“The most enjoyable vacation ever.”

Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Oyster Pond
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Excellent staff and management as well as an awesome location. As with any extended trip away from home, unexpected issues will always come up. The difference with this resort Is that those issues are handled promptly, professionally, and courteously. They actually mean it when they welcome you to the resort by saying "welcome home". It feels like my home in the islands.

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank Bbbbrad
Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here in early August 2012. As for the person on the last review the pool needed some TLC! I hope they resurfaced the pool and pressure cleaned the decks and pool chairs and tables it really was not very clean The restaurants on site were quite good especially Big Fish! The ceviche is to die for. Definately need to rent a car, reasonably priced. Our room was fair but right over the live music at Bo Bo's. A little loud some nights. Overall the staff was nice and friendly and I will visit again. Resort needs some updating but beautiful location. Beach is ok, recommend driving up to Orient Bay..... beautiful and fun! Do not miss Maho Bay. Loved St Maarten can't wait to visit again!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank pm1003
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We arrived in St Maarten on Thurs Sept 27, so for two days we stayed high on a hill side in a studio called Chez Maryse, on French side. we could see the Island like we never had before.We have been to SXM 5 times but have never stayed in this area. On Sat sept 29th we checked into OBBR, I had done a timeshare trade. It was the last week of Owner appreciation week, and boy what a party it was. From the moment we arrived we were treated as family or friends. I had written ahead to the reservation desk to request a lower unit or to be in a bldg with an elevator due to recent knee and shoulder replacements. We were given a second floor room in the Mainsail pavillion bldg with and elevator..and as a bonus it was ocean view!..The room was newly rennovated and was beautiful.I loved all the soft fluffy pillows; the balcony facing the ocean with a view of St Barts gave us a world of Photo opporunities. Shortly after arrival we were given a bottle of wine by a sales staff member , Julie, who was so friendly and very helpful during our entire stay.
There were many promotions available, trips, and dining specials. The pool was being rennovated but arrangements had been made to shuttle guests to another close by resort to swim. The folks at OBBR seemed to go out of the way to try to make your stay enjoyable. It was a resort with lots to offer, the resturants were close and all pretty good...there were free drinks at many of the gatherings and appetizers....This was a very relaxing place to spend a week. The beach was beautiful and we loved Mr Busby's and also liked the evening meal when he transformed into Danials by the sea. The Infinity resturant had fantastic breakfast buffets.
I guess to sum this place up and how much we enjoyed ourselves, all I need to say is we became owners!
thanks to everyone for a fantastice time at OOBR!, Bob abd Ginny Long

Room Tip: Ask for help or make the staff aware of any special needs, a nice young man helped us unload and get...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Ginnylong1947
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We went there looking for just a beach and book time. While we had that option, there were too many things to do at the resort. We didn't want to miss all the fun! The food at the resort was amazing, actually everywhere we went was awesome. We didn't have a car, but there was enough within walking distance to enjoy. The staff was so friendly and made us feel like we were home. They knew our name by day 2, they really went out of their way to help with anything we needed. The views from the resort were post card quality. The location to the french side was helpful, as it seems the best beaches are located there (from what I can tell, it was only my first time). There was a lot of sea weed at the beach, and the pool was closed, but the resort made up for it with a alternative pool and a beach party. Check out this resort... we already planned our trip back for next year!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bostonfan00
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at OBBR Sept. 15 - 22 and brought 2 other couples. We exchanged through Interval for 3 (1) bedroom units. We ended up with 3 beautiful units overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Two of the units were freshly renovated and looked to be out of a magazine. The view from these rooms are absolutely gorgeous! It really did feel like a home. It was approx. 650 square feet. Everything in the kitchen was brand new. It was so nice to make coffee each morning and sit on the balcony. The air conditioning worked great and I thought the bed was firm but comfortable. The bedding was clean and crisp. Maid service was great.

