“Horribly out of date!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morritts Tortuga Club and Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Morritts Tortuga Club and Resort
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Horribly out of date!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at Tortuga Club October 2012 and were disappointed with our experience. The resort is painfully out of date. Our stove and air conditioner blew up during our stay. Try 24 hours in the caribbean with no air conditioning (and an infant who doesn't tolerate the heat). There is new construction going on, so all of your beach photos will be complete with big pieces of equipment in the background. They also have stopped serving food poolside. You must either go to the dock bar or leave the resort for a casual lunch.
On the plus side, pools have actually been maintained very well. They are cleaned every day, including the chairs. Bartenders at the pool bars are fabulous. They definitely helped make our vacation fabulous.
Red Sail Sports/Tortuga Divers in on-site. We did a glass bottom boat tour, went scuba diving and paddleboarding. We were very pleased with their services.

If this resort was updated I would definitely give it another try. Otherwise, it's back to the drawing board!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Shack49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

As we do each year, we prefer to travel the end of October to beginning of November when resorts, restaurants and the like are not as crowded. That is why we picked the East End to stay at because it's not crowded as the 7-mile area. I don't enjoy getting up at the crack of dawn to go to the beach to hold a chair and shade hut. We stayed in a one-bedroom in the last building in the Tortuga area and had ocean front. First of all, unless you want to stay just in the resort for the week, then you don't need a car. If you want to explore and and eat at some great restaurants, you definitely need a car. Taxis are scarce in that end of the island and since you are some distance from most places you will want to go, a taxi can cost a small fortune. We weren't aware of this when we landed at the airport but learned fast when we took a taxi to Morritt's from the airport (they don't provide airport shuttle service) that cost $69 US dollars! Check in at Morritt's is 4pm but then again so are most resorts. We arrived at 3:15 (because we can't plan the airlines schedule to arrive after 4pm) and was told our room wasn't ready - it's not 4pm. Front desk said to come back at 4pm to check. So, we went to Mimi's Dock for a cocktail while we waited for the room. Funny thing is, we also met some other people there waiting for their rooms as well, so we made some friends. We got into our room a little after 4pm and the unit was decent. We had a nice deck facing the ocean. It was the best part of the room The living room area was fine space wise. dining table was pushed up against the wall in a corner next to the bathroom door (not very inviting while eating). Kitchen was ok for us since we only cook breakfast. Bathroom was small with one door leading to dining/living area and a second door leading into bedroom. Only one sink and a tub/shower. Bedroom was decent as well. Closet (or at least I thing that's what they call it) is very narrow with a safe on the floor so you don't have closet space to speak of. Kitchen comes with dishwasher, ice maker and small appliances, etc. They do not provide any coffee, s&p, etc., so you have to purchase all those things yourself. Since we were out all day anyway, the unit was sufficient. You do have to pay for electric use. We averaged $10 a day but had the air on all the time, used the dishwasher, and such. The down side is that we arrived on Saturday and everything is closed on Sunday. So we had to food shop when we got there before the store closed. It's a big problem if you arrive on Sunday. There is a small shopping center within walking distance. They have a small supermarket, liquor store, gift and clothing store and an Italian restaurant (which wasn't opened yet for the season when we were there). You are allowed to fill up the shopping cart and take it with you to the resort if you buy more than you can carry back. Another down side was finding out the concierge services are closed Saturday and Sunday so we were on our own all weekend as to what and where to find things. Then of course, the concierge is extremely busy on Mondays after everyone has arrived over the weekend and want information so expect to wait for assistance. The resort itself is clean, the Grand's swimming pool and swim up bar are great, the beaches are nice with chairs and huts. The ocean is very rocky so water shoes are a must!! I found the water by the Grand (the right side of the dock) not as rocky as the left side of the dock. Snorkeling around the dock is great. Water is clear with many fish of all sizes. Mimi's Dock has some great apps, David's restaurant food is good as well. Monday night's welcome party was a lot of fun and laughs and the food was good but it's buffet style (not one of my favorites) with only one portion per person. By the time you stand on long lines and then walk back to your table, food is cold. The bartender David was awesome!! Such a friendly guy and is always busy doing something but never misses saying hello and fixing your favorite drink for you as soon as you sit down. Wonderful person and he's the only one in the resort that really made our visit feel special and made it more enjoyable. Our housekeeping experience was a joke! They never did our room until 4 or 5pm. Sometimes we got two towels, sometimes four, two days we got fresh washcloths and hand towels and none the other days even though we left our dirty towels on the floor to be picked up and replaced. Once they ran the dishwasher while we were out when there was only two plates and a few cups in it. The rest of the week no - even thoughit was full of dirty dishes. They never washed dishes or even put them in the dishwasher if we forgot and left something in the sink. One day they made the bed and put the bedspread back on. The rest of the week the bedspread was stuck in a corner on the table. I called for some clean towels first thing in the morning and was just told "ok" and they never came. The resort itself is in a nice location, quiet, and just being on the beach, the ocean, is always great for us. The Grand pool is beautiful, dock bar is fun, restaurant is good and you make your own fun and enjoyment being there. The Tortuga Dive Shop is the best and is right on the beach. Warm and friendly people service you there and they are extremely helpful. We do travel a number of times during the year and I was happy we went but don't think I would put this one on my "must go back" list. I wasn't impressed with the unit (been to nicer places) nor with most of the staff.

