“Best meal in st martin”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Best meal in st martin”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I must give it up to Canoa, the 5 star rating is well deserved. My newly minted husband had the porkchop (juicy and flavorful, best porkchop hes had. Right up there with nopa in sf). And I had the oysterpond seafood linguine. Portions are very generous here, but we still managed to clean off our plates! Sadly left no room for dessert. I'm staying at princess heights, and walked down the hill, but not walking friendly at all. My husband had a flashlight on his phone and waved it in the air as we walked for safety. There should be a walking road from westin and PH to oyster pond restaurants.

From my week stay in anguilla and week stay in st martin on the french side, canoa was my favorite meal of the trip!

New York City, New York
“Rated #1 in Oyster Pond and deserving of it”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed at the Westin and needed to find local dinning alternatives. Found several choices on Trip Advisor and was glad to have them. Canoa listed as #1 was very good in different ways. The food was quite good. The owner and the hostess paid attention to each table and any comments or suggestions were considered and acted upon. Nice atmosphere on waterfront setting. Service was on slow side but this is not New York. It's so close to the Westin and so much better getting out of the hotel is a no brainer. For anyone nearby interested in quality dinning and concerned ownership give Canoa a try.

York, Pennsylvania
“Great dinner, Fresh Fish!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Great meal, great service, and you can sit on the water. We reserved a table outside on the water and enjoyed the view up into the hills and the villas all lit up at night. Waitress was wonderful and everyone was so friendly.
Make a point of eating here if you are n the Oyster Pond/Dawn Beach area!

• Visited November 2013
Burke, Virginia
“Canoa has great food”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We were glad we checked out Canoa on our last night on the island. It's food is really delicious. If you call for outdoor seating, its worth it, the views are great and you can see the fish and crabs in the pond active at night. If you stay near dawn beach, you have to visit Canoa.

new york
“The best restaurant on this side of the Island”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

If you are staying in this area, there really aren't many restaurant options. You really have to go to the French side for good food. But since we were staying in this remote area, we were so relieved to find Canoa. We are spoiled New Yorkers, and tend to be very critical since restaurants are a way of life in NY. We dined at Canoa once just my husband and I, but then brought our 2 kids and babysitter back a second time in our one week stay in St. Maarten. Great salads. Great fish. Everything is prepared beautifully. The chefs pay attention to detail. I had the grilled grouper. Excellent. My husband and I were able to order their tropical salad, greek salad, and wedge salads between the two nights we dined, and they were all amazing. I really wished they were open for lunch for this reason. I wanted great salads with fresh fish for lunch. Could not find it anywhere in this area. It's all chicken and ribs and heavy caesar salads. When I'm on the ocean, I want fresh fish. There is also this other odd thing happening in this part of the island: Italian food everywhere--really really really bad italian food on every menu. Who wants eggplant parm in the Carribean? Canoa sticks to local fare with a NY flair. I tried the plantain appetizer that everyone raves about.
The only negative statement I'll make (because I would eat here every day of my vacation), is that this app tried too hard. There was a lot going on in this dish between sweet plantains, tangy tomato sauce, salty parmasan cheese, and heavy ground beef. It was so heavy, I was glad I was only having a salad with mahi mahi as my main course (which was perfect). We ate at neighboring restaurants which charged the same as Canoa, but were highly disappointing. Service wise--a little slow. This is not coming from people demanding everything in a new york minute either. Both times I ordered Chardonnay, and both times it was forgotten. The wait staff (although lovely and friendly) are not the most organized. In New York, great restaurants are ALWAYS on top of what you are drinking--eager to get you wine/liquor since these are huge money makers for a restaurant. I was begging for a second glass of chardonnay both visits. I guess you just really have to give in to the whole laid back carribean culture. Eat here. You will not be disappointed!

• Visited November 2013