“Outstanding dive resort experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Compass Point Dive Resort

Compass Point Dive Resort
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Portola Valley, California
“Outstanding dive resort experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

Went to Grand Cayman with four friends for 5 day four night trip focussed on diving. Chose East End location to be away from crowds of 7 mile beach. Heard good things about dive operator Ocean Frontiers and Compass Point on TripAdvisor and other places. We rented 2 2 bedroom condos so each could have own bedroom. The condos were very comfortable with kitchen, ac, tv etc. View from the rooms was great overlooking the ocean. Very short walk to the pier and dive boat. Ocean Frontiers did a great job with diving. Took our equipment after first day and everything was cleaned and ready the next day. Dive guides were knowledgeable and safety conscious. Dives were excellent. Would definitely recommend and go again. Only downside which isn't much is that there is no restaurant on site so buy food in town on way to resort, and there are some good restaurants close by. You will need a car.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank jrlpvca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

Two years ago I sang your praises. Your owners have made a big mistake in cutting back on expected supplies like shampoo and soap, dish washing detergent and laundry detergent; services like mopping floors and cleaning bathroom daily. In this climate, mildew and germs grow fast. The warm rooms only help them grow. It is a lot cheaper to maintain than to restore.I would be reluctant to recommend the condos to a friend. I will defintely dive again with Ocean Frontieres, but I would be reluctant to return myself.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wannagodiving
Joplin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

We dive every 4 months, and nowhere in the Caribbean have we seen such service and safety on a dive boat. Gear is set up rinsed and stored daily. Assistance at any level needed. The staff is funny, knowledgable, friendly. The boats are custom designed for diving. It was pure pleasure to be with them.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

My wife and I had been planning an "adults only" trip to Grand Cayman, but decided to take our two teenagers (aged 13 and 16) when Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers ran their "Kids Stay and Dive Free" special. It was a great deal and a great place to stay/dive. The East End sites were pristine, and the kids got to do swim-throughs (which they'd never done before) to their hearts' content. I had extended the special to 7 nites/6 days diving, and we must have done at least three swim-throughs on each of the 12 events. And while my kids are getting to be better divers (these 12 took their logbooks to around 30 dives), I also appreciated the no current dive conditions, which makes it much easier to keep everyone together. I wouldn't feel as comfortable taking them to Cozumel.

The Ocean Frontiers operation proved to be everything that Trip Advisor reviewers rave about... friendly, very professional, and ultra-accomodating with their gear set-up service. I've read many reviews that say the service will make it tough to go anywhere else again, and I have to agree... what a huge difference to not be dragging all of our gear back to room and rinsing/hanging all over the balcony. The only things we dragged back and forth were my camera and our regs... and I'm sure the regs would have been fine to leave, but since they were pretty expensive I just felt better having them under my control.

Aside from the great diving, the Compass Point room also deserves high marks. Spotlessly clean, well-appointed, and an easy fit with the kids on the murphy beds. Because of the high prices locally we followed others' advise and brought a lot of items with us from home (dry food, coffee, laundry supplies, etc.). This allowed us to eat the majority of our meals in, which not olnly saved money but also prevented some of the overeating that we tend to do at the all-inclusives. We had two dinners out, and both places we tried matched the reviews we'd read beforehand... Portofino's was very nice but quite expensive, while Over the Edge was good food, reasonably priced, but incredibly slow service.

So bottom line - a great place to stay, wonderful dive operation and dive staff, and phenominal diving. I'd recommend it to any serious diver, although not so much to a non-diver due to the resort's singular purpose. We're already considering a return trip next summer, but if they offer up the kid deal again I'd sign up today.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Shorewood, MN.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

My teenage son and I stayed here recently and loved it! It is a dedicated dive resort, connected to Ocean Frontiers Dive shop. Our one bedroom condo was clean and well appointed with a terrific view of the ocean. A little noisy as it was right next to the dive shop, with all the clanging of scuba tanks. Didn't bother us but if that would bother you, ask for a room further away from the shop. A/C was a little weak but acceptable. The staff of the resort and dive shop were helpful and friendly. Diving on the east end was excellent! Been to Grand Cayman many times but have never stayed on the east end. Would never even consider staying on the crowded west end ever again!

• Stayed July 2009
2 Thank redheadscuba
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2009

Wow i'm back already from the most amazing trip ever to the Caymans and it was the best. Diving was supreme especially a place called "Ironshore Gardens where you get to swim through a whole bunch of tunnels and crevases.

Compass Point was the best resort ever because are room was a suite with everything, a kitchen, bathroom, jet bathtub and a bedroom, i slept on a murphy bed in the living room. The staff were very friendly including my dive teacher and all the guys that I dived with: Bryan, Mark, Brad and every one else. I mostly dived on the Nati Cat ( a catamaran) but there were two others, the Ocean Hawk and Eastern Skies.

I left a driftwood sign on the post one day and it said, Ryan Haydon, Ottawa Ontario, how far it is and also my website. If you are on vacation you are going to love the resort and diving, I reccomend that you ask your boat operator to take you to Ironshore Gardens, it is the best dive site that I have ever been too and I have been to quite a few

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank rhaydon51
Johnstown, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

This was our first stay at Compass Point, but not our last. Everything about the property was pretty close to perfect for us. The East end location is perhaps somewhat less popular, but don't tell anyone! :) It's great! The room was spacious, attractive, clean, comfortable, nice kitchen and bath with a great bed, and all with an incredible view. The diving was excellent, and we've never been treated better. Their service is unmatched. A great vacation!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,514 reviews
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,836 reviews
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
#3 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,633 reviews

Been to Compass Point Dive Resort? Share your experiences!