Room Tip: Get a unit at The Grand. The building is new and units nicer. The beaches are better and ocean not...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank OnTheRoadAgain724
Spicewood, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

On the east end, you don't need a car if you are content to hang out at the resort. There are a couple restaurants within walking distance - The Italian Kitchen, Subway, The Reef/Rusty Pelican, and 3 restaurants on site - David's, Ivan's, and Mimi's Dock Bar & Grill. There is also a free shuttle to Tukka's down the road. The condos themselves are nice, but ours did not have ceiling fans and after hearing the horror stories from other RCI members about electricity charges we wished we had them rather than relying strictly on A/C. The kitchen was pretty minimal on stuff - there are no little gift baskets like with most resorts - stuff you need on the first day like small coffee serving, salt/pepper, package of microwave popcorn, etc, and since we arrived on Sunday and the stores were closed this was an issue for us. Kitchen has most of what you need, but nothing to measure with. We were able to cook everything we wanted to without any problems. The Queen sized bed was ok as were the pillows, I certainly had little problems sleeping. You have about 10 hangers provided, a 6 drawer dresser, 2 nightstands with drawers and cabinets underneath.

The living/dining room had a glass topped table with 4 chairs, a papasan chair, pull-out couch coffee table, 2 end tables, DVD, flat screen tv with 37 channels. Would have liked a radio of some sort or music channel on tv.

We had some issues with the bathroom, we found trash from the previous tenant behind the toilet so cleaning crew wasn't overly thorough. The grab bar in the tub was loose, the door on the bathroom cabinet was falling off and the hair dryer quit working while were there. The door was a quick fix with my swiss army knife, and maintenance quickly replaced the hair dryer.

You will be greeted with a tip envelope on the first day from your maid. We asked our host/concierge what was appropriate and he said CI$5/day for good service which should include floors, dishes, bed, towels, trash. Our maid didn't do a very good job, in fact on her last day she was sure to leave us another envelope, but didn't sweep up the dead cockroach in the middle of the floor. BTW, we saw 2 cockroaches during our stay, nothing we freaked out about, given the climate. She did our dishes once and made our bed once (we made it pretty much every day). The floors weren't ever very clean other than a quick dry mop. We weren't impressed by the maid service and our tip reflected that. It also irritated us that we would turn off the A/C when we left and find it on and cold when we got back. More than once we found our sliding glass door left unlocked when we were positive it was locked when we left. We had heard other people had issues with theft and we were in a ground floor unit so this upset us.

Safes are provide in the room and we used ours every time we left the unit. The resort grounds are well maintained. They are building a new unit so there is construction in the middle of the grounds, but it wasn't an issue for us. The beach towel service was easy to use and free. The pools and hot tubs were nice. The swim up bars were ok, but hit and miss sometimes on when there would be a bartender there. We didn't participate in any of the activities other than the Monday night welcome party which was campy but fun. The Carribean Jerk food buffet was average and not something I would do again. We had a car so we didn't really try any of the onsite food other than the one night.

The front desk staff was helpful though not overly friendly. Twice we locked our key in our room and they gave us a replacement no questions asked. The no questions asked part bothered me because the never even asked our names! Our host Rob was very pleasant and helpful in recommending places to see and where to eat and wasn't overly pushy on buying a unit. The prices right now on units is very reasonable (3 weeks for ~CI$8000).

There are 3 pools, tennis courts, beach volley ball, bocci, shuffleboard, a spa, and arcade/fun room for kids. We didn't do any of those activities so I can't comment on them. Red Sail Sports / Tortuga Divers is right on site and I can't say enough nice things about their staff. Great folks, decent rates, I definitely recommend them.

Mimi's bar was a nice place to enjoy a beverage on the ocean. Ben aka Fabulous Fabio was a great bartender with a wonderful personality and made our stay very fun.

The beach is nice with shaded areas and chaise lounge chairs. People complain about it being rocky, but it isn't that bad. Very shallow beach area and plenty of aquatic life - fish, eels, lobster, etc to see for snorkeling. Lots of tarpon right under the dock and Stinky aka Randy the dolphin came on a few days - be careful of him! He isn't a pet and apparently he is looking for a mate and willing to consider you for the job.

We had fun and would definitely stay here again. RCI guests pay an additional $10/day fee + electricity. Our usage for 7 days was $85 US and we were very diligent about turning off stuff and leaving AC turned up (off when were gone).