We ate at Infinity every morning for the breakfast buffet and we were well taken care of by Tracy, Theresa and Dahlia (some of the wait staff). The pool was closed for most of our stay but Dawn beach is only a 2 min. walk and sooo beautiful. No seaweed either. We ate lunch at Busby's on the days we were at Dawn beach. The food there is very good, nice thin crust pizza, and very good burgers too. The resort had a lot of activities/parties going on but we mostly did our own thing. We did rent a car and saw a lot of the island.

I would go back there in a minute. I loved the quaint, small size of the place. Everywhere at the resort is just a short walk.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cindy P
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Spent a week at OBBR last week. Great place for relaxing. Positives are very nice one bedroom with a great view of the bay; close to Orient Beach; great hospitality; good restaurants withing walking distance. Areas for improvement: maintenance work for stage setup and stage tear down happened just outside our unit very early in the morning and woke us up both days; the front desk staff is very good but they should smile more and appear to enjoy their work. I expect the staff to be very happy to see me, I wonder if I am really welcomed when the staff doesn't appear to be happy. Beau Beau's is very nice even if the service is a bit slow. The Infinity restaurant had great service!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChiefG
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We came here as an Interval swap, of a 1 bedroom, and got a studio. That was fine as far as size, but it was in the middle building facing the ocean, and we only had a sliver of water view through the buildings across the street. Furthermore, we were on the 1st floor right above the employees area - which was good and bad. Bad was they were always in and out of there so it was noisy at times, but the good was if we needed anything, it was promptly taken care of! To that I will also say that all employees were very helpful, and especially Margarita who took such good care of us. We had enough room for the 2 of us, except the bathroom which had NO counter space. But we did have hot water with good pressure, the a/c ran too cold, and there was no way to adjust it higher - so we just cut off as needed. The complex is huge, but there was never a problem with a lot of noise - very relaxed. Food near by (I wrote separate reviews) worked well for us. We didn't use the pool - I only went there at sunrise to get the most gorgeous pics! Unbelievable across the infinity pool. We were lucky we did not have a bad seaweed problem while we stayed - just a little. I loved the beach - never had a problem getting a chaise, and Jeremiah was so sweet and kind, and always made sure I was well taken care of - plus he has the sweetest little boy! The snorkeling was good, but not great - didn't really see much that knocked my fins off. So, I will say, if you are looking for something that is relaxed and out of the way, you would not be disappointed with OBBR. If I go back again, this would be my choice.
A few things for 1st time travelers (such as myself) to St Maarten & OBBR:
- Rent a car - you will need it. We used Thrifty, and it went well, but make sure to get a map when picking up the car because you will need it. I was dumb enough to think my Google directions would get us from airport to resort, but without any street signs at all, it was based on intuition. We rented a mini (which worked great for us), but there were times I was afraid it would fall into a pot hole - LOL Roads are narrow, not in good shape, and if you drive up to the French side on the east, there was a lot of construction going on, and the road signs were in French - so make sure to look them up before coming. On that same note, we did drive around the island, intending to go to Marigot and Grand Case, but when we got there, the traffic was ridiculous, and there are no signs leading you to parking and what not. Plus, drivers are very aggressive, so if you are like me - nice and kind driver - you will be at intersections forever! Just be prepared. OBBR does offer a bus service there (1-2 nights) and I wish we had tried it.
- Go to Grande Marche grocery store on Bush Road. You will pass it coming in from the airport. Good food and selection (except seafood), carts, and they bag your groceries and put them in your car. Prices are in Guilders, so basically look at the price and divide by half for US. They do accept c/c. Tip the bag people. (On a side note, I heard from a fellow passenger that he went to a grocery store on the French side, and they had no carts, and no bags)
- 1st day of check in, instead of heading back to town for supplies, just walk to the pier and go the grocery store. It is not huge, but you can get the basics, and they even have my favorite: Desperado beer - flavored with Tequila - yummy! A great place, with decent prices.
Sorry to go on for so long, but I did love this resort! If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer any I can - from a 1st timers view.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front (any level) and you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Oyster Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!