“The real taste of Cayman”
Review of Vivine's Kitchen

Vivine's Kitchen
Ranked #6 of 9 Restaurants in East End
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I can't think of a better way to eat lunch. Order out the back of a local house, sit in the backyard admiring the view while sipping homemade mango juice, eat true Cayman food (grilled chicken tenders are real pieces of real chicken!). Please the prices are great!

1  Thank Mary P

Reviewed October 8, 2013

This place is not fancy but it was simple good local food. We ordered carrot/ginger juice and mango juice. The carrot/ginger was a little too sweet to my taste but it was still good. Mango juice was very good. We had the fried fish and salted beef and beans for entries, both were very good! The portion was generous and the food was tasty!

Again, this place is simple and rustic. Many people get take out from here, it might not be a bad option if you want to eat the food at a more scenic place.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We took a private tour of the island. Our driver Lynn took us to this local restaurant. Three of our group got Salted Beef with Beans and gave it rave reviews. I had the fish, which was good also. The bathroom was clean also..always a plus for me.

1  Thank L K
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have not read reviews for this place so I could give my honest perspective. Upon arrival we were confused as to where to park. No parking lot or direction of any kind, we couldn't imagine we just pulled in the driveway next to the owners vehicle but that's exactly what we had to do. There were two ladies that told us to sit where we would like so we went to a nice spot in the shade overlooking the ocean. No one else was there so we chose what we thought was THE best place. Well, it had a fabulous view of the ocean IF you looked straight out....do not look down at all the garbage collecting at the base of the restaurant, it is kind of a put off. There are no menus, the 'waitress' told us what was on the menu for the day. Sadly my husband was looking forward to the goat curry but we were told it would be there the next day...the day we were leaving of course. Descriptions of the meals and sides were not clear and so we all just had something we thought we were safe with ribs, grouper and fried chicken. We were all pleasantly surprised, the food was so good. Despite the fact we were fighting off ants the entire time we were there and that no-one ever came to check on us or give us a check. I finally went inside to find a different woman behind a table in the kitchen to pay....I only hope I paid correctly as we were never given prices either. Not sure if I would go back or not....I know things are really laid back in the islands and I love that but the atmosphere was not quite right here.

2  Thank 38Angie3
Reviewed September 17, 2013

On our recent trip to Grand Cayman, we wanted to try some local caribbean food, so asked a few locals for recommendations. Ms. Vivian's kitchen was always on the list and since it was close to where we were staying, we decided to give it a try. The eating area is on the back of a home, overlooking the water. You feel like you are pulling into someone's driveway and eating off their back yard, which was somewhat quaint. Out of our party of four, we each tried separate dishes-fish, chicken and beef. The chicken was the "color" of beef and literally tasted like beef. When our waitress was questioned about if our order might have been mixed up, she took our friend's fork and proceeded to root through the plate, announcing that there was a chicken bone. My fish was cold and rubbery. Our meals were almost non edible. We had rum cake for dessert, which was delicious. A few days later, in talking about the meal with some other locals, they stated that Ms. Vivian had recently hired some different cooks and the food had gone "downhill". Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this restaurant.

2  Thank omaumeg12