“No more than adequate”

Description: Captain Oliver's
Westchester County, NY
“No more than adequate”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The food was OK, but all seemed prepared far in advance. There was nothing original or memorable about it.

Visited January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City, New York
“Basic, Simple food”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is a really big place and great for groups. Was kind of empty when we went.

The noodles we got were egg noodles (strange) and the pasta sauce was clearly from a can... after eating a bunch of heavy french food though- this was kind of nice.

It's very basic food (ie - the salad we got was literally just lettuce - granted that seemed to be a theme for salads on the island, but still)

The banana split we had for dessert was amazing. Not the place you go for fine dining on the island, but a great place for simple eating and probably good for families with kids.

Visited December 2013
New York, NY
“Great location but mixed food and service”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We ate here on our first night and in the restaurant's defense, the weather was very windy and rainy. Undoubtedly this impacted the atmosphere and our experience. Our two soups were very good as were the toast points and garlic aioli served with them. However, both of us ordered the snapper and the filets were overcooked. The sauce helped a little but the fish was just dry. The service was competent but without any interest in us or any warmth. I would give it another try with a table by the water and stick to simpler dishes.

• Visited December 2013
Somewhere between East and West
“Saturday's all you can eat buffet is a must.”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We arrived at our villa rental late Saturday afternoon after a long day traveling with the family. The villa manager suggested dinner at Captain Oliver's. It is literally on the water next to the marina where the ferry from St Barth's comes in.
Saturday is buffet night, all you can eat. The food is superb and such a huge selection from salads to sushi, fish to roasts and a multitude of deserts.
The service was excellent, used plates were removed immediately and the buffet was always being replenished.
I found it excellent value for a family of six, including growing and extremely hungry kids.
The live music was an added bonus, the singer has an amazing voice with a huge range and a multi lingual repertoire. He is there every Saturday.
Talking with the staff I found that many had been there several years, always a sign of a quality restaurant.
My family and I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
Oklahoma City, OK
“Beautiful view / everything else average.”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I were hungry for lunch and wanted to try someplace new but convenient to The Dawn Beach Club where we were staying. We had noticed Captain Oliver's before & decided to give it a try.

The best thing about it is the lovely view from the marina. This is an outdoor white tablecloth restaurant so it was quite a contrast to have the resort pool plexiglass wall right up against the restaurant area. There were several children loudly playing & splashing around - I was afraid a lady at the closest table was going to get wet.

The service was mediocre and was split between a waiter & waitress. Possibly we caused a problem because we had to change tables after out first one got too sunny & hot but the problems seemed to be more related to language comprehension & timely service.

My husband & I both ordered the grouper sandwich. The menu said it came with choice of one side and the menu listed about 6 side choices. My husband wanted French fries - that was easy. The waiter kept telling us that it came with either fries or salad & anything else cost extra. I said that I didn't want French fries - I wanted the fried plantains & the menu said you had a choice of one side. When our meals were delivered mine did come with fried plantains (4 small pieces) that were very good & fortunately the bill did not include an extra $3.50 charge for the plantains.

The buns on both our sandwiches were soft & fresh but my husband was disappointed in the amount of grouper he received. The sandwiches were good but not special.

While eating my husband decided a beer would taste good so he asked the waitress if they had Amstel Light. She didn't know & he wasn't sure if she understood so added that Heineken would be fine if they didn't have Amstel Light. A few minutes later, she brought him a bottle of each. She was surprised he didn't want both when he kept the Amstel & have her back the Heineken.

It was nice that Captain Oliver's did not automatically add the 15% service charge to the bill but instead allowed the customer to decide,

Not the best place we ate but not the worst either.

2 Thank Finance Director