“Cayman Island Vacation at it's best”

Compass Point Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in East End
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was my first trip to the Cayman Islands and knowing nothing about where to stay but knowing that the trip was intended to enjoy scuba diving, searching the internet I located Compass Point. It seemed to have all of the basic requirements for the perfect trip and it certainly was. We wanted a kitchen in order to avoid needing to go out to restaurants and Compass Point offered a full kitchen fully stocked with any cooking utensil we needed. Waking up to the sunrise just outside the balcony was wonderful. The resort is very quiet at night which we wanted, it was a bit of a drive from the airport and most shopping but was well worth it. I do recommend stopping at the grocery store before arrival and pick up the basic necessities. The condo comes with a roll of paper towels, laundry detergent for one quick load but no fabric softener. They also supply facial tissue and toilet paper but you may want to pick up a few rolls of your preferred brand versus the hotel quality that they supply. The diving was the best I have ever experienced. The dive boats are literally just outside your door. The staff was very attentive and all were well trained and very concerned for your safety while diving. The 4 dives we took with Ocean Frontiers, the dive operation associated with the resort were absolutely beautiful and better than I could have imagined. There are approximately 55 dive sites on the east end and I can hardly wait to come back to see more. If you are not interested in the crowds and want a nice relaxing vacation centered around scuba diving, Compass Point is the place to stay. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara N

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just spent a week at Ocean Frontiers, Compass point Dive Resort at East End, Grand Cayman and simply put, could not have had a better time! EVERYONE, from reservations, to check-in, to dive masters, to their in house professional photographer were TERRIFIC. I was in a one bedroom ocean front condo that was BEAUTIFUL, well stocked, spotlessly clean with a breathtaking view. They have a nice beach and two wonderful pools. The valet service diving was professional, safe, fun and some of the best dive sites. Every morning I'd stop by the office to find out which dive boat I was on, walk down the dock and was immediately greeted with a big good morning, followed by this is where your gear is and it's all set up for you. They just make it so easy and pleasurable. I was on a two tank dive every morning except my last day, last Wednesday when I booked the all day three tank safari which included a stop at Kaibo Yacht Club at Rum Point for Lunch. When I checked out I was given a recap of my diving for the week which included the dive site info of each day with information of who our dive master and boat captain were each day. Just nice for filling in your dive log. It was nice that you got a discount on the additional cost of nitrox the more days you dove with it. Started out at $12.00/tank and ended up at $8.00/tank. At the end of each dive day they take your gear, clean it, rinse it and stow it so it's on the boat, ready to go the next day. Bottom line.....a TOP NOTCH operation from top to bottom. Highly recommended. Everyone I've had the pleasure of diving with on Grand Cayman has been great and Ocean Frontiers, Compass Point ranks right up there at the top!

Room Tip: No bad rooms, even the ones "across" the road are very close and should have a great view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank stevenreichman
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our room was 10 yards from the dive shop and overlooked the water and pier. We'd walk downstairs after having breakfast on our patio and check in with the dive shop. They'd tell us which boat we were on and we'd walk down the pier, get on the boat and the crew would say, "good morning Mr. & Mrs. 'X'; your dive gear is set up right here." After the first day we didn't even wear shoes. Just an u/w camera in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. It was just too easy!

If you're looking for jet skis, parasailing, night life, etcetera this is NOT the place for you! If you want quiet time with your spouse (free cabanas on the property on the beach), this place is awesome!

Room Tip: get a room on the ocean side; the folks across the street party all night in the hot tub and don'...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I just came back from a week long stay at Compass Point. I found the resort perfect for a dive vacation and will return again. If you are not a diver, this is probably not the place for you. This was my first time staying here. My family has a timeshare and we usually stay at Morritt's up the road. The rooms were spacious, clean and the murphy beds in the living room are a perfect touch. I wish more places had them.

If you are not a diver there is not much else to do here. They do have ocean kayaks, bikes and two pools but there is not a real "beach." There is a nice beach a few yards away that you can go to though. I loved the washer and dryer in the units as well as the grills. I am looking forward to my next trip. Sam and Michelle were very helpful at the front desk too.

It is very important to have a car when you stay here. We went to the food store and cooked in a few nights but we also went to Vivine's, Tukka and Over Edge for dinner as well. I recommend all of these (see my other posts for specifics on these). We went to Tukka's for the sunday brunch. It was $29.99CI for the brunch and the food was amazing!!!

If you can get a chance to dive the North Wall I highly recommend it. Ocean Frontiers offers a Safari dive that is 3 tanks and takes you to the north wall by boat. We did this trip once and it was good however we find it better to drive to the west end and use operators on that side. We have used Wall to Wall Diving and Living the Dream. Both are amazing dive operations with only 6-8 divers per boat. We usually dive with ocean frontiers in the am, then drive to the west side for afternoon dives on the north wall or vice versa. It works out really well.

I don't have any complaints just two suggestions. 1) It would be nice if they mopped the rooms each day, every other day or even just halfway through your stay. As of now they just empty the trash, which is helpful but the floor gets dirty too. 2) It would also be nice to have a small fitness center but I realize that since it's a dive resort, it may not be ideal. I tried to go for a run twice and was chased by dogs so that ended my "working out." Maybe just a treadmill or two and some free weights, Nothing too fancy but something.

Overall, I look forward to coming back to Compass Point. Grand Cayman is one of my favorite dive destinations. Everytime I leave, I can't wait to go back and staying here made it easy to dive!!!!!

Room Tip: 1 bedrooms have 1 queen and two twin murphy beds. 2 bedrooms have 2 queens and 2 twin murphy beds.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura H
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My partner and I stayed a wonderful 2 weeks from July 28th - August 11th 2012 at this exceptional dive resort! We had Room 101 ground level, end unit. The room was immaculate in cleanliness, and included everything you could possible need. I slept in bedroom, which had large closet full/queen bed (not sure on size- as I slept alone on it) 2 night stands, dresser. All top quality Broyhill furnishings. Flatscreen in bedroom w DVD player, and safe. Gorgeous artwork/paintings throughout unit. Unit also included washer dryer! YES!!!!!!! Kitchen that is up to date with Stove, Dishwasher, Gargbage Disposal, Refridgerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, and pots, pans, untinsils, etc. They even have small cooler for your use with dishwasher detergent, dish soap, matches, flashlight, laundry detergent....all to get you started. A large size open (to kitchen) living area with very comfortable sofa, and matching chair which swiveled. Also a nice breakfast table. Coffee table, and two end tables, all quality beautiful! Flat screen TV and DVD player in living area.Free Wi-fi All of this PLUS two murphy beds (twin size) that could be pulled down without having to rearrange ANY furniture because unit is so spacious. The other diver with me slept on Murphy bed entire 2 weeks and loved it. All bedding very comfortable. I can not say enough about the quality of every item in our unit. Out unit opened with sliding door to HUGE private balcony which was mere steps from ocean. Balcony had table and seating which we found very relaxing. Just off your personal balcony, lounge chairs available (free) with semi-hut shading if desired. Also hammocks for great afternoon nap! We could not have asked for ANYTHING more regarding the living accommodations.
We stopped on our way to East End of Island to buy groceries (as recommended) because the East End is more remote from the hustle of 7 mile area.
This was a diving drip and we completed nearly 25+ dives! Their diving service is THE BEST WE HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED! When they say "hands free/valet" THEY MEAN IT! You place your items in a crate (which magically appears outside your door) and they care for it your entire stay. When you wake up to dive the next day/time your gear is SET UP ON THE BOAT. Roll out of bed, grab a cup of coffee/eat, make your way to your boat and you are ready to dive. They are safety orientated as top priority with all boats having contact radios, first aid kits, on board oxygen, vinegar to stop the burn if needed from run in w fire coral (THANK YOU-I NEEDED IT ONCE). Rinse tank, separate tank for cameras :), fresh water shower, and bathroom! The staff on the boats are ALL helpful. Brock was an exceptional dive master! You are allowed to dive your computer...there is NO requirement for everyone to surface because someone has sucked all their air! Dive masters would give guided tour (or allowed you, if skilled to venture w your buddy away from group) at the end of tour he/she would signal and point out boat, and you could finish your dive with the boat in sight. TRULY EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE. 2 Ladders per boat, and staff ready to help you at the end of dive. Although it did not affect our trip to a large degree, tropical/hurricane Ernesto was making its way across the Caribbean. Compass Point were the ONLY dive operation on the ENTIRE island that did not pull their boats out of the water. They were vigilant, with the divers safety the priority, in watching the storm. Although the storm kept us out of water for one afternoon and one morning, we were so lucky to be with Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers because they continued to safely let us dive when all other divers on the island were stuck on land. We were so grateful for their willingness to put their divers in the water safely, when nobody else on the island dared to risk their boats thru the storm. If you want to dive pristine reefs without boatfuls of other divers on the site with you, come to Compass Point! If you want gorgeous, quality living arrangements with only steps to your dive boat and be SPOILED, come to Compass Point! If you want to be treated special and as if you are the only diver they have..come to Compass Point! Need I say more? Feel free to contact me with any questions about my experience with these efficient lovely people!

Room Tip: End units are great....ground level 101...quiet and would specifically request this again!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angie F
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a dive trip to Grand Cayman and we stayed at this resort for 8 days. I chose this place because it was a dive resort AND it was on the east end of the island..far away from tourist hotspot Georgetown. I must say we were really happy with our accommodations. We had a kitchen, spa tub, free wi-fi, washer/dryer, beautiful view from our balcony and the most helpful staff I have ever encountered at a dive operation. The boats are excellent and all use the stride-in for ocean entry (my wife hates the back roll). The boats had water, lemonade, towels, fresh water shower, bathroom and plenty of room to spread out. One of our dive guides (Brock) always went out of his way to help. My wife's reg was leaking a little and he took the time to check it and repair it...and we never asked him. THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS TIP YOUR DIVE GUIDES !!! I could go on and on, but you should just go there and enjoy this great place. Also, the wi-fi was acting up for a couple of days and Steve (GM) took the time to offer us a booster and repaired the problem expeditiously.
Some extra info about the island.....buy food from the grocery store and eat in your room. The restaurants on the island are VERY EXPENSIVE ! We ate at an italian place down the street (it was really good) and ordered two pizzas and water (pizzas were about 10') and paid about $60 US. If you like night life be aware at night. There are alot of thugs around the island.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kingpinky
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I twisted my wife's arm so we would stay here for three nights with our little baby so I could dive. She had a good time, I had a great time. The dive operator, Ocean Frontier, is in the development and the pier was about 100 feet from the apartment window. The diving was great and the Ocean Frontier staff were terrific. The apartment was very nice. Extremely clean (and my wife is a stickler for this.) Spacious living room. 2nd bedroom and bathroom was locked off. TV and remote worked. Nice view from windows. Balcony outside. So what wasn't perfect? Well, not much. But you need to know that an East End vacation is not like a West Bay vacation. There's not a lot to do out there (other than dive) or places to go. Of course, the other side of the island is only 40 minutes away but do you really want to commute when you're on vacation. It's quiet out there, which is good or bad, depending on what you're looking for. There's a Fosters but it's small compared to the West Side Fosters (basics plus a bit more.) There's a handful of restaurants (scores on the West Side.) Then again, there's little traffic (lots on the West Side.) If you want to read a book in the peace and quiet when you're not diving this is heaven. If you're looking for "action" (discos, bars) then this isn't for you. The staff were friendly. A/C worked well. Kitchen in top shape.

Room Tip: The road is quiet but I'd stay the Ocean side of it (there's part of the development at the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Compass Point Dive Resort? Share your experiences!