“Loved it!”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Henderson, Nevada
“Loved it!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We checked in June 21, we were an hour early, but our room was ready, they were quick and we were greeted with champagne. Then you're off to the activity desk where you can opt in for the timeshare schpeel. I own several and don't mind doing the presentation…always like to see what a new property has to offer! Everyone at concierge was nice except for one lady…I'm assuming when the other reviewers mentioned them being rude, it was probably her. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I'm hoping she was just too dry/sarcastic-trying-to-be-funny-but-not-quite-pulling-it-off for the older set. Stick with the guys, they were great! I traded my Marriott in thru II and we had a very nice 2 bedroom (not a lock off) 2332, overlooking Dawn Beach. Our room matched the one they showed us on the timeshare tour, so I'm assuming that means it was part of the most recent renovations. Lovely blues and greens, a/c worked great and the kitchen had everything you needed…we even found some citronella candles for the balcony…nice touch! -on that note, bring your skeeter repellent, they are not swarming or anything, but there are a few thirsty ones hanging out. I bought UltraThon from amazon in a 2oz tube…the only day I got bit was the day I forgot to put it on. Anyway, no elevator in this building, but 3 flights of stairs were worth the view! We were directly over Beau Beaus restaurant and yes you could hear the music, but most of the nights we sat out on our balcony with a nightcap and enjoyed the show! Only one night was annoying and I think that was just because we were super tired and wanted to go to sleep before they were done…which was usually 9 or 10pm. I heeded the other reviewers warnings about lumpy pillows and stuffed one from home into my suitcase…glad I did! Their's weren't horrible, but I had the extra room and it made me happy. If I had to find one other negative thing to say, it is that the water pressure was quite light. Oh well, I wasn't there for a beauty contest and just let my hair frizz out like it wanted to anyway!
The infinity pool was nice, a shallow side for the kiddos and a deeper side for the adults. We never had trouble getting 2 chairs together with an umbrella. Bar & restrooms were nearby and Wanda The Wonderful was also providing poolside service. We had a small walk to the pool are, but the beach was accessable from our building…They raked up the seaweed every day and there were plenty of chairs and umbrellas down there as well. It was pretty breezy last week, so we never sat up shop on the beach, but did walk it several times.
We rented a car from the airport…navigating wasn't too difficult, and it probably came out cheaper than to take taxis everywhere anyway. We got a "compact SUV," which sounded a little questionable, but turned out to be great, it was a small Dihatsu and was perfect for the tiny parking places, or lack thereof, all over the island. Don't go for anything full-sized or bigger, those poor guys were having a helluva time parking. And may I suggest getting the insurance? We hit our door on various things several times and also a giant rock that popped up out of no where! (I swear!) It was also nice to be able to drive to other beaches and also the restaurants on the french side. We stopped at a grocery store in Phillipsburg and stocked up on booze, snacks, water, sodas etc. There is the Pier Grocery walking distance from OBBR, but it is quite overpriced and not a whole lot of selection. We also drove over and took the ferry to St. Barth's from the french side. That was an "ok" experience….I'm glad to got to see it, probably won't go back on another day trip, though. The ferry ride took about 40 mins, I know I get seasick so I took a couple dramamines and was fine…my traveling companion, not so much. He was pretty green by the time we got there an then was miserable the whole day. Not much to do in the marina area, just the requisite Hermes and other vastly expensive shops and a couple restaurants. We walked (technically hiked!) to Shell Beach…that was NOT worth the effort. Now bored with 5 more hours to kill, we took a 10 minute, 20 euro ($30) cab ride to St. Jean…had cocktails at The Sand Bar at Eden Rock. I guess this is the place the celebs go and you'd need rock star money to stay here…4 cocktails were over $140!! yeowza. The staff there were all very friendly, but they were the only ones on the whole island. Very uppity, and I can't say rude, because no one even spoke to us for them to be rude to us! I like to buy jewelry as my souvenir and we went into several shops. One lady looked up at me, made eye contact, I said Hello and she just looked back down at her phone. Bonjour? how am I supposed to spend money when you can't even say hello? Everyone on St. Maarten and at OBBR were super friendly, you pass people they all said Hello, smiled…guess we got spoiled those first couple days.
Anyway, to sum it up…When I travel, I'm always looking to check another new country off my list. Rarely do I return somewhere unless I absolutely loved it. You'll never find me at a Motel 6, sometimes I go all out Ritz Carlton, but usually I stick with Marriott's level of hotel. I'm deeply embedded in their cult and I love my timeshares (2 Marriotts, a Wyndham, PBSB in Cabo and Tradewinds). As of Tuesday, I have gotten rid of my Wyndham and now own at OBBR!…that's how much I enjoyed this little island and this wonderful resort. just saying. :)

