“Food was good. Beware of being overcharged!!”
Review of Canoa

Canoa
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Oyster Pond
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had a reservation and they had our table waiting. we were seated in the back corner by the dish washing station with boats blocking our view. With a reservation we were expecting a better table. The wait staff was pleasant but a bit arrogant. The service was horrible. Our waitress forgot our drink order??? Really? Then disappeared forever. Our food came and most loved it! I had the red snapper and it was delicious. My wife had it also but it didn't make an impression with her. The water we wanted was TAP water and they have good water there but insisted we have the bottled water. It started to rain and the outdoor table dont have any coverage so we dshed inside. Luckily we were finished. So we asked for our bill. They gave us our bill and had overcharged us more than $90??? Really?? WOW??? So I asked told them what we had and asked them to redo it.. Again overcharging us... I had to add it up for them item by item and finally we got it right. Now needless to say I am not a very happy customer... BEWARE OF YOUR BILL AND BEING OVERCHARGED HERE!!! The food was great so when people at our resort asked where to eat close by because they didnt have a car I mentioned we had a very good meal at Canoa But the service wasn't the best and be sure to check your bill if you go. They wnet and were also overcharged!!

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Service, service, service! I would have to say that the service at Canoa is one of the best we've experienced dining in St Maarten. My husband and I are "foodies" and treat ourselves to "fine" dining often and the food at Canoa is comparable to many great restaurants we've visited.

2  Thank Nathania S
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Chef Owner Sherman does a wonderful job in managing this waterfront restaurant at Oyster Pond. A longtime chef on the island, he brings "just good food" with the expected Caribbean touch but truly good continental flare. Service is quite good and you should enjoy an evening in this lovely waterside spot.

1  Thank TechYellowJacket
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is very close to our hotel, the Westin. We found everyone to be very friendly and even with out a reservation we still got a table. The Mahi was great, but even better were the Flambe Plantains! The second visit I had the Shrimp in Coconut Sauce , better than the coconut shrimp anywhere else! Desserts also very good! Try to get a table on the water if possible.

1  Thank IBJosey
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stopped to check out their menu as we enjoyed our evening stroll, although we already had dining plans. Before we left, however, we both spotted interesting pasta dishes and after a brief conversation with staff, made reservations for another evening and were rewarded with a ticket for two complimentary cocktails to be used with two dinners. We were not at all disappointed with the excellent dockside table, enjoying fresh evening trade wind breezes and a great marina view. Our dinners were excellent and portions were large, so much so that we took my wife's remaining seafood pasta back to our unit at Oyster Bay and split it for dinner on our veranda the next evening! We also recommended Canoa to friends who had similar very positive experiences. We will definitely return!

1  Thank SXMfoodie612