Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Princess Heights Hotel(Oyster Pond)(Great Value!)
$130
Hotel La Plantation(Orient Bay)(Great Value!)
$160
Esmeralda Resort(Orient Bay)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
1,250 results
All reviewsinfinity restaurantoystersdawn beachtime sharebeau beausmarina sideseaweed problembig fishthe activities deskocean viewrental cargrand caserestaurants within walking distancegrocery storest maartenfrench borderconcierge desk
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at OBBR Sept. 15 - 22 and brought 2 other couples. We exchanged through Interval for 3 (1) bedroom units. We ended up with 3 beautiful units overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Two of the units were freshly renovated and looked to be out of a magazine. The view from these rooms are absolutely gorgeous! It really did feel like a home. It was approx. 650 square feet. Everything in the kitchen was brand new. It was so nice to make coffee each morning and sit on the balcony. The air conditioning worked great and I thought the bed was firm but comfortable. The bedding was clean and crisp. Maid service was great.

We ate at Infinity every morning for the breakfast buffet and we were well taken care of by Tracy, Theresa and Dahlia (some of the wait staff). The pool was closed for most of our stay but Dawn beach is only a 2 min. walk and sooo beautiful. No seaweed either. We ate lunch at Busby's on the days we were at Dawn beach. The food there is very good, nice thin crust pizza, and very good burgers too. The resort had a lot of activities/parties going on but we mostly did our own thing. We did rent a car and saw a lot of the island.

I would go back there in a minute. I loved the quaint, small size of the place. Everywhere at the resort is just a short walk.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cindy P
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Spent a week at OBBR last week. Great place for relaxing. Positives are very nice one bedroom with a great view of the bay; close to Orient Beach; great hospitality; good restaurants withing walking distance. Areas for improvement: maintenance work for stage setup and stage tear down happened just outside our unit very early in the morning and woke us up both days; the front desk staff is very good but they should smile more and appear to enjoy their work. I expect the staff to be very happy to see me, I wonder if I am really welcomed when the staff doesn't appear to be happy. Beau Beau's is very nice even if the service is a bit slow. The Infinity restaurant had great service!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChiefG
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We came here as an Interval swap, of a 1 bedroom, and got a studio. That was fine as far as size, but it was in the middle building facing the ocean, and we only had a sliver of water view through the buildings across the street. Furthermore, we were on the 1st floor right above the employees area - which was good and bad. Bad was they were always in and out of there so it was noisy at times, but the good was if we needed anything, it was promptly taken care of! To that I will also say that all employees were very helpful, and especially Margarita who took such good care of us. We had enough room for the 2 of us, except the bathroom which had NO counter space. But we did have hot water with good pressure, the a/c ran too cold, and there was no way to adjust it higher - so we just cut off as needed. The complex is huge, but there was never a problem with a lot of noise - very relaxed. Food near by (I wrote separate reviews) worked well for us. We didn't use the pool - I only went there at sunrise to get the most gorgeous pics! Unbelievable across the infinity pool. We were lucky we did not have a bad seaweed problem while we stayed - just a little. I loved the beach - never had a problem getting a chaise, and Jeremiah was so sweet and kind, and always made sure I was well taken care of - plus he has the sweetest little boy! The snorkeling was good, but not great - didn't really see much that knocked my fins off. So, I will say, if you are looking for something that is relaxed and out of the way, you would not be disappointed with OBBR. If I go back again, this would be my choice.
A few things for 1st time travelers (such as myself) to St Maarten & OBBR:
- Rent a car - you will need it. We used Thrifty, and it went well, but make sure to get a map when picking up the car because you will need it. I was dumb enough to think my Google directions would get us from airport to resort, but without any street signs at all, it was based on intuition. We rented a mini (which worked great for us), but there were times I was afraid it would fall into a pot hole - LOL Roads are narrow, not in good shape, and if you drive up to the French side on the east, there was a lot of construction going on, and the road signs were in French - so make sure to look them up before coming. On that same note, we did drive around the island, intending to go to Marigot and Grand Case, but when we got there, the traffic was ridiculous, and there are no signs leading you to parking and what not. Plus, drivers are very aggressive, so if you are like me - nice and kind driver - you will be at intersections forever! Just be prepared. OBBR does offer a bus service there (1-2 nights) and I wish we had tried it.
- Go to Grande Marche grocery store on Bush Road. You will pass it coming in from the airport. Good food and selection (except seafood), carts, and they bag your groceries and put them in your car. Prices are in Guilders, so basically look at the price and divide by half for US. They do accept c/c. Tip the bag people. (On a side note, I heard from a fellow passenger that he went to a grocery store on the French side, and they had no carts, and no bags)
- 1st day of check in, instead of heading back to town for supplies, just walk to the pier and go the grocery store. It is not huge, but you can get the basics, and they even have my favorite: Desperado beer - flavored with Tequila - yummy! A great place, with decent prices.
Sorry to go on for so long, but I did love this resort! If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer any I can - from a 1st timers view.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front (any level) and you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Redhead64
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We' have been going to OBBR for 8 years. We have made many friends thru out the years. The resort itself is relaxing and inviting. Can't say enough about the employees, there genuinely caring and so thoughtful. I consider many of them as family. When we are at the resort, we just feel like we are home. The food, drinks and great entertainment are just a bonus. We like coming off season..........the slower pace, we are never in a hurry.

Room Tip: I think of it as home and I like to have the extra room. I love to listen to the ocean and sit and watch it. I guess I can say I love the ocean side.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I have been home a little over a week now and looking at our photos make us homesick; were ready to fly back right now. We have never been at OYS. during off season and to be there during the Owner's Appreciation weeks was something very new to us. Arriving at the front desk and continuing to meet all of the "family" is just one continual happy moment. The plans and the execution by the staff for our two weeks never stopped being wonderful. From the Sunday orientation to the Monday night welcome party everything was well delivered. When we received a call in early July 2012 that the "Pool" was being closed for about seven days of our visit we were not happy. The Beach has had a seaweed problem for quite a while and the infinity pool is certainly very enjoyable. Well, I must say that negative Upper Management changed that around quickly. Not only did all of the guests receive a cash credit a pool at Princess Heights was secured for us with a front desk sign-in sheet and calls to our room to make us very aware. Not only was that done but they had a shuttle service to and from the Hotel. How much better does it get! The parties at the Beaches were Great. At Orient Beach we were treated like royalty by the O.B.B.R.. staff and by La Playa beachfront restaurant staff. Food,service,location was just wonderful. The parties at the resort on Friday nights were hosted by thee "Man" King Beau-Beau-his energy was incredible at all the parties and the one on thursday in Phillipsburg establish him as the "King" of the Beach... The staff never stopped trying to give appreciation to the owners, guests and exchangers as a past experience. My only concerns were two items(1) I do not know if the liquor stop on the way to the beach party was a necessary move and from what i gathered most guests would have rather gone straight to the Beach Party.-(2) Any situation that did occur with a guest seem to focus on an getaway,exchanger a non-owner. It seems at times between the Heat and Drinking some guests and most are Ladies and Gentlemen forget there manners and start displaying poor judgement when interacting with the staff and other guests. Our feeling is OBBR is not about that. Please dont ruin it for others. The Upper Management with the Home Office in Blue Bell Pa. should be congratulated for a job well done and to that end to all the staff. And, by the way Ricardo and AnneMarie how did you get rid of the seaweed? My wife and I can not wait to go back and this is from one of the oldest in terms of ownership at the resort. Were #5 in terms of return on a Dollar but in our hearts and mind your #1!

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views ocean or marina.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple