“If you are a diver...you will be spoiled”

Compass Point Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in East End
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 21, 2007

Spoiled! I am so spoiled now. We arrived...they whisked our gear to their area to go on the boat in the morning. When we loaded onto the boat, our gear was setup on the tanks, etc. Diving in GC is PHOENOMINAL... we took our BCs off and they put them on our second tanks. After the dive, we took our gear off, placed it into a crate with our names attached to them; and they brought it back to their gear area. They then rinsed and hung to dry and had it ready the next day....where they did the same thing: setup the gear, etc. All of the dives had the option of being guided (which I fully recommend ...to see all of the hidden treasures and swim throughs, etc). The staff was great... the condo was perfect.. All of the amenities were there to be able to cook good meals...including a recipe book! The tubs have jets in case you wish to have a hot tub...
Only complaint: we went there when the were replacing their dock. It was noisy during the day with the construction. We couldn't really take advantage of the beach. But we spent so much time under water...we were too exhausted to care too much about that anyway. This was just a timing thing. This would not be the case 2 months from now.
I would stay nowhere else in Grand Cayman. Its in a remote part of the island, which gives you a more 'local' feel. We drove into Georgetown and we fully confirmed that we made the right choice. Georgetown is hustle and bustle with HUGE hotel after HUGE hotel. Just another ugly city. Where Compass Point is located, there is nothing around except for beautiful foliage and small restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank peanuts1013

Reviewed August 23, 2007

Everyone at Ocean Frontiers Diving was professional and friendly. They took care of everything and were genuinely concerned about our satisfaction and safety. The condo was perfect in everyway, fully equipped and all systems worked. The only issue was the "housekeeper" who literally only wiped the kitchen counter and made the beds...nothing else! She didn't even load the diswasher or clean any other table top, ie: dining table, coffee table, bathroom counters.......although it was clearly stated on the little card on the counter, she still could have done more than the very minimal effort she put out. Aside from this very minor item, everyone was helpful and genuine. I'd reccomend them without question.

4  Thank ScubaDiver57
Reviewed August 2, 2007

Just returned from seven night six day dive trip and can positively say that it doesn't get any better. We had terrific time. Condo at Compass Point was great. The dive staff at Ocean Frontiers were totally professional and knowledgeable. Safety of divers was totally addressed. Will definitedly be looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank INDiver
Reviewed July 2, 2007

There is absolutely no downside to this property or the dive experience. I was here for five days before going to LC to dive. When I travel I tend to keep my expectations low and my hopes high. I can say that I had one of the best times of my travel life. I don't usually return to the same place as there are so many sites to see, but in the case of Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers, I will go back and drag all my dive friends with me. The diving was spectacular from the walls to hovering over the reefs. The crew was so fun and helpful. The accomodations were perfect. The balconies open onto the water so you can watch the boats loading in the morning and just walk down and jump on. Very few transactions take place....time away from hustle. People were here to dive, leaving the buffets and bowls to the other side of the island. You have wheels if you book the room and diving as a package so you are mobile if you want to explore.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Evie_K
Reviewed June 19, 2007

I would recommend this resort for anyone looking for a great dive vacation. Our group consisted of divers with skills ranging from first open water dive to dive instructor. Everyone had a wonderful experience. The staff at the resort were helpful and friendly. The dive guides were outstanding. We were amazed with the dive locations we visited. There was something for everyone: beautiful coral heads,walls, barrell sponges, small fish, eels, turtles, swim throughs, rays, & a nurse shark. I would like to especially thank our guides on board the Nauti Cat for unbelievable service and a great atmosphere. You made our trip a memorable one.

Again, I would not hesitate to recommend Compass Point to anyone looking for an excellant dive vacation.

Jeanine

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed May 14, 2007

This is a terrific facility in the East end of Grand Cayman. Beautiful condos/nice little pool/great little beach/outstanding dive operation/decent boats/professional dive staff/friendly office employees. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is serious about diving and likes to be well taken care of. Cadillac service on the dive boats - for those who want it. Give them your gear - and they will do the rest for the week. The whole dive gang NEVER stops moving - it was unbelievable from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. every night! You will definitely need a car to get around - and it is well worth it because there is so much to see and tour for "relaxing" touring at your own pace. Far from the madding crowd. Fabulous diving in the area. Hats off to our Boat Captain Brett and Dive Guide Extraordinatire - Graeme! You guys do the best dive briefings (and drawings) I have seen in 20 years of diving! And you are great fun!!! I'll pass on the good word to as many people as possible. This place is a gem!
KR

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KLAS
Reviewed May 5, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a 6 day stay at Compass Point Dive Resort and we can't say enough great things about this resort. We have never actually stayed at a dive resort before, but now plan to seek out such resorts. Nothing beats being able to walk to the dock from your room and having to spend a max of 25 minutes boating out to the dive site and having your dive equipment on the boat and ready to go. The quality of the diving was awesome. We saw multiple large schools of fish as well as several reef sharks and a sleeping nurse shark in addition to moray eels and turtles. The reef is in great shape and very colorful. Don't miss a trip to Stingray City. The divemasters were extremely professional and unbelievably knowledgeable about the dive sites, often drawing diagrams of the sites from memory. Our divemasters were Graeme, Neil, and Stephan-- all excellent. All of the diveshop staff were very helpful and nice and Kaz, the videographer, did a great job on our dive groups' video and did not get in the way of the dive at all. The condos are very clean, new, and well-stocked with cooking utensils. All units have a view of the ocean. We loved staying on the East End of the island, which was very nice and quiet with a couple of excellent restaurants nearby (The Portofino, The Lighthouse, and Rum Beach). Although the resort is on a main road, I felt completely safe running along it as there is little traffic. The island is very easy to get around if you have a rental car and if you are in the mood for a more active part of the island, it's about a 20-30 minute drive, which is no big deal, to Sunset House on the south side (great bar and food) or 7 mile beach with all of the big resorts. You will not regret it if you got to Grand Cayman to dive and choose to stay at Compass Point! We would not want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Compass Point Dive Resort? Share your experiences!