emails. One of the greatest conveniences was being able to book a car through Carine. The car rental then picked us up at airport and we were able to leave the car there for them as well . I concur with all the great reviews. First of all, make sure to view your room on the virtual website that is linked to the Les Balcons site. When we got to ours, it looked exactly like what I pictured, so there were no surprises. The view of the marina is beautiful and quiet. The bed was extraordinarily comfortable...we are sorry we forgot to ask the brand of the pillows, because they were amazing. The air conditioning worked very well. Since we weren't there 6 nights, we payed extra for maid service for two nights, which I recommend. It was nice to return to clean room after a long day in the sun, etc. We cooked in one night, which was really nice, and bought food at a market recommended by Carine. Large Shower was pretty with rain shower head, but was a little low on the water pressure. Also our TV seemed to have a problem. It was supposed to be satellite American TV, but the only station worth watching was the OWN network. Otherwise there were religious stations, not sure why. David was going to look in to it, but unfortunately it wasn't going to get improved during our stay. No matter, TV should not be the priority, as there is too much to enjoy outside!

Carine was very helpful in helping us plan our days. The only thing that was a little frustrating was that sometimes she was not in the office at 9 am when we left for the day, and when we had questions regarding an activity or directions. But we did very well on our own with a map (oh and ask the car rental for a GPS!) The island is fairly easy to get around, although some of the roads can be tricky. Les Balcons is in a great location right on the border (French side).We were two minutes from the beautiful Dawn Beach (and from the casino at the Westin, so you don't have to travel far if you want to gamble), and from the dock where we took a 6 hour boat/snorkel tour with Captain Alan's (highly recommended!). Other highlights: Orient Beach, Lotterie Farm (ziplining and great lunch), Grand Case. We even did the touristy "watching of the planes land/take off" right over us at Maho Beach.

Also recommend you stay on French side, which is very authentic. You feel like you are far away. The Dutch side is very Americanized with lots of fast food restaurants and only English. The weather this time of year is a bit iffy. We had overcast days and some rain, but it didn't spoil anything. In fact it was welcomed in between the very hot sun (don't miss a spot using your sun screen....) And surprisingly there were NO bugs! Les Balcons is well worth the price, and if you are on a budget, nothing beats it. Tripadvisor recommended a rental place or small note and a car, and not to do an all inclusive, because there is so much to do and see on this island. Would definitely come back the way we did it if we are so fortunate. I think we did it perfectly.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 16 with large balcony on pool level. Great view of Marina, but wish the palm tree...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was our first trip to the island. When we saw the prices online I was not sure what to expect. It was so far above our expectations. Our room was clean, well appointed, and comfortable.

We met up with some friends and were able to host ten people on the balcony. We spent more time out there than inside. The property is beautiful, clean, and what a view.

Carine is a gracious host and so helpful. If you are looking for great value at a beautiful location this is it.

Don't forget to check happy hour over at the dinghy dock.....

Room Tip: Upper level rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I used TripAdvisor to help me determine my trip destination for my 40th Birthday by myself. I could not have chose a better place to stay than Les Balcones in Oyster Pond on the beautiful island of St. Maarten. This was my first time visiting the island. I stayed for two nights with an 11 hour layover in Puerto Rico allowing me to visit the rainforest and I'm already planning my return tip in August! The owners of the property offer a VERY quaint, CLEAN, private, quiet and secure place to lay your head. I didn't feel "harassed" with anyone knocking on my door, but received a VERY Warm friendly greeting and departue. The suite was stocked with towels, tissue, hair dryer, iron, safe, counter top stove, grill on patio and everything you need essentially. There was a fridge and microwave in my room and a grocery store near by to stock up. The wifi isn't the strongest but at some point I NEEDED to "unplug" anyway, that just gave me an excuse to do so!! The outlets are European so remember to bring an adaptor, but the owners will provide one if you ask. Keep in mind THIS is NOT a resort, no one will "cater" to your "needs", act as if you are at home (my home does NOT include a maid, so IF YOURS does, don't expect maid service!). The privacy made me feel like I WAS right at HOME! And giving BACK to the local business owners made me feel better than paying the over priced corps! They provide an alarm system, but really there is no need, the property is a gated community.

There really isn't a need to leave the property!! But IF you do, the locals are very friendly and will give you assistance if you are kind and polite! I live in Connecticut which is an hour away from New York, expect New York driving while there!! Locals barely follow traffic lights and there aren't any posted speed limits. If you are a timid driver, do not rent a car!! DO pull to the side if you are being tailgated by a local and let them pass. There are a LOT of potholes, don't chance being forced to drive faster and risk damaging the rental car. I loved it once I got the lay of the land, the round abouts give you a better sense of direction IF you get turned around. I got "lost" on purpose just to explore, what better place to get lost in! And because its a small island, you WILL get back to where you started eventually! Les Balcones provide an alarm system, but really there is no need, the property is a gated community. St. Maarten is rich in culture, language and FOOD!! You must enjoy the cuisine!! I spent most of my money locally, at fruit stands or local snack shacks, but I hardly had an appetite or SLEPT because the island "feeds" you mentally with so many senses of pure delight! I spent my birthday evening at Sol E Luna and felt like I was in a romantic movie IN FRANCE! The ambiance was WELL worth the visit. Although be prepared to pay for it! I ONLY ordered dessert, Creme Brule and a House Mojito cost $50.00 US dollars! I can only imagine what it would cost to eat there! But for my birthday this was my only splurge! I was able to keep my spending expenses to a maximum of $150.00 including my car rental which was a tiny Hyundai I10. Be warned, the hills are VERY steep, but the little car I drove MADE it up them!! The views are breath taking and stunning! A must visit is Dawn beach, because my name is Dawn, I was tickled pink to be on a beach baring my name that almost seemed secluded! Both days I went hardly anyone was there! I started out the villa around 7am each morning and enjoyed the peace and quiet before most people woke up! If you are up to explore the Nude beach Orient is quite a place to visit as well. The sand is powder soft and the water will massage your soul from the outside IN! Whether you are just laying out on the beach enjoying the gentle waves hitting the shore or exploring the tiny neighborhoods your visit WILL be an enjoyable one! I look forward to my next visit. Jouir De!!

Room Tip: Because Wifi can be a little shaky, have patience when waiting for the owners to respond to your inq...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was our fourth stay at Les Balcons and it won't be our last. The view from our upper level wooden porch was amazing. You not only have a beautiful view of the marina but the ocean as well. The rooms are cozy and inviting. Great location for getting around the island, so be sure to rent a car. Bring a good pair of walking shoes and stroll the neighborhood. Wonderful friendly people. We love Carine the manager as she always makes sure we feel very welcomed and at home. We can't wait until our next visit!

Room Tip: If you can book an upper level room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
#8 of 12 in Philipsburg
Holland House Beach Hotel
Holland House Beach Hotel
#2 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Les Balcons d'Oyster Pond? Share your experiences!