Room Tip: There are Marina view rooms (probably the quietest), Dawn Beach view rooms (lovely view but Beau Bea...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angela M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Very clean. Beautiful location. Beautiful infinity pool overlooking the ocean. I had a harbor view and was a little disappointed that they couldn't accommodate an ocean view. Food was reasonable 21.95 for the dinner buffet. I would recommend renting a car. TV was "fuzzy" the entire time. They said it was the signal from he satellite. Spray from the shower was pathetic. But it was incredibly clean. Lots of grounds keepers and cleaning people. Don shop at the grocery store on property. (Way too overpriced) go to LaGrande Marche. Don't miss the Marigot marketplace and Maho Beach.

• Stayed June 2014
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Fabulous place! Great staff and met awesome people. Everything was excellent!!!!!, go to st Barths. And swim with the Dolphins to make your trip over the top. The infinity restaurant is wonderful as are all three restaurants on the premise:).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We had a great 1 bedroom, facing the ocean. Nice size bedroom, kitchen, living area. Unfortunately, we were right next to the restaurant Beau Beau's and when they had nighty events, we heard it all night. The pool could be bigger but it met the needs of a small resort. They really cater to the Owners and when you tell them you're not interested in becoming an owner, they treat you like an outsider and they're not as friendly. That's the main reason I'm not giving them 5 stars. The food was ok but you're better off driving off the resort and into the city. Conoa was excellent, Sandy's in Marigot was great too. Beau Beau's was overly priced for below-average food but what a great location. When we did have problems with our room, they were quick to fix them. I would highly recommend the island bus tour, Livingston is WONDERFUL. One thing we tried to work on with the locals is smiling...their faces light up when they smile and they're much more approachable. Our favorite bar server was Wanda and we always looked for her when we wanted food and drinks. She smiled all the time. Thanks Wanda. Oh, watch out for the excursions you schedule with the Activities Desk. We found out that OBBR keeps a percentage of the sales and it's charged to your room, along with a $1 a day fee, a utilities charge, etc. I would highly recommend that you look at your bill in detail prior to your departure and ask questions!! We would return as long as we were not approached by the sales people and have a room facing the ocean.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the ocean side. Stay away from Beau Beau's, too noisy.
2 Thank DjoyPearsall
Chester, Virginia
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I had a great vacation! The property was average (could be better). Some units are in need of a serious remodel to ensure that the property doesn't show its age. Other units are REALLY nice. I switched to a new unit during my stay, had no problems doing so and really enjoyed the scenery. The people at the resort and surrounding restaurants were absolutely amazing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a beach view or a marina view. I can attest that the beach view rooms were bett...
1 Thank GenT99
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We arrived here on Saturday June 21st, and were greeted with Champagne and appetizers. Check in was seamless, and in fact they originally had us in a marine view room, and we asked them if they had an ocean view room, and they switched us right away. The staff here are very, very friendly. The pool is amazing, the ocean is warm, restaurants are vey good. We have enjoyed our stay! The only odd item, is the pool towel policy. They give you several towels, but only do it once a day, so if you have been to the beach, and your towel is sandy, and then want to go to the pool you are stuck with the same towel. There is no place to exchange them, and if you ask, they will do it, but also tell you they only do it once a day. So we had to plan carefully how we were using our towels. If that is the worst thing, it's really not that big a deal.
All in all a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an ocean view. It's really beautiful!
2 Thank Robin K
Douglasville, Georgia
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We recently returned from a week’s stay at Oyster Bay Resort. I must say we had a wonderful time. We had a studio room 2120 with a view of the ocean which was perfect. They have plenty of daily activities to do which is listed in a print out that comes in your welcome package upon arrival. I would highly recommend the island tour for all fist time visitors. The tour makes a stop at Orient Beach. The meals were a little expensive; we went out in town and got groceries. There’s a nice little store outside the compound that make the best French pastries daily. The store also is expensive; they sale Tide pods for a dollar, so bring your own. I would also recommend renting a car to explore the island more. Going to the beach by the airport and watching the plans land was exciting. Everyone at the resort was very nice, I would like to thank; Mark-Beau Beau’s, Irlan-Activities desk, Felix-greater and Jill.

2 Thank lrs1000
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Oyster Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!