Room Tip: If you aren't an owner you have little chance of getting an ocean view. We had no issue with ha...
5 Thank stever761
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Just returned yesterday, October 27th, and didn't want to leave. We had a pool side townhouse and it was perfect! Although we were dealing with high winds and rough waters, we still enjoyed ourselves. The pools are wonderful, especially the infinity pool at the Grands, the seashore is cleaned from the seaweed every morning, and is the perfect place to rest, relax and enjoy the sights. The waitstaff at the bars and restaurants are exceptional! We felt like part of the family everyday, and can't wait to back next year to visit!! Thanks for a wonderful, relaxing vacation!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kiki N
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

2 must have's - water shoes and a car. The resort is in a very desolate area. The resort was very accomadating and the staff was always very professional. We stayed in a 1 bdr unit with a pool view. We enjoyed all the kitties on property. We were glad to see hurricane Sandy jump past us. The snorkling was fun. The food was great at Mimi's. We enjoyed watching them feed all the left overs to the fish. Our utility bill was $46.00 and they also charge a $10.00 daily tax on the unit. All and all we had a great time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Sue33364
Colonial Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is the 5th hotel I have stayed at in Grand Cayman. The last time I stayed on the East End I stayed at the Reef. From my perception at that time, it seemed like there was more going on at Morritts, so that's why I picked it this time. Keep in mind, I already knew what it was like to stay on the East End, so I am not reviewing this property based on anything but the property itself.
First I will say that I got an incredible deal on my stay. It was 7 days for $399.99 through Sears Vacations. I had e-mailed the property in advance to get transportation from the airport, because it is a hike. They gave me the name of their preferred provider, and he met me at the airport. I thought the price was pretty good ($40.00 US). I shared the taxi with another group from the flight. When we arrived, there was no one at the reception desk. We were able to get someone to come out from the back to check us in, but that kind of set the tone for the entire experience for me. It never changed. The desk clerks did not stay at their post, but they retreated to their back offices. The employees that worked at the desk had lacking customer service skills, and so did their supervisors. I found it interesting that the property is expanding, yet no one in management speaks to the customers or employees.. It seems like the only important customers are the time share ones (the golden turtles). During my entire stay, the only friendly people were housekeeping and maintenance. The spa associates were OK, but they were a part of La Mer on the island so they ran from hotel to hotel. On a positive note, the rooms are nice and clean. The beach is better than that of the Reef (actually swimmable). The pools are plentiful, but they are not taken care of on a daily basis (you will swim through bugs). Anyway, after 4 days I had enough, and I went back to 7-mile.

Room Tip: You are actually better off at Tortuga Club than Grand at this point. The Construction of Brittania...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Stephvabeach
ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Just returned. Was there Oct 13 to 20. We were also an RCI Exchange into the resort. We were in the Morritts Grand (the newer buidings), who all have a beautiful view of the water and are literally on the beach, 35 feet from the water. It is not true that you cannot exchange into the grand from RCI; you have to be careful when you select the resort on RCI as they are listed individually on the RCI exchange (The Tortuga Club and the Morritts Grand).

Yes there is construction, but while we were there, it was fairly quiet, did not bother us a bit. If you sat on the beach in front of either of the Grand buildings or at the Grand pool you would not be bothered at all by it.

I wont repeat what everyone has said a bunch of times... location and sites to see etc.., but I will tell you that when you show up for happy hour (4pm to 6) you need to verify what you are ordering is actually part of happy hour, as not all drinks are included and they neglect to mention it, so when I went down for 2 for 1 drinks I ended up spending $8 dollars each for 4 SMALL pina coladas (you would think that a basic rum drink would be included in happy hour).

We did get beer from the liquor store across the street; we bought "what the locals drink" which is a beer called 345, its basically $1CI (1.20USD) a beer, which is very reasonable and we were able to take that down to the beach withought any grief from anyone. I did read in the reviews that it was frowned upon to bring your own drinks to the pool areas, but I saw many people walking around with their own and no one seemed to bother them. So worth it to pick up one of those little lightweight coolers to hold a six pack on ice and bring down to the beach chairs and relax.

Definately for inexpensive quick lunch, the subway has the $5 footlong deal, within walking distance. We also bouth $1.59 pizza's and inexpensive ingredients for homemade fajitas and we were good for lots of in room meals.

The Electricity; we were in a 1 bedroom. When we walked into the room, we turned off the air conditioner. Dont get me wrong, I like air conditioning, and while we were there is was between 85 & 90 degrees and sunny every day, but in the room it was really nice without the airconditioning. In the Grand there are cieling fans in living room and bedroom, and a nice breeze coming in from the ocean. Our charge for the week was $31 USD, even though we used the oven, stove and coffee maker every day.

Overall, nice quiet place to get away.

3 Thank vac8tionJunkie
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,518 reviews
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,854 reviews
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
#3 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,646 reviews

Been to Morritts Tortuga Club and Resort? Share your experiences!